What is the Tale system?

Started by Reolos, January 16, 2015, 06:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reolos

Hello all. The changelog today mentioned "the Tale system". Care to elaborate?

TheSilencedScream

As far as I'm aware, Tynan has yet to elaborate on it. Looking forward to it, though!
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

evrett33

Its part of clothing redesign that adds emoticons to the drones outfit.  You equip your colonists with a t-shirt and a message reflecting their thoughts and feeling scrolls across their midriff. It also enables crime fighting abilities which will be important in a future feature update. 

REMworlder

Pretty sure it gives units articulable tails. Sleek, slexy, slender tails will give native animals the ability to hold and use items. Eg, squirrels can hold shivs, muffalo can carry doomsday rockets.

_
If I had to speculate, I'd say something like below. The idea being that Tynan's taking another pass at how players review their game or their progress in the game so far, as Tynan recently prettied up the spaceship ending. But this is pure speculation. Pristine. The finest you'll find on the market.

Quote from: TynanI hadn't ever thought of just a straight up text log, but it's another possible way to do it. The tough thing is making the computer understand the significance of events and ignore the ones that don't matter. I wonder if we could even ask players to write their own logs as they play? Hmmm.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40.msg241#msg241

Coenmcj

Quote from: REMworlder on January 16, 2015, 07:18:37 PM
Pretty sure it gives units articulable tails. Sleek, slexy, slender tails will give native animals the ability to hold and use items. Eg, squirrels can hold shivs, muffalo can carry doomsday rockets.

_
If I had to speculate, I'd say something like below. The idea being that Tynan's taking another pass at how players review their game or their progress in the game so far, as Tynan recently prettied up the spaceship ending. But this is pure speculation. Pristine. The finest you'll find on the market.

Quote from: TynanI hadn't ever thought of just a straight up text log, but it's another possible way to do it. The tough thing is making the computer understand the significance of events and ignore the ones that don't matter. I wonder if we could even ask players to write their own logs as they play? Hmmm.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40.msg241#msg241

my,my... Havn't you done some research? If it's in any way similiar to that, It would definitely be easier than tabbing out to Notepad every few minutes.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

FridayBiology

text log,
... day 90, its -64C outside and Frank cooked a simple meal with human meat. Mark is going to kill everyone ... Mark started to kill everyone ... Jess arrested Mark ...
... day 91, ...Mark was released into the colony, everything is fine ... Mark ate simple meal ...
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

Ramsis

Quote from: Feirfec on January 16, 2015, 09:12:05 PM
text log,
... day 90, its -64C outside and Frank cooked a simple meal with human meat. Mark is going to kill everyone ... Mark started to kill everyone ... Jess arrested Mark ...
... day 91, ...Mark was released into the colony, everything is fine ... Mark ate simple meal ...

Actually I'll be honest Feirfec... I really like your idea. Maybe not as the tale system but a day by day diary like function that pulls in a crap ton of variables as well as a large library of definitive words and then tell the player a story based on what the colonist did, experienced, said, etc.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

BattleFalcon

Quote from: Ramsis on January 16, 2015, 09:50:08 PM
Quote from: Feirfec on January 16, 2015, 09:12:05 PM
text log,

Actually I'll be honest Feirfec... I really like your idea. Maybe not as the tale system but a day by day diary like function that pulls in a crap ton of variables as well as a large library of definitive words and then tell the player a story based on what the colonist did, experienced, said, etc.

That sounds awesome. Maybe not every day, and have RNG determine if that day will be logged? Or if there is a significant event (Eclipse, solar flare, raid, crashed ship part, ect.) it will automatically log it, regardless of RNG.

June 7th, year 2.

Today I ate a fine meal, it had squirrel and berries in it. I hauled things for a few hours, then The Dogs raided us. I shot two of their soldiers with my R4. Blair got shot in the arm, but Jung patched her up.
Look for Cassandra "Cassie" Ryan ingame! That's me!

ZestyLemons

I'm guessing that people above me are right. Maybe it's a simplified dorf fortress Legends kinda thing.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

Shinzy

whatever it is it has to be better than my notepad which I stopped updating after very soon and just copy pasted links in it instead
BUt it did have the makings of a very good story already =P
naked traveler joined me and right 10 seconds later immediate pirate attack spawns behind her as if they were chasing her got her clothes from their dead bodies after I ran halfway across the map to engage them
I just like to think she was an escapee and being chased, not just random events

and then later tribals spawn right on top of my hunter
total ambush! bashed him in the face with a club and picked him up and left

anyway! without any further derailing! *excited about tale system*

milon

milon

Also:

(Sorry for double-posting. Copy/paste and editing is quite difficult from a "smart" phone.)

OldVamp

it kinda does that in the history log, if you read the little dots at the top
It may be working as intended, but
what was intended is not working.

FridayBiology

Remember children, only animals murder people brutally. :P

I'll have to note down the little things more now on.
Though there are a heap of new you-tubers playing rimworld who've added a "ships log" kindof thing to their videos.
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

stefanstr

If the tale system is in fact what you are speculating it is, it can be awesome if done right - but really bland if done poorly.

I think it is not an easy task to have the game determine which events are memorable and record them in an interesting way. The logs/tales can easily get either very repetitive, too verbose, or missing events which are defining from the human perspective.

Either way, I am very curious what Tynan comes up with.