Join or Die

Started by Noph, September 06, 2017, 03:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noph

We've all had those tricky 99 prisoners who refuse to join the colony no matter how many chessboards and fancy tables you make for them.

Freaks!

The idea is that after a set number of days (let's say 30 for the sake of argument) the "Join or Die!" option appears in the Prisoner Options.

At this point, the next time your warden goes to visit the prisoner he gives an ultimatum. The prisoner then has an automatic 20% chance of joining or he is euthanized on the spot.

Euthanizing incurs the same colony mood penalty as it is normally. However, if the pawn is successfully recruited he personally gains a 15 day -15 mood penalty for being forced to join.

MajorMonotone

Sounds like a cool idea, maybe the 20% chance could be modified by certain aspects. This would go along with executions as well tbh. It sounds a bit too grimdark but a public execution option that can be be used to make the chance for other prisoners to join go higher for a certain amount of time. It could give a buff to joining the colony out of fear up to say, 3 times but if the prisoner witnesses any more executions they either suffer a mental break (Berserk) and attempt to escape or they become apathetic and the buff no longer affects them. It could also have the penalties of losing a potential colonist and each execution increases break out chance significantly as well as giving mood debuffs to non psychopathic colonists if the prisoner being executed is not still guilty of their crimes.

Vlad0mi3r

How about you just release them?

If they are from a tribal group you get a relationship bonus. If they are a pirate faction don't worry they will be back at some point and you can kill them without penalty at that point.

Or you could keep them on hand and watch your wardens social skill keep on increasing. I mean really at the cost of 2 meals a day for improving a skill its a win win.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

JimmyAgnt007

Keeping them for skill gains is a bit less attractive due to breakouts being a thing but when I dont use them for organ banks and rations I tend to keep them around anyways. 

I think the join or die option should just be a manual action but have a chance that they can break free and try to fight you.

Apposl

Bend the knee...or die.

I like it.

PatrykSzczescie

I don't feel like using this feature once it is added.

Vlad0mi3r

Quote from: PatrykSzczescie on September 08, 2017, 08:29:29 PM

Don't worry it's not likely to happen at all.  :)
Mods I would recommend:

The Mod you must have:

Yoshida Keiji

The forced 99% percent recruitment chance who joined after ultimatum would have a personal hatred towards the warden, just like Rescued colonists get a 15% like towards their savior. The forced recruit shall have a permanent - 15% or 15% dislike to that specific person and if turning into mental break, the berserker would particularly target that person with his pants down, only taking into hands when in proximity.

Zoolder

Quote from: Vlad0mi3r on September 09, 2017, 04:19:02 AM
Quote from: PatrykSzczescie on September 08, 2017, 08:29:29 PM

Don't worry it's not likely to happen at all.  :)

You're not a very fun person, are you? What's wrong with having more options? It's not like it's a feature you have to use, and it fits a theme. Just because you can "Just release them" doesn't mean you want to give up a perfect colonist, which can be rare. Having more options is always a positive, especially when it's a very easy concept to implement.

Vlad0mi3r

Quote from: Zoolder on September 11, 2017, 02:50:11 PM

You're not a very fun person, are you? What's wrong with having more options? It's not like it's a feature you have to use, and it fits a theme. Just because you can "Just release them" doesn't mean you want to give up a perfect colonist, which can be rare. Having more options is always a positive, especially when it's a very easy concept to implement.

If you mean being fun is having every option under the sun because "game is hard" then I'll wear the badge. That 99% colonist that you can't be arsed spending the time to recruit them is usually because they are exceptional in some way. So instead of having the WOW moment when your warden finally convinces that colonist to join you just want Meh can't be arsed so force join me.

I'll take the harder road thanks. O I'll have fun as well by the way.
Mods I would recommend:

The Mod you must have:

Lightzy

I don't like it because it simply undermines the whole system. You don't need any social skill at all, you can just click the 'join or die' button with every prisoner and have a die roll.

Makes sense though that you could enslave them and have em do forced labor in the mines (gotta have armed guards tho)

khun_poo

I'm not a fan on inhuman treat to prisoner of war. I usually treat those 99% prisoner whose I like them to convert to colonist like "join or stone". If you don't feel like to join, administer joint to make them stone. The mood buff from social drug really big help though.

Can be done with "join or beer" too for better health reason.  :P