[1.0] Orassans 🐱

Started by Diana Winters, July 28, 2016, 11:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I plan on changing the look of the Orassans to more match the added storyteller. Do you want this?

Yes; I want a more cat-like look
No; keep the neko look
I don't care

Diana Winters

Update 2: New firearm. New weapon sounds, courtesy of Xen

Pepelnica1488

your mod is bugged (a18) you can't buy in orassans caravan trader all stuff just gone

Diana Winters

Quote from: Pepelnica1488 on October 29, 2017, 02:54:45 PM
your mod is bugged (a18) you can't buy in orassans caravan trader all stuff just gone

I have not experienced this issue with Orassans, however I have had issues with orbital traders.

In any case, Orassans uses the same trader defs as the vanilla outlander faction, the only difference being the pawnkinds used for the traders themselves

Diana Winters

Update 3: Cat's Eye barries added (analagous to coffee). Catnip and the new plant can only be grown by Orassans now.

Canute

QuoteCatnip and the new plant can only be grown by Orassans now.

What do you think about that catnip joints and Cat's Eye barries only consumed by orassans too. Or at last they shouldn't have an effect on other races.

And similar that smokeleaf joints shouldn't have an effect on orassans or not useable.

Diana Winters

Quote from: Canute on October 31, 2017, 04:13:07 AM

What do you think about that catnip joints and Cat's Eye barries only consumed by orassans too. Or at last they shouldn't have an effect on other races.

And similar that smokeleaf joints shouldn't have an effect on orassans or not useable.

That would severely limit their usefulness.

And even if I wanted to, it's not something I could accomplish with xml alone

kubolek01

Drugs are drugs, noone can be immune.
Eat lead, walking pile of silver! (greedy Player)
I...I can't do it. Leave it alive, please!(inner soul)
It lives 200 years to end up as a jacket?!(realists mind)
If I would go to vacation in off-Earth, even fictional place, I'd choose Nibel.

Diana Winters

Quote from: kubolek01 on October 31, 2017, 09:42:04 AM
Drugs are drugs, noone can be immune.

Not neccesarily. Different substances affect people differently, and different animals completely differently based on their biology.

For example, caffeine is deadly to insects, but beneficial to mammals thousands of times larger.

Nightinggale

Quote from: Diana Winters on October 31, 2017, 09:46:24 AMFor example, caffeine is deadly to insects, but beneficial to mammals thousands of times larger.
That point is debatable. Caffeine is a common trigger for migraine, though that might just proof the point that
Quote from: Diana Winters on October 31, 2017, 09:46:24 AMDifferent substances affect people differently
While on the topic, let's make this clear: migraine is not like a common headache, even though many people believe so. It's a disturbance in the blood flow/pressure in the head, or parts of the head and medicine for high blood pressure helps against migraine, but not common headaches. Do not mix up those two even if the symptoms are the same (pain in head). Caffeine affects the blood vessels ability to expand and constrain to maintain pressure, which is likely why it can cause migraine attacks.

Quote from: Diana Winters on October 31, 2017, 08:58:15 AM
Quote from: Canute on October 31, 2017, 04:13:07 AM

That would severely limit their usefulness.

And even if I wanted to, it's not something I could accomplish with xml alone
The question about having drugs, which affects different races differently is an interesting one, but it's a question for the alien race framework, not the individual mods.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

Canute

Quote from: Nightinggale on October 31, 2017, 10:08:09 AM
Quote from: Diana Winters on October 31, 2017, 09:46:24 AMFor example, caffeine is deadly to insects, but beneficial to mammals thousands of times larger.
That point is debatable. Caffeine is a common trigger for migraine, though that might just proof the point that
We talk about different races, even different metabolism that just got <5% similar DNA then humans.
Beside insects most earth animals got >75% similar DNA like humans.

A human luxury food resource could be a neurotoxin for an alien.

Nightinggale

Quote from: Canute on October 31, 2017, 11:31:53 AMWe talk about different races, even different metabolism that just got <5% similar DNA then humans.
Quote from: Canute on October 31, 2017, 11:31:53 AMA human luxury food resource could be a neurotoxin for an alien.
I think we agree, but you misunderstood my point. The first part was to question the statement about mammals in general when it's not even true for all humans, which points towards not having the same settings for everything. The next part:
Quote from: Nightinggale on October 31, 2017, 10:08:09 AMThe question about having drugs, which affects different races differently is an interesting one, but it's a question for the alien race framework, not the individual mods.
This is about if new C# code is to be written to support diversity, it should be done in the framework and not in this mod specifically. It's not about the goal of this mod, but rather a technical consideration on how it should be implemented. I'm not even sure it's a good idea to implement because it might be too time consuming and complex to implement and set up in xml compared to what it provides to the game.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

Canute

Basicly i like it simple too.
But Diana added Orassan drugs, catnip from the beginning and now these Cat's Eye barries.
And i though why does these special drugs exist ? My answer was the smokeleafe and coffee don't got any effect on Orassans thats why they cultivate their own.
And when the human drugs don't got any effect on Orassans, their drugs should/could be harmless to humans too.
Small other reason, i saw many times some pawn got downed because they smoked a catnip joint after a smokeleafe joint ! :-)

And i though, since you can restrict appearal to special races, this can be done with drugs/food too.

Diana Winters

Quote from: Canute on October 31, 2017, 01:14:32 PM
Basicly i like it simple too.
But Diana added Orassan drugs, catnip from the beginning and now these Cat's Eye barries.
And i though why does these special drugs exist ? My answer was the smokeleafe and coffee don't got any effect on Orassans thats why they cultivate their own.
And when the human drugs don't got any effect on Orassans, their drugs should/could be harmless to humans too.
Small other reason, i saw many times some pawn got downed because they smoked a catnip joint after a smokeleafe joint ! :-)

And i though, since you can restrict appearal to special races, this can be done with drugs/food too.

Oooooooooooor, if you want to restrict these things, you can do so with drug policies.

The catnip plant was mostly added as a joke. Cat's Eye berries were added in anticipation of a future feature (wink wink) and because of the unique plantlife on their own planet. Orassans grow the things they do because they were on their own planet, not because the things found on earth "don't work"

Nightinggale

I just released a tool called ModCheck. It adds a bunch of features related to using multiple mods together. What can be used here is adding an error message if the mod is loaded without alien framework and allowing moving all the patch mods into the main mod itself, where it will patch itself if mods of certain names are loaded. This would remove the need for any mod patches, making both distribution and mod list setup a lot easier.

I would like you to try it out. Not only would I think the mod would benefit from it, but also because while I did some testing, it lacks real mod testing and not just constructed test setups. Also while I tried to document everything, I don't know how easy it is to understand without prior knowledge of the source code. Feedback would be most welcome.

At the same time if the lack of widespread testing makes you back off for the time being, then that's fine too. It's an offer, not a demand.

Diana Winters

Update 4: Orassan agrarian techniques have been added