Hunters should reduce range for viable shot.

Started by Vxsote, November 09, 2016, 05:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vxsote

When a pawn goes hunting, frequently he/she parks at the outside edge of the weapon's range and starts shooting.  Sometimes the chance to hit is single digit percentage, even for hunters with reasonable skill and weapons.  This leads to an unproductive use of time (whiff after whiff), and sometimes wrong targets being hit (I told you to hunt the turkey, and you shot a bear, and it mauled your face.  You idiot!)

A simple way to improve this would be to require the hunter to reduce range until a minimum shot probability was reached (or until at minimum range), say a 50% chance.  Having to draft and micro-manage each hunt to accomplish essentially this is not fun.

It would also be cool to be able to designate targets for group hunting so that larger game can be taken more safely with less micro.

Goryus

daduhweewah

Or if pawns shot more accurately in hunting scenarios than raid scenarios, which is def true IRL. Hunting you sit still, wait for a good shot and rarely ever miss. I would presume war is a bit chaotic and just firing as quickly as you are able to.

skullywag

I thought hunters moved to the effective range of their weapon not the max range.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

JimmyAgnt007

Either way, everyone should have the 'Careful Shooter' mod while hunting.

Vxsote

Quote from: skullywag on November 10, 2016, 02:54:26 AM
I thought hunters moved to the effective range of their weapon not the max range.
You could be right, as I am unsure of the exact mechanics of range and didn't try to measure actual distance and compare to the weapon's stats.  Perhaps "effective range" as defined by game mechanics doesn't jive well with what I was trying to express.

I do agree with the sentiment that accuracy should be better when shooting at a target that doesn't shoot back.  Or that hasn't yet become enraged and isn't charging.  Perhaps more of an "ambush" bonus... is there such a thing?