Previous topic - Next topic

In RimWorld, which is better overall?

Solar is way better, I always use it
Solar is a bit better, I usually use it
They're well-balanced, I use both about equally
Wind is a bit better, I usually use it
Wind is way better, I always use it

JuicyPVP

I think most people use these 2 power types as a filler until they hit geothermal, or to compliment their geothermal power supply. I usually end up with 1-2 Turbines 3-6 (depends on how many sun-lamps I have) Solar Panels, and 2 geothermal units. I try to have 10 batteries never drop below 80% in case of some emergency, though now that I am typing it out this seems like overkill. lol.

PotatoeTater

I tend to use fuel generators in the early days simply because wood is plentiful. Once I am established, I tend to rely on geothermal with a few solar panels for flux power and wind turbines for my farm land.
Life is Strange

JimmyAgnt007

I modify the Anti-Matter reactor to produce 100k of power and be build-able indoors.  Its silly that such a thing produces so little power when its supposed to power a space ship.  If it cant sustain something on the ground, how can it sustain something that flies into space?

That being said, I was almost totally solar until recently when wind was handy for nighttime.  Now I'm starting to mix the two.  Still, I prefer the predictable power.  If solar runs out at night, everyone is sleeping so it doesnt matter if things turn off. (Hydroponics not included) 

b0rsuk

I use 2 solar/wind before High-Tech Research Bench, then add another one. Maybe a bit more in a cold biome. I don't bother building geothermal generators since I learned to be efficient with power use - really! Even turret farms only need a switch.

I mostly build open colonies so no sunlamps needed.

Konscience

I heavily avoid both of them, I rely only on geothermal and battery (using a couple of solar panel and windmill to recharge them, but they usually never discharge and are disconnected)
I was traumatised by the Zzzzt! event after building too much batteries.

And I will continue to avoid them like the plague as long as this event stay in vanilla.

So can't really vote here, they are both unbalanced due to non-constant power flow, even with both overlaping.

b0rsuk

Zzzzt! Event is easily circumvented by uninstalling surplus batteries. I only keep something like 2 batteries installed, the rest are fully charged and in warehouse.

DariusWolfe

I usually use Solar as a primary, and supplement with wind to even out the troughs once I have a solid solar base.

MisterVertigo

I voted "They're well-balanced, I use both about equally". I always use solar and batteries when I start out. Although there are events that can make them stop working, I usually have enough juice in my batteries to keep stuff running until they come back. Eventually I will add Wind Turbines to my colony though when I need a bit more power, but don't want to rely on having too many batteries. The inconsistency of the Wind Turbines prevent me from using them exclusively.
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

Limdood

Quote from: ChJees on January 11, 2017, 10:22:22 PM

What i really would like is more power generation types though. A bigger fuel generator or something that produce power comparable to a geothermal.

Tidal Power
I'd LOVE to see a reason for coastal bases other than "raids can't hit me from 1 side"

Some sort of building that could be built in shallow water that extends into deep water and produced a small to moderate, but consistent (or semi consistent...50-100% of a value, for example) amount of power.

koisama

Solars are completely unusable near the poles, so my vote goes to wind.
Though thanks to Zzzzt... destructiveness I don't like both, and usually go with geothermals and ship reactors.

Spdskatr

In a nutshell:

Polar regions: Mostly wind/geothermal power, emergency solar power, though wind is sometimes less reliable

Tropical regions: Solar power with wind as an emergency. Eclipses really hurt

If I had to pick one I would pick solar because most of the time it's reliable and generates power at set times, less hurt for my brain :D

I'd think they're rather balanced.
My mods

If 666 is evil, does that make 25.8069758011 the root of all evil?

Lightzy

They're well balanced. Possibly too well balanced.
For the majority of the game you pretty much need both equally, so it seems there's no real problematic considerations to be had (it's better to make both because then you can do with very few batteries if any, which is good for preventing ZAPs).
When the game starts I build 2 solar, 2 wind, and that's that. No problem, don't have to think about it anymore until I get to thermal.
With slower research this is more pronounced.

Also, Endgame colonies that people keep building long after the game has ended aren't something to take into account I think.

RazorHed

I prefer wind turbines as you can plant around them , but only if I have little to no trees. 3 or 4 fueled gennies will last me until geothermals. I try to not work with batteries anymore :)

xrumblingcdsx

There is no option to vote for neither!

I must be the odd guy out, I use ship reactors & geothermal. I play strictly vanilla, so the ship reactors suck & take a long time to get resources for them (really should produce more for their cost). BUT I completely avoid batteries and thus zzzt events.

Al-Horesmi

Wind is better because it's smoother and less affected by events, however you need to chop trees around it, and they take a lot more space. I'd say wind is better, but solar is "cheaper". I'm not talking about production costs, you need to surround your power generation with walls, and you need a lot more walls for wind turbines. However you can use empty space that wind turbines require for plants and even solar panels.