Your weirdest habits

Started by ParagonTerminus, September 21, 2014, 10:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ParagonTerminus

Surely everyone has them?

For example, I always tend to leave a small pack of deer/muffalo alive, just in case killing them all ensures they never return and my colonists starve to death.

What about you?
Hi there! I hail from the Sky9, FTL, and Katawa Shoujo forums, so if you're on any of those, I (might) know you.

Now carry along, I'm sure the guy below me has something interesting and contributive to say.

RemingtonRyder

I try not to build on top of trees or plants but clear them out first to make sure I get as much berries/wood as I can, even if I don't really need them.

BetaSpectre

All my buildings will be either circles or squares.
I always keep turrets facing towards the inside of my base.
I will always mine in 4 wide sections at a time.
I will only use nutrient paste dispensors.

-Circle buildings can have colonists ignore the doors to get inside without getting a debuff.
-Turrets facing in means enemy snipers can't do a thing
-Mining 4 x 4 at a time just looks nice
-N. Paste dispensers ensures that I know where my colonists can get food from without having to walk a mile for a snack.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

keylocke

* most of the people i recruit are cannibals, psychopaths, masochists, sanguine, nudist, etc (weird traits but manageable negative effects).
* i store the AI core where i store my potatoes.

Spectre

- I always hand pick my first three colonists. A Vatgrown assassin, an Oaf and a Glitterworld surgeon named Spectre, Wraith and Banshee, after characters I've created. (Makes starting again a bit of a pain xD)

- I save pirates for my colony and save tribals to sell.

- I always mutter 'Goodnight sweet Prince' when I put a colonist out of their misery. (oddly I feel strangely compelled to kill animals that have been hit in my turret crossfire.)

- Despite doing nothing, I always put a plant pot in my bedrooms.

-When I survive a raid I thought would doom me, I always begin building a ship to get out of there. The ensuing resource shortage means the next raid ends me. Every. Time.

- I dislike solar panels.

- I have a irrational fear of boomrats.

- If one of my spacers turns out to be a traitor, if they survive the ensuing firefight I capture them, strip them, deprive them of conversation and food then let them starve to death or sell them to a slave ship, regardless how talented they are.

- I resort to cannibalism long before other meat sources run out.
Holding hands whilst the walls come tumbling down.

Mystic

• When I build an indoor stockpile, I always leave a clear, unzoned path through the room from one door to the other, even though the colonists won't necessarily use it and in fact will happily trudge through the goods of the floor if I don't.
  • Add me to the "every bedroom gets a plant pot, whether it makes any difference or not" crowd.
  • I always plant separate, adjacent areas of potatoes and strawberries, even though I am unaware of any benefit to having more than one flora type in the colonists' diet.
  • I always rotate colonists' beds so that the headboard is furthest from the door, even though I really doubt the colonists actually care.

ITypedThis

• If nothing important/interesting is happening, I follow my janitor around and watch him/her clean things
  • Before I capture an incapacitated raider, I strip them down based on my irrational fear that if they escaped and I couldn't re-arrest them, nothing would stop me from killing them before they could escape
  • I always procrastinate building a kitchen for months and just leave my colonists to eat raw potatoes
  • Like Mystic, I place beds with their headboards away from the door

Zsword

Everything of import must be sectioned off in it's own room of sorts, even if it's a thing that doesn't necessarily need or want a roof. Tracking beacon and main stockpile? In a room perfectly fit for the stockpile and beacon. Outdoor growing area? Walled off. That random geothermal generator 50 miles out lightly supplementing my power grid? It has a room.

Oh, and every room has a light.
And most likely a plant pot
Except the hallways.
and everything is paved at all times, even if the 'paving' substance isn't necessarily 'pretty' or faster than the default. (Which, I don't know the pretty values of various floors.)
I don't acknowledge the existence of basic beds because Royal beds are better and metal is generally more plentiful. even if I'm in the plains of the forest
If I have color lights and carpeting, my prison has red for both.
Speaking of the prison, it's always a 10x10 room with 5 Royal beds along the two walls, a nutrient paste dispenser across from the door with 4 hoppers, with a long metal table and four chairs on each long side, with a light 2 squares in from both walls in each corner. The 4 beds in the back of the prison (by the Dispenser) are set to medical, unless I'm overflowing in prisoners.

That's all I got right now. I'll tihnk of more later. ^^

C. Fenderson

Not sure if these are odd, but...

• I always build bedrooms 6x5, facing east.
  • Same with prisons, except big enough to require support pillars.
  • I always use manual priorities on colonists and I set 4 for everything, 3 for 1 flame, 2 for 2 flames just because I want these people to live out their dreams.
  • I arrest every single friendly that comes along.
  • I keep most of the people I arrest, unless I hit the colony limit.  Even if they're useless.
  • My sidewalks are always made of stone bricks with daylilies on either side, and they're always 3 wide if they can be.
  • I try to match the carpet colors to the personalities of the colonists that will be in the room.  I'm working on modding in more colors to do that better, actually.
  • More people in the plant pot club.  I just like daylilies, and I have tons of colonists anyhow.
  • I organize the food in my kitchen pantries in stripes.
I probably have more quirks that turn up in all of my builds.  Again, not sure how 'weird' they are, but whatever.  I'll also randomly make nudist cannibal colonies and arrest everything that walks just for food.

REMworlder

I like to cover my power lines with rubble-filled dump stockpiles.

minami26

I clear out space for construction even though you can just plop and place.

I dont use lights, cept for sunlamps near the hydroponics.

I like walling my colony so much the next raid ends me. Lol

UrbanBourbon

- Haven't played in a while but the last time I did, I liked to build all walls out of stone. Power lines would hug the stone wall outside. Stoves and workstations happily took power through the stone wall. I'm not sure I'm able to build metal walls ever again.

- I store extra weapons in my colonists' bedrooms. I tell myself it's a wise move to keep a reserve in case I get more colonists, but it's most likely hoarding and a manifestation of my inability to let go of things.

- I don't build a battery room. Anyone who builds a battery room is a weirdo. There. That needed to be said. Feeling much better now.

C. Fenderson

Quote from: UrbanBourbon on September 24, 2014, 06:04:16 PM
- Haven't played in a while but the last time I did, I liked to build all walls out of stone. Power lines would hug the stone wall outside. Stoves and workstations happily took power through the stone wall. I'm not sure I'm able to build metal walls ever again.

- I store extra weapons in my colonists' bedrooms. I tell myself it's a wise move to keep a reserve in case I get more colonists, but it's most likely hoarding and a manifestation of my inability to let go of things.

- I don't build a battery room. Anyone who builds a battery room is a weirdo. There. That needed to be said. Feeling much better now.
What, so you keep your batteries outside?  Or actually IN the rooms the colonists are in?  What if one of them explodes!

UrbanBourbon

Quote from: C. Fenderson on September 24, 2014, 07:29:20 PM
What, so you keep your batteries outside?  Or actually IN the rooms the colonists are in?  What if one of them explodes!
I build a few batteries here and there. Mostly to make sure the stove is powered at all times. I just don't fill an entire room with batteries.

Iwillbenicetou

I always go on God mode without helping myself... Wait, no.
I wall off my colony and create a killbox mainly of colonists, because I find turrets are easy to explode and pretty cheap. They also don't do much in my perspective.
I never reach endgame as I get bored or my game bugs out. Also my countless mods update.
I always build square buildings. I can't make a circle in rim world.
Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!