Just a note to new players to A:6; Bullets carry death sentences.

Started by Ramsis, August 13, 2014, 10:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramsis

That's not a joke, that's a very harsh warning to anyone who thinks they can go the old "balls to the wall" route. Your colonist takes one hard shot, a stray arrow, etc and they may go down... or worse... I've had a colonist take a rock while running away that tore his leg off, an arrow that hit someone in the head and caused brain damage, I've had squirrels rip out eyes, it all happens now.

For the more protective Colony Leaders you will need to play it safe during raids as Snipers now dominate the battlefield.

For the more turtle Colony Leaders I happily announce that turrets are a gift of the gods as their bullets are also death sentences to even the hardiest of attacker.

For the base builder, stone wall EVERYTHING. If you're like me and make the occasional metal base, surround that bugger in stone!

As I said just play it a lot safer as the medical system is a fun game of chance that adds a beautiful bit of flair and danger to RimWorld. Tynan really outdid himself with this update overall and I hope that in the weeks to come between new content and the modding community we will see some pretty amazing things coming into the game.

Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

HatesYourFace

Awesome, I was hoping the new damage system would make combat a little more...decisive. The pawns were a little bit too bullet spongy previously for my tastes.
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

Shinzy

Eeeeee! *excitement overload*

I can expect to be issuing way more hunt orders in the future
just to make sure the animals are extinct at all times

Oooh sounds like the fighting is gna be double the fun

Rahjital

To clarify Ramsis' warning a little, a single thrown stone will never kill your colonist. However, a single pistol shot might on the very rare chance it hits a vulnerable area like the heart or the brain. No need to panic when a raid comes, though - in most circumstances, people can survive more than half a dozen hits just fine, provided they get proper treatment afterwards. Still, you should try to keep your colonists as safe as you possibly can, since some wounds can be permanent.

Be wary of snipers, though - a single hit to the torso can send your colonists to the heaven.

Ramsis

Quote from: Rahjital on August 13, 2014, 11:31:35 AM
To clarify Ramsis' warning a little, a single thrown stone will never kill your colonist. However, a single pistol shot might on the very rare chance it hits a vulnerable area like the heart or the brain. No need to panic when a raid comes, though - in most circumstances, people can survive more than half a dozen hits just fine, provided they get proper treatment afterwards. Still, you should try to keep your colonists as safe as you possibly can, since some wounds can be permanent.

Be wary of snipers, though - a single hit to the torso can send your colonists to the heaven.

Rahj is right.... usually... Had a bad damage roll once and actually had a rock score a headshot that killed my colonist. May have been the luckiest rock ever.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Rahjital

Quote from: Ramsis on August 13, 2014, 11:34:49 AMRahj is right.... usually... Had a bad damage roll once and actually had a rock score a headshot that killed my colonist. May have been the luckiest rock ever.

Brain has 10 hp, stone does 6 damage. Either your guy was not particularly healthy or you found a bug to report ;)

Halinder

Ramsis

Quote from: Rahjital on August 13, 2014, 11:39:30 AM
Quote from: Ramsis on August 13, 2014, 11:34:49 AMRahj is right.... usually... Had a bad damage roll once and actually had a rock score a headshot that killed my colonist. May have been the luckiest rock ever.

Brain has 10 hp, stone does 6 damage. Either your guy was not particularly healthy or you found a bug to report ;)

\o/ for bugs

- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

DeltaV

Are raider numbers adjusted for this, or are the occasional sniper-squad raids that come before you can do anything about them going to be even more OP?
Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Rahjital

Quote from: Halinder on August 13, 2014, 11:42:25 AM
Well mechanoids are going to /suck/..

Inferno cannons were nerfed because the change made them truly terrifying weapons, but otherwise the health is a double-edged sword for them. Centipedes still take ages to kill, but the damage effects mean they slow down greatly when damaged (and they can also be incapacitated now). Scythers are awful due to their range and accuracy.

There is also new EMP mortars. I haven't seen them in action yet, but they should make the use of artillery against them easier.

Bog

Quote from: Halinder on August 13, 2014, 11:42:25 AM
Well mechanoids are going to /suck/..
Except they have venerability spots too. After a Centipede has lost it's ability to move you just sit far off with a single Lee-Enfield wielding colonist and plink it to death.

Edit: Rahijtal beat me to it by literally 5 seconds. ;D
Divergence of Civilization Lead Developer (in this case that's the fancy way of saying "Only Developer")

Project Armoury Developer (New huge 2.13 Release now live!)

Telkir

*rubs hands with glee*

Now this is going to mix things up a bit. :D

Darkfirephoenix

And the most fun about those ripped off etc. stuff is: You CAN'T heal them, you have no means to replace a lost limb! Arm shot off: Can still work but EXTREMELY slow! Leg shot off: Movement EXTREMELY slow! Just pray that none of your ppl ends up with both arms Or legs shot off, it's like they are dead but they still eat (usefullness wise)

artemas

this has been a great addition. I especially like the way the medicine skill interacts with wounds. The number of badly sutured livers in my colony is hilarious.

REMworlder

!!!!

How does clothing work in regards to cutting down on damage? I don't suppose armor would help some against instadeath.