What's on the menu tonight?

Started by Draxis, December 22, 2014, 09:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draxis

If you're like me, your colonists eat their weight in potatoes, supplemented by random meat from animals. That said, I'm curious as to how you all feed your colonists in the new alpha.

-What biome are you in and what's the growing season?
-What's the lion share of the diet? If growing, what do you grow and how do you decide what to grow?
-Do you grow inside or outside? If inside, are you using hydroponics or fertilizer pumps to make rich soil? (I had never thought about until I saw it in a video, does anyone like doing this?)
-Do you use mods? I see some mods which add the option for "soylent green" or the like. I'm curious if anyone is RP'ing an evil colony of cannibals.

Personally, I'm in a tundra biome and I have a growing season from June to July. Not a lot to work with. I am looking to move inside, but not sure if I want to do hydroponics or just make a greenhouse with rich soil. I have always done hydroponics, but with recent nerfs to growing at night, I'm not sure if it's still the best option. Does anyone know how much faster hydroponics is compared to rich soil? I've heard that strawberries do better in rich soil than potatoes and I'm considering fertilizer pumps for the first time.

Thanks,
Draxis

EscapeZeppelin

In my tundra colony twelve hydroponics tables seems to feed my colony of eight fairly comfortably. The ability to grow year round more than offsets any advantages that growing in soil provide.

I don't know whether it's true or not but there was some talk that the fertilizer pump might be removed in next release.

Honestly I kind of like making all my colonists toil in the fields for three months to build up a huge stockpile of food for the winter. The indoor growing kind of takes away a huge element of danger.

ItchyFlea

It's not a what. It's a who. :D
That's what's happening (well, what's about to happen) in my next playthough using the IceSheet biome mod.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Oga88

- tundra, growing june-july.
- fine meals i always hunt. and for a colony of five I have 5 fine meals and 10 simple.
- at first outside potatoes, cotton for parkas and pine trees. later in to the game i move inside. but leave cotton outside, in mid game use it to get profit.
- I use a coupel of mods advanced sunlapms and different hydroponics tables.

I really don't remeber whats the name of that mod. never used pumps and i guess never will.

Tiolas

Tundra here too. Honestly prefer the sub-zero climates.
Early game I would stockpile as much as possible, have 1 delegated cook and 1 other colonists to hunt whenever possible. Basic meals are the norm if possible.

Late game I stock up a huge surplus of Strawberries and potatoes... usually stock up a decent supply of average meals, then hunt the odd animal for a handful of lavish meals all round.

Coenmcj

Running or rather freezing... on a Ice sheet Biome, Growing period of never to not a chance.

Originally Delicious Paste from an NPD, but moved onto Fine meals when it became available.

I'd grow outside, but the only food I'm getting out there is ice cream, if I'm so lucky.
So Hydroponics it is, Potato's and Strawberries, With cotton to make into Medkits (Mod)

I use a few mods, namely EDb's pair of mods, Brunayla's Security, Miscellania (W/o MAI) and Cybernetics, Aswell as the ice sheet biome, which has made for an interesting time.
Summer is at -20o Celcius, Winter can drop anywhere down to -100o

@Itchy
If you, or anyone else is interested?
'ice' for the seed
200,150 World size
187, 145 World Co-ord's
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite