[MOD] (Alpha 8) Prison-o-mat (V1.0 30-01-2015)

Started by Rikiki, January 30, 2015, 05:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikiki

Prison-o-mat

Delivering food in the middle of hostile and hungry convicts is not the most enjoying task. Why do it yourself while a machine can do it for you?

Features

Adds the prison-o-mat: a hardened version of the nutrient paste dispenser, specially designed to feed your hungry prisonners.

Notes:

• The interraction cell of the prison-o-mat must be in a prison room.
  • Your colonists cannot use this machine, even when not in a prison!

Technical support

I am continuously trying to improve my mods. Please leave me your feedback!
I will enjoy any advice. :)

Changelog

V1.0
* Alpha 8 initial release.

Compatibility notes

Fully compatible with any mod. No need to restart a new colony. :)

Credits
None for now.

License

You are free to get inspiration from this little work and include it in any other mod/modpack. Just put a link to this thread so people can use it as a standalone version too.
So this is basically licensed under http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/.

Note to modpacker: not that I don't want to help, but I have very little time to mod/play so I may not be very fast to answer integration questions.

Download

Prison-o-mat V1.0
Prison-o-mat V1.0 source => for modders

Xiupan

Nice! Very useful for my slave cam... I mean, retreat camps... yes... >_>

Rikiki

The Prison-o-mat texture is only temporary.
If a skilled texture artist is passing by... (Shinzy, mrofa, are you there?) ;D

Vonholtz

Wait we need to feed the prisoners? Now I know what I am doing wrong. LoL In some of my games I will just dump the past thing in and let them feed them selfs. Now what you need is some way to feed bedridden prisoners that would even be better.

Iwillbenicetou

Droids! a prison droid that would monitor the prison, and stun any rioting prisoners. (close range stun). It would also heal and feed and do operations. Maybe have a special door +wall type thing that transports materials from the outside world. The door could only be opened by the droid/colonists (using colonist key)
Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

Facepunch

palandus

Interesting idea. How about other prison-themed items such as:

Prison Beds = They are quite uncomfortable and encourage prisoners to be recruited into the colony, where the beds are nicer. Probably requires coding but, whenever they sleep in a Prison Bed, their recruitment threshold is reduced making it easier for them to be recruited.

Prison Doors = These doors allow a prisoners to open and close. It allows them to have small one bed rooms, but have a larger common area when they are awake. This is so that they don't get the "sharing bedroom" debuff, and it allows a player to make small 2x2 or 1x2 rooms for prisoners to sleep in, but not stay in permanently.

Prison Meals = These are of an even lower quality than normal meals, and encourages them to join the colony where the food is better. Probably requires coding, but eating any prison meal reduces their recruitment threshold (and thus it is easier to recruit them)

Justice Field (Idea taken from Red Dwarf) = Basically anyone inside the justice field inflicts their intended evils on others, inflicted upon themselves. Probably requires coding, but any time they attack someone, they hit themselves instead. What use would this be for? Well, prisoners can have mental breaks and enter rampages, where they attack their fellow prisoners, so this Justice Field would cause them to hurt themselves (and thus knock themselves out faster and make them a non-threat for the guards coming in to subdue them).

Thoughts?

Rikiki

Thanks everybody! :)

@Iwillbenicetou: does not the Mechanical defense mod already contain specialized droids?

@palandus: while you have good ideas, I will not mod it for now.
- prison beds and and meals: if I were a prisonner, I would prefer to be well treated to join my guards. If considered like a dog, joining them would not be my first idea: "kill, kill!..." oh wait, a stirring machine is talking to me so bad things! ;)
- prison doors: this has already been tried by master Haplo. If he failed at it, I doubt I will manage to do better.
- justice field: your most interresting idea. Requires however a loooot of coding and I have no such time for now... :P
Thanks for you suggestions, it might be implemented by a modder later! :D

wsensor

Would be cool if you could add in different sizes like the Mini NPD does.
When I bother to use the NPD I use the 1x one mod but sometimes I use the other shapes depends on which one i want to install.

eatKenny

you're welcome 8)

[attachment deleted due to age]

palandus

The reason I suggested those "harsh" prison items is because an actual prisoner in Rimworld, is actually more inclined to not join the colony. Why? Because in a prison cell, they get free food, free heat, free medical and free sleeping arrangements, which is probably 100x better than what they had in their previous "job / career" as a raider. As a raider, they probably were never guaranteed food for the day, or even a warm place to stay or even had an actual bed to sleep on. So, they would be incentivized to "milk" the system a player has setup as their prison. Why join the colony and have to work for your food, when I can stay a prisoner and get free food, and don't have to work at all? This is the perspective I'm coming from when suggesting these ideas.

In my opinion, to get raiders to join the colony, you would have to convince them that staying in the prison is WORSE than joining the colony. That's why I see that having very bad accommodations would incentivize "privileged" raiders living the "good life" in prison to join the colony. At least that's my view.

Now, if the world outside the colony was better than the colony (ie you were dealing with a Noble as an example), then yes I would agree that treating them well would encourage them to join the colony, rather than take advantage of the colony's good hospitality, and get free meals, heat, bedding and medical care.

shade88

Will this be updated for A9? Seems like it'd work wonderfully with the Prison Improvements mod.

Rikiki

Sorry but it seems that prisonners are able to feed themselves from the standard NPD in Alpha 9. :)
So just use the standard one. I believe this mod has no reason to be updated. ;)

shade88

Oh okay, I thought it didn't because of the comment in the bugs/issues list of the Prison Improvements mod:
Quote from: Wastelander on February 05, 2015, 01:53:42 AM
- Prisoners don't appear to use food dispensers in the prison as of 9.275 - likely a core game bug.
Also, when I checked the wiki it didn't say that prisoners could use NPDs again (it only said they couldn't since Alpha 7).
Thanks for clearing that up for me! ;D