Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juanval

I've been playing a campaign in Phoebe extra hard in 1.01950 and 51 versions (no problem with saved games when it was updated to 51), and I now I am at the first year of campaign, in Aprimay season.

- I like how treatment of injured pawns work now. You have enough time to treat them.
- I like the difficulty progression of raids. I suffered injuries in all of them. I had some interesting and different raids:
     - the first against 5 nude melee enemies,
     - the second against 6 hard techno pirates with pump shotguns, flag grenades. In this case I lost my 2 dogs that they joined to the colony and were trained previously. When surviving enemies tried to flee, all my pawns except the hunter were hurt. One enemy fled capturing my researcher, but when he was on the border of the map, my hunter shot him from the distante with her bolt-action rifle and killed him (yeeeeeah), rescuing the colony researcher :)
     - the third against 7-8 tribal enemies with long bows and spears. Long bow men were hard to beat because they got cover from far trees I couldn't clear before.
     - the fourth against 12 manhunter wolves.
     - the fifth against a poison ship with 3 scyters and 1 lancer. (Now I have plasteel enough to continue researching :)  )
- I suffered a cold snap, it was during the current Aprimay season. In all alphas and versions I played, I never have suffered a cold snap in Winter, when it can hurt more.
- It's a bit annoying for pawns that are sleeping or recovering from injuries, when caravan members from another factions enter with their animals into their rooms. Foreign caravans should stay outside the colony perimeter.
- With only 7 pawn in one year, I see difficult and risky to venture outside my colony in order to accomplish missions. No interaction with other factions.
- I suffered 1 bear attack. My miner was in a tunnel and had no escape and miraculously survived with her pump shotgun. When the bear approached slowly (it received two shots) to melee range, my miner hit it and stun it, giving enough time to the tailor to reach the mine and shot the bear from the back and kill it. The miner survived with 2 serious wounds. I like wild animals agressivity vs pawns and domesticated animals.
- I like the necessity of researching solar panels at the beginning of campaign.
- Mind problems work better now than in other alphas: In previous alphas, it was difficult to see a mental break in pawns that were at risk of suffer it. Now, if a pawn's mood is below a threshold, you must be careful. I suffered in this campaign 2 food binges, 3 dazes and and one pawn insulting another jeje.
- I see that my animals don't move to farther areas where an animal died in order to feed. I expand the animal area but they don't move even if they are starving. In previous alphas I remember they move without restrictions.
- In dry thunderstorms, I must expand home area anytime a fire starts and this is boring.

This is a solid version and Rimworld is a great game. Anytime you play is like watching a movie.

Kirby23590

Quote from: Tynan on July 12, 2018, 08:26:58 AM
That's a terrible way to play, btw. The game is designed for loss and recovery, you're totally neutering it.

I'm gonna redesign how permadeath is presented. Maybe on by default.

Just to let you know Tynan sylvester. In permadeath when playing in windowed mode the game doesn't save at all when closing by clicking on the X button to exit the program on the top right corner. :P

BTW Yes having his own fun. But TBH watching him doing that for others if it were in youtube or in another video streaming media site or with someone else doing that isn't fun or interesting at all. Killing my enjoyment for watching the video in question.

Anyways loving what you're doing with the game. Bow art for the recurve bow looks cool now! Hoping that Rimworld gets a real great release!

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

JohnLG

About the new door closing speed - it seems to have made dealing with melee enemies quite a bit easier.  Most guns can now get a shot off before doors (especially stone) finish closing, and the enemies can't walk through doors that are only temporarily opened.  For manhunter packs I've just been having 3 to 6 pawns stand behind the door while another pawn triggers the door to open and then walks back before being in melee range.  I think you adjusted doors to try to hinder the whole 'door peeking' strategy, but the lowered effectiveness against ranged enemies doesn't seem to be nearly as big as the increased ease of fighting melee enemies, in my experience at least.

