[A17 released] Launch Pods without Pods Launcher from anywhere.

Started by Wishmaster, June 10, 2017, 05:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How to make this not too OP?

Pod breakdown every 2 launches (require component to repair)
Pod damage after every launch
Refueling requires building
Pod extra damage when raiding
Rise faction base fuel prices

SpaceDorf

That way it would be easier just to use your re-use mod ..
which, by the way was the first time I actually used the droppods after building.

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Wishmaster

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 06, 2017, 08:29:03 AM
That way it would be easier just to use your re-use mod ..
which, by the way was the first time I actually used the droppods after building.

Why ? Reuse Pods requires you to build an outpost next to village if you want to trade... Involving soo much complications.

I will consider an extra research anyway. Maybe 2500 - 3000 points.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Wishmaster on October 06, 2017, 08:40:30 AM
Why ? Reuse Pods requires you to build an outpost next to village if you want to trade... Involving soo much complications.

For Trading, I did not consider that .. I never trade much with other Villages except using my dropships.

Wishmaster

I remember I had a look at this mod when I began making self launching pods. But I wanted something more vanilla.

Regarding balance. Perhaps I should consider another intermediate 2 uses pod only ?

SpaceDorf

Could you force them to return to launch stations ?

You require a launch station to send them somewhere, but the have to return there to get refueled ( like you allready suggested ) and recieve new target coordinates.

Wishmaster

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 07, 2017, 11:53:08 AM
Could you force them to return to launch stations ?

You require a launch station to send them somewhere, but the have to return there to get refueled ( like you allready suggested ) and recieve new target coordinates.

Yes I can. Just have to decide...
But those stations would likely be pod launchers from where you reload them.

Currently reaching the end game ship may be too easy: just send pods a fleet with plenty of fuel and silver (for buying fuel). Land, refuel. Abandon empty pods.
Just like a multi stage rocket.

I will start a pool to decide about balance... hopefully you are not the only one interested.

So far it should contain:

Increase pods costs.
Add research requirement.
Refueling requires building.
Prevent using pods to leave an encounter.
Increase tank capacity.
Decrease tank capacity.
Increase storage capacity.
Decrease storage capacity.

SpaceDorf

Fuel Usage is another Variable for balancing. Combined with fuel capacity it is used to finetune range.

HP matters, because reusable Pods can still be destroyed.
Construction time, how complicated are they to build in comparison to normal pods.

and what happens when a pod gets destroyed ?  Turret Syndrome or rather no possible use as ICBM

Wishmaster

I ve now been playing for few days with a functional (but buggy) mod.
Few things feel really OP.
On another hand, round-way range feels quite limited.

Balance issue:
It feels kind of OP to trade almost as a wish. Don t call for a caravan, don t walk to a friendly base, just send some a pods and trade almost instantly at any time as long you have the pods and fuel.

Workaround:
Every 2-4 launches (or more?), a pod has a breakdown and requires repair with a component. Could also have some randomness.

Balance issue:
It is possible to land at a friendly faction base, purchase fuel and go travel further... let s go to the AI ship that ends the game.

Workaround:
Make purchasing fuel at faction bases a lot higher.

Balance issue:
You can land  to an encounter (attacking a base, outpost...) and get back into your pods and leaving really easily if things go bad.

Workaround:
Damaged pods have chances to make accident occur or use more fuel. Pods get easily damaged when you are bombed by mortars.
However landing to an adjacent tile and walk to the encounter is an easy way to get around this.

On another hand, the roundway trip range seem very limited. There are few bases I can trade with.
So I will likely increase the maximum range of advanced pods and reduce fuel usage.
The new research however will remain.

SpaceDorf

Either I am Blind Stupid or Both .. but I don't see a Download Link ?

==== EDIT ====

I found it on your Git .. but I still think there is an official missing link  ::)

Wishmaster

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 11, 2017, 03:00:36 PM
Either I am Blind Stupid or Both .. but I don't see a Download Link ?

