Toxic Fallout

Started by Edixo, August 01, 2017, 11:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolgfred

People who say roofing walkways is key, are actually right. Beyond that it's the basic idea of this event to keep you from going outside.

Suggestion
In my opinion the fallout effect should be much more durable in long term damage. Something like severity dropping by 0,83 per day. By this one colonist aint die by getting into the rain, but the fallout effect will follow him for 1-2 years, putting him for all this time into danger of getting a permanent disease.
If it would be like this, The fallout event would feel very dangerous and inspiring respect.
The Idea of a hazard suit sounds quite nice, but is shouln't hold longer as a day or half.

current behavior
My current reaction for fallout is to restrict all my pawns to home area, which ist mostly roofed, until all animals die. Then I set most my colonists on hauling 1.
Especially in tropical or boreal biomes I had some very lucky days with 5-10 elephant corpses or 20 elk which granted my colony a whole collection of new elephant pants.
After 1-2 Days of hauling, all haulers gained 25-50% toxic buff and i restrict them again into homearea to get rid off it. Afterwards, again 2 days hauling.

tl;dr:
Toxic Fallout is fun. Just keep your pawns out of the rain once every day or two.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

Nameless

Toxic Fallout is easy to deal with. I think it comes down to poor base planning and time management if you actually find it detrimental.

In my current base, all I need to do is build 4 walls and my entire base will turn from outdoor to indoor. Also having a bunch of animal corpses frozen in a freezer so i have enough food to last me through a while.

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Nameless on August 04, 2017, 09:50:48 AM
Toxic Fallout is easy to deal with. I think it comes down to poor base planning and time management if you actually find it detrimental.

In my current base, all I need to do is build 4 walls and my entire base will turn from outdoor to indoor. Also having a bunch of animal corpses frozen in a freezer so i have enough food to last me through a while.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, all of the suggested countermeasures assume toxic fallout does not hit you early in the game, pre-electricity and A/C on tribes in particular.

SurrealSadi

This is why I downloaded a skylight mod. Indoor gardening with no need for sunlamps! My colonists end up being mostly vegetarian.

Snafu_RW

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on August 04, 2017, 02:37:15 PMAs I mentioned earlier in the thread, all of the suggested countermeasures assume toxic fallout does not hit you early in the game, pre-electricity and A/C on tribes in particular.
Not really; the key is getting roofs up & harvesting <unroofed plants> immediately

Animals outside are free food if you haul them; property (owned) animals are either food or protected as you wish/need. Simple meals will last a reasonable time given undercover storage & a full time cook; the main problem IMO is how long the fallout lasts: it gets to be a pain if >2 seasons & they coincide with your growing season(s) :(

As mentioned above, it's not /instantly/ worrying: your pawns can survive a day or 2 outside with no ill effects provided you remember to keep an eye on them.. perhaps setting bedrest to 1 may help if there isn't a mod that checks for something equivalent & assigns suitable zones/tasks (eg if outside dmg >25%, get indoors until dmg <5%)? Alternatively adjust their forced sleep times/zones so they stay undercover most of the time
Dom 8-)

Trylobyte

The issue with tribals is that the toxic fallout, if it hits early, can easily consume your entire growing season.  Assume a 30-day growing season.  You plant crops on Day 1.  Toxic fallout strikes on Day 4, before even rice can finish growing.  You might get to harvest some of it, but not enough to survive on.  You grab up all the meat, but you're a tribe, you don't have refrigeration so it all goes bad in a few days.  And this toxic fallout can easily last an entire season, so let's say it lasts 22 days.  You're now on Day 26 of your growing season...  and that rice isn't gonna finish before the growing season ends.  You're now almost entirely without food for an entire year.  Combine this with a cold snap for extra fatality since that can easily lock out your whole season.

Bolgfred

Quote from: Trylobyte on August 04, 2017, 09:26:21 PM... Toxic fallout strikes on Day 4, before even rice can finish growing.  You might get to harvest some of it, but not enough to survive on...

