What do I do with all of these clothes!!!

Started by Charleston, August 18, 2014, 10:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bog

Quote from: Rahjital on August 19, 2014, 06:41:42 AM
Quote from: Bog on August 19, 2014, 12:07:23 AM
Of course there's a very easy solution to all of this. Molotov cocktails. I just make a stockpile that only gets corpses and shirts in it on a patch of desert/mud/concrete, make sure to disable the home region zone on the stockpile and throw a single cocktail into the middle every time it gets full. The fire will spread and destroy everything in the stockpile unless it starts raining.

Clothes didn't burn in Alpha 5, so I wouldn't blame people for not knowing it can be done in Alpha 6 (it can be done, right? I haven't tried so myself so far)
Ah, you are right. Clothes do not burn with cocktails. I forgot that I used to keep both a spare molotov cocktail and a spare frag grenade by the pile. The cocktails were for the corpses, the grenades were for the shirts.

I gave up on destroying apparel a long time ago. They don't cause "bad thoughts", so there's no real downside to leaving the countryside completely covered in them. ;D

The Crematorium actually makes a lot of sense then, the frag grenades took something like 3 hits to destroy a single shirt.
Divergence of Civilization Lead Developer (in this case that's the fancy way of saying "Only Developer")

Project Armoury Developer (New huge 2.13 Release now live!)

milon

Off topic, but holy awesome avatar, Bog!!

_alphaBeta_

Quote from: RawCode on August 18, 2014, 11:56:51 PM
dont strip bodies you dont want.

this is soo damn simple.

I believe the issue is that you can't just strip what you want. You have to click each individual body, and even if you do spot something you want, the colonists currently strip everything.

I use the crematorium, which is indeed active with Alpha 6. I usually have a number of suspended bills ready to go, as I like to keep 2 of everything around in case a naked colonist comes along. Once I have more than 2 of something, I'll set these bills to burn specific quantities of specific types of clothing until I'm once again left with two of each. I keep the armor and Kevlar helmets etc. in a different stock altogether so they're available for a quick fight. They're also not included in any of these burning bills.

The process above is manual as I have to notice the pileup and manually set bill instructions. It would be nice to have a game mechanic where the player can communicate the intent to have two of everything (as an example) and have the bill and colonists automatically burn off the excess. Given that clothing seems to have some coming changes with manufacturing and trading, I'm not sure how relevant some of this is going to be once the next few releases come out. Hence, I've held off on making formal suggestions until we see where this is going.

Shinzy

Quote from: _alphaBeta_ on August 20, 2014, 04:16:28 PM
Quote from: RawCode on August 18, 2014, 11:56:51 PM
dont strip bodies you dont want.

this is soo damn simple.

I believe the issue is that you can't just strip what you want. You have to click each individual body, and even if you do spot something you want, the colonists currently strip everything.

I use the crematorium, which is indeed active with Alpha 6. I usually have a number of suspended bills ready to go, as I like to keep 2 of everything around in case a naked colonist comes along. Once I have more than 2 of something, I'll set these bills to burn specific quantities of specific types of clothing until I'm once again left with two of each. I keep the armor and Kevlar helmets etc. in a different stock altogether so they're available for a quick fight. They're also not included in any of these burning bills.

The process above is manual as I have to notice the pileup and manually set bill instructions. It would be nice to have a game mechanic where the player can communicate the intent to have two of everything (as an example) and have the bill and colonists automatically burn off the excess. Given that clothing seems to have some coming changes with manufacturing and trading, I'm not sure how relevant some of this is going to be once the next few releases come out. Hence, I've held off on making formal suggestions until we see where this is going.

You could have the crematorium burn everything, but on a limited material hauling range.
Then have very small high priority storages for the specific ones you want to keep outside of this range and store the excess inside the hauling area

That should work like a dream!

_alphaBeta_

While I was suggesting a more direct game mechanic such as having the bill specify destruction until you're left with a certain amount, you did indeed identify an automated solution. We'll see where clothing goes in the coming releases.