==== EDIT ====

I found it on your Git .. but I still think there is an official missing link  ::)

I just added the link to git in the topic.
I want the most aware users only to try it... There is no official archive  indeed but you can download the whole project from github. (compiled, ready to use).

Canute

QuoteBalance issue:
It feels kind of OP to trade almost as a wish. Don t call for a caravan, don t walk to a friendly base, just send some a pods and trade almost instantly at any time as long you have the pods and fuel.

Workaround:
Every 2-4 launches (or more?), a pod has a breakdown and requires repair with a component. Could also have some randomness.
Can you damage a returning pod by 90%, so it need to be repaired.

And since you allready increased the fuel cost, and you need to produce the fuel first and grow/harvest organics/wood for that first. It is balanced at this way.

Even when you could buy fuel at a friendly outpost, i don't think you should be able to fly from outpost to outpost with this droppod. Don't forget droppods was primary single use objects, every start/landing should is enough stress for, then it need a maintance after it returns.
A roundtrip would be the job for the Dropship.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Wishmaster on October 11, 2017, 03:22:19 PM
I want the most aware users only to try it... There is no official archive  indeed but you can download the whole project from github. (compiled, ready to use).

Sorry if I sabotaged your test with this ...

Wishmaster

Quote from: Canute on October 12, 2017, 01:09:01 PM
QuoteBalance issue:

Workaround:
Can you damage a returning pod by 90%, so it need to be repaired.

And since you allready increased the fuel cost, and you need to produce the fuel first and grow/harvest organics/wood for that first. It is balanced at this way.

Even when you could buy fuel at a friendly outpost, i don't think you should be able to fly from outpost to outpost with this droppod. Don't forget droppods was primary single use objects, every start/landing should is enough stress for, then it need a maintance after it returns.
A roundtrip would be the job for the Dropship.

It could be simple damages every 2 uses instead... that would however be cheaper than components requirements..
Also requiring components is like the fact that you have to rebuild something for every trip...

Also I feel like the vanilla game needs a late game way to roundtrip. Dropships mod is good but I like when things are more looking like vanilla.

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 12, 2017, 02:22:28 PM
Quote from: Wishmaster on October 11, 2017, 03:22:19 PM

Sorry if I sabotaged your test with this ...

What ? No you did not at all. that s the reason the mod is available...

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Wishmaster on October 12, 2017, 04:59:15 PM
It could be simple damages every 2 uses instead... that would however be cheaper than components requirements..

How about random damage every trip ? So you had to do maintenance every time, had to watch out for them, when doing attack runs and a small chance of losing a pod once in a while.
Another thing which I just thought of would be an external launch computer or control pod, which is required to start the other pods.

This would create a possible fast and dirty way to travel with dangers and additional work.
While Cargoships would be slower but more save, you can move alot more cargo with pods.

Wishmaster

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 13, 2017, 06:12:33 AM
Quote from: Wishmaster on October 12, 2017, 04:59:15 PM

How about random damage every trip ? So you had to do maintenance every time, had to watch out for them, when doing attack runs and a small chance of losing a pod once in a while.
Another thing which I just thought of would be an external launch computer or control pod, which is required to start the other pods.

This would create a possible fast and dirty way to travel with dangers and additional work.
While Cargoships would be slower but more save, you can move alot more cargo with pods.

random damage on every trip means that you could be stuck after a single trip if you don t have colonists on location. (currently you can send pods without colonists to a friendly base and trade with using the comms console).
I like more the idea of 90% damage every 2 trips (or 45% every trip). And or having to use components.

Attacks are made too safe for now but chances to lose a pod. But something like that would be easy to get around by landing to an adjacent tile. Or this should take effect within a certain radius around an enemy base.

If that launch computer was a thing, it would rather be the existing comms console.

===== PS =====

Just created a pool for balance.
Also added a tag on github for the pre-release. Please forgive my amateurishness.