[A13] Combat Realism v.1.6.5 (08.05.16) Final release

Started by NoImageAvailable, January 29, 2015, 12:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ActionCow

Hey, thanks so much for updating the base mod. It feels so good having my 15 shooting guy dome an entire tribe of raiders across the map.
Any plans to update the defense portion of the mod too?

skyarkhangel

Quote from: Kagemusha12 on August 09, 2016, 06:29:53 PM
Perhaps it would be a good idea, to open a new thread, Skyarkhangel ... maybe "[A14]Combat Realism - Reborn"  or something like this.

This would give you the ability to edit the Opening Posting (and, for example, keep the link to the newest version updated, as well as put infos to the newest version therein) :)

Oh and thanks for updating the mod, after the original creator has left the ship :)

I'll think about it. Currently already have some reworks, which would require to update all CR compatibility patches that add weapons. At first need to work and work with CR, so we will not hurry with the opening of a new thread.

Reviire

Quote from: skyarkhangel on August 10, 2016, 05:20:44 AM
Quote from: Kagemusha12 on August 09, 2016, 06:29:53 PM
Perhaps it would be a good idea, to open a new thread, Skyarkhangel ... maybe "[A14]Combat Realism - Reborn"  or something like this.

This would give you the ability to edit the Opening Posting (and, for example, keep the link to the newest version updated, as well as put infos to the newest version therein) :)

Oh and thanks for updating the mod, after the original creator has left the ship :)

I'll think about it. Currently already have some reworks, which would require to update all CR compatibility patches that add weapons. At first need to work and work with CR, so we will not hurry with the opening of a new thread.
Mind sharing what some of those re-works are? Also, will explosions be fixed any time soon?

Quote from: Gizogin on March 16, 2012, 11:59:01 PM
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Chainlinc3

So, I've started trying to do compatibility patches for CR and other mods as something of a personal project because I figured it'll help me learn more about Rimworld modding, while having the convenient side effect of getting me compatible versions of mods that I want for my ideal modpack.

The trouble is, I'm not clear on what precisely needs to be done to make a mod Combat Realism compatible.  I've poked around in the XML of a few mods enough to see the obvious things (CR weapons have a different set of tags), but I'm not sure if there are farther reaching changes that need to be made elsewhere as well (specifically, I haven't seen anything about height that I can remember).  Compounding that, I'm not entirely sure what all the CR tags do-- most of the names make intuitive sense, but without units on them it's hard to say what appropriate values would be.

Other questions I've been wondering about:

• Do mods adding manned/unmanned turrets require anything extra?  I think I saw recall a post on More Vanilla Turrets indicating that their turrets will never fire when CR is installed.  I assume it's a height thing?
  • If a mod adds any form of cover, I'm guessing it needs a height value as well?  Where should that go?  I haven't found a good example to work from.
  • I don't THINK armor needs compatibility work, but... I'm learning on the fly here, so I could be completely wrong.  If it does, what does that entail?.
In short, I'd appreciate a crash course on what CR is doing and how I go about working with it.  If anyone with experience could give me a brief rundown, I'd appreciate it a lot.  I'm programming savvy, so you don't need to dumb things down too much for me.  I have also seen the modding tutorials on the wiki and started working through them-- I haven't finished, but you don't need to worry about explaining the basics of Rimworld modding in general.  Info specific to CR is all I really need, assuming anyone has that knowledge lying around and feels like sharing.  If not... well, trial and error and in-depth research it is.  I'm reasonably sure I CAN figure this out myself, I'm just trying to save some time and effort.

Anyway, longpost is long.  Sorry if I rambled a bit there.  Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any help you guys (and gals) can offer.

PS- Not sure if anyone cares, but the specific mod I'm looking at right now is Medieval Times, with my goal possibly expanding to include GlitterTech and/or More Vanilla Turrets if I think I can do so with a reasonable amount of effort.  If the work seems REALLY easy, I might even try to do Rimsenal... but that adds a lot of weapons, and a quick look at stats doesn't make them seem super balanced to begin with, so doing a good job on that would be hard.

Reviire

Hey, Skyarkangel, any chance you could change Throwbigexplode so rather than calling a specific mote, we could define it under the projectile? I'd like to change the mote that some explosions use.

I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

RetPaladinlol

Hi guys, looking for some advice here. I would like to remove certain ammo types from the mod. For example with the Assault Rifle I just want to keep the FMJ type ammo and remove the HP and AP type from the game. Which lines in the xml would I have to tinker with in order to do this? I also want enemies to only spawn with the FMJ ammo type. This will make the game a lot less cluttery for me.

Reviire

Quote from: RetPaladinlol on August 12, 2016, 05:00:17 AM
Hi guys, looking for some advice here. I would like to remove certain ammo types from the mod. For example with the Assault Rifle I just want to keep the FMJ type ammo and remove the HP and AP type from the game. Which lines in the xml would I have to tinker with in order to do this? I also want enemies to only spawn with the FMJ ammo type. This will make the game a lot less cluttery for me.
Just remove the ammoset line for the assault rifle, IIRC it uses FMJ as a default.

RetPaladinlol

Quote from: Reviire on August 12, 2016, 05:08:22 AM
Just remove the ammoset line for the assault rifle, IIRC it uses FMJ as a default.

Thanks for the reply Reviire. I removed the ammoset line for all the weapons in the Weapons_Guns xml but that just got me unlimited ammo and enemies will now fail to reload their weapons. Any other suggestions or did I mess up?

Reviire

Quote from: RetPaladinlol on August 12, 2016, 06:53:50 AM
Quote from: Reviire on August 12, 2016, 05:08:22 AM

Thanks for the reply Reviire. I removed the ammoset line for all the weapons in the Weapons_Guns xml but that just got me unlimited ammo and enemies will now fail to reload their weapons. Any other suggestions or did I mess up?
Oh you wanted to remove certain ammo types, my bad. You'll fine various ammo related stuff in the mods folder at ThingDefs_Ammo (Which defines the ammo and what projectile it's linked to), AmmoSetDefs (which does something like telling what ammo types are part of what ammosets), and AmmoCategoryDefs, which also is relevant.

RetPaladinlol

Great, thank you. Will mess around with those files to see what I can do.

Exende

Random question:  Are hash collisions a bad thing?  Because I am playing with the error and thus far have no adverse effects that I am aware of.  I know the error is because of me changing the mod order of CR

Reviire

Quote from: Exende on August 13, 2016, 10:29:11 AM
Random question:  Are hash collisions a bad thing?  Because I am playing with the error and thus far have no adverse effects that I am aware of.  I know the error is because of me changing the mod order of CR
Errors in general are generally bad.

Sylph

There doesn't seem to be any visual effect for thermobaric weapons, though they still do damage. Also, my colonists no longer seem to carry a meal with them so if they get hungry while outside the base they have to walk all the way back.

Grogfeld

Quote from: Sylph on August 14, 2016, 03:27:33 AM
There doesn't seem to be any visual effect for thermobaric weapons, though they still do damage. Also, my colonists no longer seem to carry a meal with them so if they get hungry while outside the base they have to walk all the way back.

If you don't put in your loadout meal, then they won't carry it. The only scenario that pawn will carry food without loadout is when he is a trainer but then you can have loop where he will try to put it into inventory and drop it on the ground. So my advise is  GIVE YOUR TRAINER A NOTHING LOADOUT. it's the only way he won't use autoload mechanics :)