My suggestion - allow doors that are currently in any kind of animation to be usable by enemies.  This way you have to go back inside earlier or the enemy will get their foot in the door, and you won't be able to just shoot animals in the face with no consequence while they're banging on the door.  Dwarf Fortress has a mechanic where when an enemy walks through one of your doors, it's 'captured' and can no longer be locked.  I think a good Rimworld equivalent would be that doors which enemies pass through are automatically considered held open until your pawn goes through again. 

Oblitus

Need a way to forbid pawns from eating insect jelly. That junk is straight toxic.

Destroying hives takes too long. With ranged weapons, pawns are hitting anything around but hives, and in melee, it takes forever. Rinse, repeat 20 times (for each spawned hive).

Pawns with food poisoning should take bed rest. Now they are going to field work and when it gains severity they are downed and need rescue.

Tynan

Quote from: anitram on July 13, 2018, 03:41:14 AM
Also, I've noticed that I tend to get a bit better pawns in random events (visitor, escape pod, refugee chased, even capturing raiders). Not everyone is a pyromaniac who can only do cloudwatching. Some are even very good. Is this just RNG or was it changed? Thankfully, no more colonies where 10/15 are idle most of the time because they cannot do skilled labor, dumb labor, violent and doctoring.

Yes, actually, one thing I did a month or so ago was make a Monte Carlo sampler for incapabilities of generated pawns, and I re-tuned the backstory selection chance offsets related to incapabilities. It should be a lot more "even" now. Glad someone noticed!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Tynan

New build!

Still lots to do over here, taking notes and tuning. Thank you so much to those who've given feedback. Please keep it coming.

As always, the changelist is here for reference, but please try to stick to experience-based discussion for this thread.

I reworked adaptation system (formerly known as ramp-up) completely; it largely revolves around giving some breathing room after heavy losses to make recovery possible. Trying not to make the effect too extreme though. It should nudge, not dominate the numbers. Anyway, the raw data graph is available and I'd love to see any that anyone can post (ideally started from a new game after this build). There's also a "fun points" :D graph that goes with it.

----

Long range mineral scanner can be tuned to find a specific mineral.
Long range mineral scanner rework:
-It's a 3x3 building with an interaction spot on one side.
-To work, it must be used by a pawn continuously. This is "Research" work below research in priority. Its chance of finding minerals is factored by the pawn's Research speed stat.
-Separate LRMSs work totally independently. You can now use as many as you want to find as many precious lumps as you like, though of course it does consume research effort.
Fix: Adaptation double-counts pawns who are downed and killed in the same event.
Fix: Adaptation does not count colonists lost in caravans.
Fix: Adaptation curve can't draw under zero.
Storyteller adaptation rework:
-Slightly reduce population intent growth speed after population gain.
-Fix: Adaptation does not count kidnapped.
-Adapt are clamped above -40 (not zero).
-Adapt days does not grow for 20 days after game start.
-Retuned adapt days -> points factor curve.
-Retuned adaptation impact of pawn losses and downs.
-Adaptation grows at different rates depending on how high it is (faster when low and slower when high.)
-Reduce adaptation growth rate above zero at low difficulties.
Misc tuning
-Infestations points per hive 200 -> 220.
-Review/reduce eye scar chance factor.
-Increase mini-turret damage, reduce maintenance cost, decrease health.
-Reduce wound healing speed gain from tending.
-Time temporarily jumps to normal speed upon prison break incident.
New debug history graph: Threat points.
Rename rampup -> adaptation
Fix typo.
Moved more constants to SiteTuning.
Removed some more unnecessary parameters from VerbProperties methods.
Fixed minor AdjustedMeleeSelectionWeight() debug output bug.
Refactored verb adjusted damage, AP, cooldown, etc. calculations. Tools debug output now outputs selection weights.
Refactored and cleaned up the verbs/tools/maneuvers system.
beCarriedIfSick now defaults to false for animals.
Techprof subpersona core now gives the technology you're currently researching instead of a random one.

