Let's talk about melee weapons

Started by InfinityKage, February 03, 2015, 06:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boboid

Righto well I'm a clutz when it comes to the wiki so I'd be glad of your assistance there.

A stamp would probably be useful, there's a lot of outdated information on the wiki and some of it is in a questionable format - Weapon attack speed for example is listed in Ticks, but Ticks aren't particularly useful at a glance.   And also Ticks aren't the listed unit of measurement in game, for extra complication!

As for damage types as far as I know weapons only use a single damage type and they're all intuitive, so I can provide those ( Feel free to correct me - Looking at you Tynan :P )

I'll toss you a list of all the melee weapons base stats and damage types.

Actually I'll put it *here* if nobody minds, that way it's accessible for everyone before it's wiki-afied.

A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

milon

^ Yes please  :)

(This is either WAY off topic, or else right on topic.  Not really sure.  But I'm good with it unless the OP says otherwise.)

Boboid

Weapon                     - - - Damage - - - Cooldown - - - Dps - - - Damage Type
Fist                            - - - 7           - - - 1.67s       - - - 4.19 - - - Blunt
Bionic Arm                  - - - 9           - - - 1.67s *       - - - 5.38 - - Blunt
Scyther K. Protrusion  - - - 14          - - - 1.67s *      - - - 8.38 - - - Sharp
Power Claw                - - - 17          - - - 1.67s *      - - - 10.17  - - Sharp
Log                            - - - 8           - - - 1.5            - - - 5.33   - - - Blunt
Gladius                      - - - 13          - - - 1.93s         - - - 6.73   - - Sharp
Longsword                 - - - 20          - - - 2.5s          - - -  8       - - - Sharp
Knife                         - - - 9            - - - 1.67s        - - - 5.38    - - - Sharp
Shiv                          - - - 8            - - - 1.5s          - - - 5.33    - - - Sharp
Spear                        - - - 15          - - - 2.25s        - - - 6         - - - Sharp
Mace                         - - - 15          - - - 2.17          - - - 6.91    - - - Blunt
Club                          - - - 17          - - - 3.17          - - - 5.36    - - - Blunt

* Assumption based on Fist Cooldown

Quick reminder that these are all the base (steel) values and that modifiers apply as such:

(Base x Quality) x Material = Damage
Cooldown / Material = Cooldown

Damage / Cooldown = Dps

Edit: Forgot Log from my list
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

InfinityKage

Quote from: milon on February 03, 2015, 08:56:48 PM
^ Yes please  :)

(This is either WAY off topic, or else right on topic.  Not really sure.  But I'm good with it unless the OP says otherwise.)

I'm  fine with it. This is working out quite well. I think I'll change the title of this post actually.

REMworlder

Just curious, has anyone messed around equipping with things like logs? IIRC it doesn't have an impact, but I might not have been looking in the right places.

Boboid

Quote from: REMworlder on February 04, 2015, 01:41:27 AM
Just curious, has anyone messed around equipping with things like logs? IIRC it doesn't have an impact, but I might not have been looking in the right places.

I included logs in my weapons list above. Logs are 27% better than fists.

Bitharne

Generally: Melee Weapons are quite underrated. My last colony I did I focused on having a good 1/3 of my colonists melee users and it worked rather nicely...though getting squashed by centipedes when they decided to smush me wasn't annoying. 2-3 guys swinging away seems to stunlock a lot of things.

milon

Added remaining melee weapons & stats.  Added damage formulae. Removed 'short sword'.  (That's not still in the game, is it?)

Boboid

Sweet, well done!

Yeah the Short Sword was removed at some point, presumably replaced by the Gladius.

That ought to help people assess the value of melee weapons that's for sure.

Now if only I knew how blunt damage applied to bones :(

InfinityKage

Quote from: milon on February 04, 2015, 12:03:32 PM
Added remaining melee weapons & stats.  Added damage formulae. Removed 'short sword'.  (That's not still in the game, is it?)

Good job mate.

ciditi

Hopefully a simple question, and sorry if this has been covered already but I didn't see it reading through the thread:

Wouldn't a melee weapon with the shortest cooldown time always be preferred to one with a longer cooldown, regardless of the damage?  The apparent stun after getting hit by an enemy's attack would negate the calculated DPS of a weapon, wouldn't it?  Or am I just cultivating very crappy melee fighters?  Thanks in advanced.

Boboid

Pawns aren't stunned after being swung at in melee (Doesn't have to be a hit), however they're temporarily unable to move and have their warm-up reset.

It's important to note that melee weapons have NO warm-up (Time it takes to aim) and as such aren't affected.

If you're trying to chase something then yes a short weapon cooldown is desirable to maximize this effect.

In most cases pawns are unable to fire their ranged weapons when tied up in melee combat - not necessarily because the ranged warmup is longer than the melee's, but rather because most pawns when engaged in melee default to fighting in melee combat rather than attempting to fire their weapon.