I think you just brought the answer for this Thread. There should be a new type of growable plant, which is immune or resistant to fallout. E.g. Potoatoes, as mighty root could be not getting destroyed, or just taking 15% damage of fallout and grow at 33% while doing so. By this one can grow. One has to tweak the number, but I think it's gonna be cool if the time the plan needs to grow on fertile ground exactly fits the time potatoes survive in fallout.
Alternative there could be a new plant that fits this role. Something like the bunker-carrot, or the survivor-Salat or mutated-Mango.

In the end the point is that tribals have no tool to fight against fallout, and this would be one.
-J.R. Van Devil

Jibbles

Quote from: Bolgfred on August 05, 2017, 01:33:24 AM
Alternative there could be a new plant that fits this role. Something like the bunker-carrot, or the survivor-Salat or mutated-Mango.

In the end the point is that tribals have no tool to fight against fallout, and this would be one.

Wouldn't that kind of defeat the main challenge of a toxic fallout? I could sort of agree to it though if that plant makes them sick.

Bolgfred

Sickness and very low yield and high planting time, that forces everybodY to go out planting plants.
I agree with you, It should be a chance, not a gift.
-J.R. Van Devil

Jibbles

I like that idea.

I guess what I want would be a lot to ask for as I don't see tribals surviving these changes.  Toxic air seeping into rooms, roofs don't provide safety.  Devices to help purify or alleviate toxic buildup for humans/items/resources. Possibly mutated animals. I would like to have it as if you're adapting to a new biome. Think it would be tricky to add new unique/interesting weather events such as blizzards or whatever, if the main idea is supposed to wipe out plants and make you stay inside.

RemingtonRyder

Toxic Fallout already can't fire before day 20, and lasts up to 10ish days. So in case that happens, you need to hoard enough food to last 20 days or so, I think. 10 days for the duration, plus another 10 days while you're waiting for a fresh round of crops to grow.

Tribals start with pemmican researched. So if you also add some hunting into your early game preparation, you can have a stockpile of food which will keep for a good long while in the event of unforeseen disaster.

Jozay

I don't like this event actually... Especially with animals. They need to go outside my base to eat grass, It's such a pain to micro this. Have to "restrict area" all the time, then "allow area" to let them eat. I did this during 15 days, it was so annoying ! (I was laking of animal food, that's why^^)

Animals should just go eat grass outside once they turn into "malnutrition" state, even in restricted area :(

By the way It could be great to have possibility to craft an outfits to protect pawns, like an anti-radiation suit but for toxic rains. A craft that require maybe 10 or 20 medicinal, something balanced I mean.

it's my opinion ^^

French translations :
- Hospitality
- EPOE
- More Vanilla Turret
- Colony Manager
- etc.
Feel free to MP me if you search a translator !
My GitHub repositorie

JimmyAgnt007

Quote from: Jozay on September 28, 2017, 11:01:41 AM
I don't like this event actually... Especially with animals. They need to go outside my base to eat grass, It's such a pain to micro this. Have to "restrict area" all the time, then "allow area" to let them eat. I did this during 15 days, it was so annoying ! (I was laking of animal food, that's why^^)

Animals should just go eat grass outside once they turn into "malnutrition" state, even in restricted area :(

By the way It could be great to have possibility to craft an outfits to protect pawns, like an anti-radiation suit but for toxic rains. A craft that require maybe 10 or 20 medicinal, something balanced I mean.

it's my opinion ^^

I just let them eat my hydroponics.  I set the barn temp to whatever max cold the animal can take and store food in with them.  Animals that cant take the cold can still eat the food I produce. 

PatrykSzczescie

First, I couldn't survive winter, a few of colonists starved to death. Then I had toxic fallout. Roofed gardens and kibble did their job, I didn't feel touched until it came off. Also, I had 2 colonies so I didn't feel bored, as the second one wasn't under toxic fallout.

maculator

I love toxic fallout. It's one of my favorite events!
There are many ways to deal with it and the fun is to decide wich way to go and how you actually will do it.
Only thing that annoys me is that its sometime so short that it ends while you're stil adapting to the circumstances...