DariusWolfe

Quote from: Oblitus on July 13, 2018, 06:37:43 AM
Pawns with food poisoning should take bed rest. Now they are going to field work and when it gains severity they are downed and need rescue.

This reminds me: Would it be possible to change the terminology between bed rest and sleeping? It's minor as hell, but I've had points where I've 'argued' with a pawn who keeps trying to 'rest' in the middle of the day because I didn't realize some infection or illness had kicked off and they needed treatment; I just thought they decided to go to sleep at 2 in the afternoon; Since I sometimes have pawns decide to get up at 3 am and go play chess, I try to regulate their sleep cycles by keeping them up if they're just a bit tired.

Differentiation between 'bed rest' and 'sleep' would help to make it clearer why the pawn is trying to head to bed.

Madman666

Hats off to you, Tynan. I didn't think about this way to rework mineral scanners and at the same time solve the problem of researchers being useless late game. Now this is really amazing change. I guess i ll start a new run, to see ramp up in the work and have some fun with using new LRMSs. I tend to get quite a few research capable pawns and always have two working on researching. Finally they'll bring something good even after research is done.

Lanilor

Quote from: Tynan on July 13, 2018, 06:46:16 AM
Quote from: anitram on July 13, 2018, 03:41:14 AM
Also, I've noticed that I tend to get a bit better pawns in random events (visitor, escape pod, refugee chased, even capturing raiders). Not everyone is a pyromaniac who can only do cloudwatching. Some are even very good. Is this just RNG or was it changed? Thankfully, no more colonies where 10/15 are idle most of the time because they cannot do skilled labor, dumb labor, violent and doctoring.

Yes, actually, one thing I did a month or so ago was make a Monte Carlo sampler for incapabilities of generated pawns, and I re-tuned the backstory selection chance offsets related to incapabilities. It should be a lot more "even" now. Glad someone noticed!

In my last run I got 1 useful pawn in such events, the other 10 (?) were potatoes or utter trash. Bad sample size of cause, so hard to notice this. At a later stage I just denied refugees because I felt they will be again just a useless one that resets the colonists join variable, so the raids afterwards won't have downed raiders to capture and I didn't want to bother with a large raid for just a few weapons and corpses. High risk, low benefit.

Tynan

There's a back compatibility problem, I'm fixing it now. Fix should be up in 10-30 minutes.

WraithCadmus

Quote from: Tynan on July 13, 2018, 07:16:50 AM
There's a back compatibility problem, I'm fixing it now. Fix should be up in 10-30 minutes.

Yup, loaded a game from a few hours ago, and now have immortal bunlings wandering around

https://gist.github.com/WraithCadmus/76e2fb4181a18f897f752165697d07ca

[attachment deleted due to age]

Jstank

Quote from: WraithCadmus on July 13, 2018, 07:33:11 AM
Quote from: Tynan on July 13, 2018, 07:16:50 AM

Yup, loaded a game from a few hours ago, and now have immortal bunlings wandering around

https://gist.github.com/WraithCadmus/76e2fb4181a18f897f752165697d07ca

It's only a bunny rabbit!
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

WraithCadmus

Quote from: Jstank on July 13, 2018, 07:47:06 AM
It's only a bunny rabbit!

Weirdly it's not dangerous, it seems to be intangible, can't shoot it any more, and meleeing it results in them jabbing at each other for a while before getting bored and wandering off.

Tynan

Wow. That is not the problem I saw. I hope that was fixed too.

It may have been throwing exceptions in the dying code, which would make sense. So the poor thing was unable to die.

WraithCadmus

Could be related to the Alien Framework and Android mods I'm running, they might affect the death code for the exploding droids. Not to worry, I'm sure it'll be sorted soon.

EDIT: Yup, worked, an immortal squirrel keeled over on load, top work Tynan.