Sad Stories

Started by Segrog, July 28, 2015, 04:43:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoboticManiac

Ugh... I need to convince myself to stop cheating. I always give my self that five extra wood for a construction I don't have or delete that annoying lone raider. Starting now, I'm a new colonial administrator/ Horrible crash survivor/ Angry cannibal!

Ravenwood

The Old Folks Home

I saw that this run was going to be a tough one.  All of my colonists were 50-70 year olds and had Bad Back, Frail, or both.  My first add was 90 year old pilot with dementia and cateracts in both eyes and could still walk, but couldn't Haul.

The pilot did all the hunting in the temperate biome mostly through sheer luck: his odds of getting a pistol hit were about 1% even with 7 Shooting (he started at 0) and point-blank range.  No one starved.  The first two raids were tribal, driven off without casualty, though everyone ended up wounded; they were lucky no one got infected.  I had a tight little base just large enough that the slow walkers could complete their work loops before needing rest.  I was rather proud of it.

The next raid was a pirate siege.

Taking the survival rifle, the pilot was the only one able to make trek all the way across the map before dark.  Unable to hit the broadside of a barn he was promptly headshotted and bled to death as incendiary and HE mortar shells erased the colony in a few shots, since you can't effectively fight fire when all your colonists can only hobble. 

There wasn't anything left to loot after the fire.

The Labrador

Sometimes the pathing artifacts do things that unexpectedly resemble emotional behavior. 

The colony was well established, now numbering 5 souls including the original labrador retriever.  I'd established panic-zone boundaries for animals in the event of attacks.  Outside the perimeter during a mechanoid ground attack, the labrador got stuck against the outer wall looping back and forth as the last Scyther homed in on it; the colonists were hopelessly out of position, just having taken down the rest of the group of Scythers and Centipedes around the kill box.  It was painful and tragic watching the cold precision of the mechanoid's charge lance tracking the poor animal as the dog ran to and fro in apparent panic, the mech homing in to kill with a single point-blank headshot.

The Scyther was destroyed about 2 seconds later.

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

I have never had that happen to me and I'm glad that I never have had to
In the end, we all make the same leather hats.

Canaris

I just headshoted an 8 years old bunny with dementia and catharacts in both eyes  :'( :'(

Im sooo sorry little buddy ;(
Phoneposter - typos will happen.

LlamaOnDrugs

Started the colony with three female colonists.  Between them they were well versed in all things survival, and the colony thrived!  Food aplenty for everyone, power for all the needs of forging a bleak existence in the desolate wasteland that is Rimworld.

All until an alien ship crash landed on the planet.  My three intrepid survivors (there was a fourth but we wont discuss what happened there!) attempted to destroy the wayward ship, but were driven back with their share of wounds.  Unable to destroy the craft the local wildlife eventually went insane and  I was left with a single colonist caring for her severely infected comrades.  Both would eventually die leaving a lone survivor to bury their bodies and attempt to forge a living with insane wildlife hampering every effort to get food and construct adequate defenses.  In addition to this, she would diligently feed and talk to a prisoner captured after a pirate raid before the ship crash landed, even while she herself was starving and hobbling around with a bum leg and a missing left eye.  She finally released the prisoner after realising there was not enough food for the both of them, and she was finally alone.  She finally succumbed to madness and ended up starving to death.

The most depressing thing about this is that I had a save game right before the other two colonists died, and must've tried around 10 times to keep the other two colonists alive but to no avail.  It was like a horrific groundhog day for my poor colonist, doomed to repeatedly watch her friends die in horrifying agony and care for a prisoner that wanted nothing but her head on a spike.

Like others in this thread, I stopped playing for a while after that.

Thorin

Quote from: Canaris on September 20, 2015, 10:08:12 AM
I just headshoted an 8 years old bunny with dementia and catharacts in both eyes  :'( :'(

Im sooo sorry little buddy ;(

If it did survive, that bunny never saw it coming nor will it remember it for long.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

stuque

3 of my 5 colonists were killed in a roof collapse while trying to remove a wall. Of the remaining two, Bob soon went berserk and somehow managed to set himself on fire, sustaining bad burns all over his body. Carl rescued him --- carrying Bob past the bodies of their three crushed comrades --- and got him to a medical bed. After bandaging Bob up, Carl started wandering aimlessly, for at least a day, on the edge of breaking. Then Carl went crazy, and incapacitated himself while attacking a squirrel (that went into shock). His only hope was that Bob might recover and bring him back. But no --- Bob died, alone, in his sick bed. Carl lived for a while longer, but then he too died alone in the middle of the nowhere, next to a squirrel in shock.

