Heat pipes

Started by Sion, January 29, 2015, 11:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sion

I have built a Thermal Generator inside a room, and I noticed that it become really hot inside, so I thought: "I wish there were a piping system for hot/cold air in RimWorld".

The generator house is standing alone, a bit away from the base, but I would want to pipe the hot air over to the base, without needing to build some kind of ugly corridor between the base & generator.
  I would also wish that the colonists can path find over the pipe instead of having to walk around the entire complex, it would be even more awesome if the pipes could be underground (like the underground belts & pipes in the game: Factorio)
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

FridayBiology

Mod it?

use the conduit code as a basic starter.
create an object for "heat in/out"
> heat conduit connects to objects.
> allow some heat loss as the ground would receive heat transfer
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

Sion

I wish I could, but I don't know anything about modding RimWorld.

rbos

This is good. In arctic maps, I build agricultural zones whenever I can in areas fed by geothermal heat, so as to survive solar flares. They can live without power, but losing heat destroys them. Steam pipes would make that simpler.

ousire

How difficult might this be to add in? a conduit structure that just tries to equalize heat between any two structures you connect a heat vent to would be awesome

FridayBiology

Quote from: ousire on February 02, 2015, 12:18:30 AM
How difficult might this be to add in? a conduit structure that just tries to equalize heat between any two structures you connect a heat vent to would be awesome

I don't know about equalling via use of conduits. Would it be easier to equalize via objects? (connect multiple objects via conduit-type?
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

Nolic0321

Hey OP I like this idea and wouldn't mind taking a stab at looking at trying to make a mod.  I haven't done one yet but this seems like a simple enough one to get my feet wet ;)  I'll be sure to give you credit as this was your idea.

Sion

Quote from: Nolic0321 on February 02, 2015, 06:18:33 AM
Hey OP I like this idea and wouldn't mind taking a stab at looking at trying to make a mod.  I haven't done one yet but this seems like a simple enough one to get my feet wet ;)  I'll be sure to give you credit as this was your idea.

Thank you! Go ahead, and good luck!
Please post a link to the mod when you are done.

Nolic0321

Quote from: Sion on February 02, 2015, 03:26:06 PM
Quote from: Nolic0321 on February 02, 2015, 06:18:33 AM

Thank you! Go ahead, and good luck!
Please post a link to the mod when you are done.

Awesome!  it might be a little as i'm new to the Rimworld modding scene but i'm hoping to have something sooner rather than later ;)

Sion

Great! And if I find some bugs that I can assume comes from your mod (instead of from some of the other mods that I have installed) I'll let you know, after all, that's my work here.