New around here! Question about updates!

Started by crabby654, January 05, 2015, 07:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crabby654

Hey all! So I recently bought the game and am 100% in love with it so far!

However I had a question. I notice the changelog gets update frequently and I am foaming at the mouth for the next release of the game. Out of curiosity how often do new versions of the game come out?

I'm mainly curious just because I don't know if my saves are compatible with newer versions, I assume no?

Snownova

It used to be roughly every month, but alpha 8 took about 3 months and Tynan has indicated that he prefers to do larger updates with more time between them, in order to work more efficiently.

So Alpha 9 should be out early March I think.

I'm afraid I can't tell you if saves are compatible between alphas, since I play with a lot of mods so I always start over when a new alpha comes out.

Coenmcj

G'day Crabby! Welcome to the forums! :)

Before Alpha 8 it was approximately 33~ days between Updates, as Snownova said, Tynan has indicated he wants to expand the gap so he can fit in more with each update and to give testers more time to find the more game-breaking bugs that have occured in the past.

If you're running full vanilla, your saves should be compatible with the next update, but it's suggested to start a new world and colony to make full use of all the newer features

You could also keep a copy of Alpha8 when you update to Alpha9, as you can run two versions of rimworld at the same time, provided you can remember which worlds/saves are from which, allowing yourself to run mods from the earlier version if you modded at all, while you wait for them to update to Alpha9.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

crabby654

Awesome! Thank you guys for the replies much appreciated. At least I can now play without fear of loosing it tomorrow :)

Tynan

Quote from: Coenmcj on January 05, 2015, 08:40:15 AM
If you're running full vanilla, your saves should be compatible with the next update, but it's suggested to start a new world and colony to make full use of all the newer features

Quick correction - we've never maintained save compatibility between alphas and there's a good chance we never will.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Coenmcj

Quote from: Tynan on January 05, 2015, 10:25:33 PM
Quote from: Coenmcj on January 05, 2015, 08:40:15 AM

Quick correction - we've never maintained save compatibility between alphas and there's a good chance we never will.

I Have noticed times where my saves have worked between Alphas, Albeit considering the code changes that have been going on I can see why one would say they're incompatible. thanks for the correction.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite