Should Rimworld be developed the same way the DF was ?

Started by Oxidus, March 10, 2016, 04:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oxidus

Should Rimworld be developed the same way the DF was ? I mean they would develop it really a long time , like DF from 2002 they would add so much content , the random generation , adventure mode (could be really interesting) , roles in adventure mode , deep combat mechanics etc.. I really support this idea .
Requiescat in Pace,Mio Fello.

Noobshock

I wouldn't mind it being pushed as far as it possibly can but that's kind of Tynan's jurisdiction here.

akiceabear

Tynan has made clear a few times that Rimworld is unlikely to become his life's work, as DF is.

mumblemumble

Would be awesome... Honestly z levels alone would be huge.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

JesterHell

As much as I would love to see this happen I don't think its practical from a business prospective, after all DF is supported entirely by donations with Tarn & Zach admitting that the budget gets really tight at times because it fluctuates so much on a month to month basis.

mumblemumble

Perhaps,  but z levels would be very much an investment. Huge time,  effort,  and money put in,  but even larger rewards if done so.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Fluffy (l2032)

Like JesterHell says, DF is pretty much the lifetime project of two brothers. They live off of donations, which can be a fairly unreliable source of income - but it does allow them to keep devoting time to their passion project.

This is a very, very exceptional development process, and I think it's absolutely great that they're doing it this way. However I don't think I could do this, and I don't think we can expect other developers to adopt their way of working.

Which reminds me, I really should put some money in their donation box - haven't done so in ages.

mumblemumble

True,  not expecting tynan to do it for free,  but having a donation / suggestion combo box might be interesting.

I also realize rimworld won't dev forever,  But,  z levels,  if done,  will provide more potential content per man hour than many other things.

-----

Fluffy (l2032)

ok I thought this discussion was about the development model, not about z-levels.

I refuse to get stuck into a new z-level slogfest.

forumaccount

Steam Workshop destroys modding communities. Don't let your town become a megastore's parking lot!

Adamiks

RemingtonRyder

Adamiks

Yeah, it is, but i don't want to make this topic too bloody.

TheGentlmen

I don't get why so much people want RW to become like DF.

If you want something like DF go play DF.

falcongrey

Quote from: TheGentlmen (GENTZ /'jen(t)z/) on March 13, 2016, 06:08:10 PM
I don't get why so much people want RW to become like DF.

If you want something like DF go play DF.

I am quite happy with Rimworld being Rimworld and DF being some core world that was long forgotten about....
It matters not if we win or fail. It's that we stood and faced it.