[Request] Graphics modding without redefining XMLs

Started by Telkir, January 29, 2015, 02:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telkir

Yeah, it's this topic again.  ::)

In quite a few other games that support modding (e.g. Oblivion / Skyrim) you can change the textures of anything in the game simply by placing a suitable graphic file in the correct path.

Now I know Tynan responded to a similar question just a couple of months ago about this sort of thing -

Quote from: Tynan on November 10, 2014, 01:17:02 AM
Nothing I've done as of yet will make this use case easier. I'm afraid that if you want to change graphics, in the current system you do have to copy all the XML defs and change the graphics paths to your own. There's no specific way to mod graphics only.

Is it planned for graphics-only modding to be improved sometime in the future? Dare I ask if there's any ETA?

I know this is restating the obvious (sorry!) but the ideal way for any mod wanting to change the graphic(s) for a vanilla item would be to simply have a correctly named and pathed graphic within the mod's "Textures" folder, rather than redefining the entire XML.

As more and more mods are being released, compatiblity is becoming a bit of a nightmare and this change would help a lot. I know inter-mod compatibility isn't Tynan's problem, it's ours, but it can't hurt to ask I hope. :)

jabbamonkey

I am all for this (especially considering I'm a designer, with little coding ability)

SuperCaffeineDude

I'd love to see something like this, this stuff is a real stumbling block for me. Would love a quick-fire way to do this through a mod or as feature.

RawCode