BetaSpectre

There once was a Raider named Steve. Steve lived as all dare devils did. He was an orbital shock trooper.

One day Steve found a nice colony of Doomsville located in what appeared to be an active volcano. The heat signatures were off the charts, and the entire colony lived under the mountain.

Except Steve saw a huge flaw. The huge hole in the center which spewed flames and loud noises.

Steve and 49 of his mates dropped in valiently
landing on top of 20 stacked mines. Not even the screams were heard, and in the explosion equipment flew for miles around the colony. There was much noise. All of it voiceless. But Steve survived. Downed at the mercy of Doomsville

The next day a trader dropped into the hole.
Oh my what a fine collection of organs and skin you have here. I'll take all 1000 units of skin. This leather will make fine clothing!
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Wex

Quote from: BetaSpectre on September 30, 2015, 09:09:30 AM
There once was a Raider named Steve. Steve lived as all dare devils did. He was an orbital shock trooper.

One day Steve found a nice colony of Doomsville located in what appeared to be an active volcano. The heat signatures were off the charts, and the entire colony lived under the mountain.

Except Steve saw a huge flaw. The huge hole in the center which spewed flames and loud noises.

landing on top of 20 stacked mines. Not even the screams were heard, and in the explosion equipment flew for miles around the colony. There was much noise. All of it voiceless. But Steve survived. Downed at the mercy of Doomsville

Oh my what a fine collection of organs and skin you have here. I'll take all 1000 units of skin. This leather will make fine clothing!
This isn't sad, this is hilarious!

...I guess Rimworld has warped my sense of humor...
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

BetaSpectre

Quote from: Wex on October 06, 2015, 07:39:25 AM
Quote from: BetaSpectre on September 30, 2015, 09:09:30 AM

This isn't sad, this is hilarious!

...I guess Rimworld has warped my sense of humor...
What was really funny was that this was my main source of encounters and income.
When raids happened outside they gave up really fast since this was before sappers and I had 20 blocks of Plasteel walls, or mountain.
So they didn't try once, twice, but at LEAST 20 times. Same result. No survivors each time. Unless they were downed, those went to my 3x3 wood and stone furnaces where I kept them there until they felt happy to join, if they didn't I'd harvest them there, then set turn on the furnace reaching temps of 2K celcius or higher I think they caught on fire each time :3. I think I harvested a leg of each captive incase they got angry as a preventative measure, had people join anyway.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Facepunch

I had a dog take a bullet for my sniper, once. Guy got too close, dog ran out in the middle of the battle, raider was sighting up my sniper, changed targets to my dog. He shot my dog in the torso, my sniper put the raider down, and the dog survived initially. He died of an infection from that gunshot a few days later.

killer117

My sadest expirience in rimworld was when a mechanoid attack hit my new starting colony. They had bout 6-7 people, and only one turret, infront of my perimeter wall made of wood. I was boxed in in some mountains, and had only just started an underground base. The mechanoids then arrived, two centipedes and 3 sythers. My main guy, named killer (cause i like having me in all my colonies) was a badass with his new heavy smg. The rest of my guys only had survival rifles and pistols, and one assasin with an smg. With the mechanoids arrived the sythers attacked the door, and the centipedes were way behind. They broke the wooden door in one shot from each. My guys were on the other side, a few feet back behind sandbags and solar panels in a half circle around the door. When the door broke killer got off one shot. He was directly infront of the door. The sythers all fired at the same time. All shots hit. Brain, heart and liver all destroyed. So brutal.

It took 2 days to kill them all, with the help of some visitors and attacking tribals.

There were three survivors. The colony was burned mostly to the ground.

It took three days to put the wounded back together again.

The colony has yet to die to this day
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

JimmyAgnt007

Having a colonist with a peg leg while my med bay has a stack of bionics.  I imagine it must have been sad to hobble around on that knowing that there were things that could let them live as a normal person just in that room.  Of course once i realized this i installed the bionic but still.  "Oh right, you are walking on a wooden stump."  To be fair, they were a prisoner when i installed the peg leg.

cultist

Dog killed by mechanoids.

Dog killed by pirates.

Demented dog gets confused and walks into line of fire.

Dog murdered by manhunter animals.

I'm starting to think Tynan only added dogs to make people cry.

A Friend

Quote from: cultist on October 17, 2015, 06:50:28 AM
Dog killed by mechanoids.

Dog killed by pirates.

Demented dog gets confused and walks into line of fire.

Dog murdered by manhunter animals.

I'm starting to think Tynan only added dogs to make people cry.

Dog used as food.

Yes. Though my colonists happily ate them without mercy though... Colonist and animal relations soon pls
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"