Toxic Fallout - Remove?

Started by cronicscream, September 04, 2015, 05:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRyder

They don't have to stay inside all the time. Brief exposure isn't fatal. But, for example, you may have to limit their exposure by tightening up where you allow them to work and making sure that they don't wander around outside.

SaintD

The only problem with the event, for me, is the serious long term effect upon the map itself. All animals are killed and almost all the vegetation, and as a result the map is extremely sparse for an incredibly long time. The time it takes for the map to recover is far more than the repeat delay on the event itself.

Every single time I've played a temperate map I have had this event occur within the first three quarters of the first year, and it's tiresome to choose a map type that almost immediately becomes irrelevant because toxic fallout will kill it all regardless.

I don't actually have any sort of problem surviving it, even when I first encountered it with no prior knowledge. The issue is that this event creates an apocalyptic wasteland out of the map, and is absolutely guaranteed to occur eventually.

akiceabear

Quoteis absolutely guaranteed to occur eventually. 

This is the real problem - with all events. If you play any game for 2 years you'll inevitably see every event at least once. It makes each colony less unique.

The solution isn't nerfing this one event - its adding so many events that the probability of any single event is quite low, so it feels special when it does fire. "I heard about this one, let's see if I can make it through!"

TLHeart

Quote from: xlockeed on September 05, 2015, 01:50:32 AM
Quote from: mc858 on September 04, 2015, 08:55:49 PM
why would they give a damn if i sell a prisoner that minutes ago was trying to KILL EVERYONE IN MY COLONY

its like a -20 hit on their happiness.....it just doesnt make any sense and its annoying af

wish i could disable it along with mechs and evil ships....the game would be 100x better IMO
You sold them into slavery or an organ farmer. Think about it, will you be next if the time comes? Moral hit. It's -8 by the way and lasts a day cycle.

Selling is a slave is now a -8 for the first slave sold for 15 days, in rimworld that is 1 1/2 months.

RemingtonRyder

Mood penalties are now scaled according to difficulty now, as well.

It's possible to mod the toxic fallout event so that it doesn't happen as soon as the first year. I think that should be default. I also think that yes, the eventuality of the storyteller cycling through all the possible events gets tiresome.

mc858

Quote from: Lady Wolf on September 05, 2015, 04:17:30 AM
Quote from: cronicscream on September 04, 2015, 05:09:08 PMAnyone know of anyway to remove the event Toxic Fallout?

Quote from: mc858 on September 04, 2015, 08:55:49 PM

I wish i could disable it along with mechs and evil ships....the game would be 100x better IMO

You can disable all these things rather easily if you really want to, all you need is a text editor like note pad, or win32 pad and about 15 minutes of time. (I prefer win32 pad because it's free and has an option to enable line # so you can easily reference values.)

To disable the toxic fallout event:

Go to the Mods/core/defs/incidentdefs folder and open the Incidents_Bad_Misc.xml

Go to line 55 <chance>0.25</chance>

Change the 0.25 to 0.00 to prevent the toxic fallout from happening. (Down a little lower in the same file are values to adjust the length of time is last and such as well if you simply wish to lessen the duration or severity.)

To lessen/remove the slavery penalty:

Using your text editor of choice just go into your mods/core/defs/thoughtdefs folder and open the Thoughts_Memories.xml

Go to line 412 <baseMoodEffect>-8</baseMoodEffect>

Change the value to -2 or what not to make the penalty less severe or 0 to sell prisoners with impunity.

To disable the mechanoid faction:

CMods/Core/Defs/FactionDefs folder and open the Factions.xml

Go to line 312     <raidCommonality>37</raidCommonality>

Change the 37 to 0 to stop the mechanoid raids.

To disable the evil psychic ship event:

Go to the Mods/core/defs/incidentdefs folder and open the Incidents_Bad_ThreatsBig.xml

Go to line 29 <chance>1.1</chance>

Change the 1.1 to 0 to turn off the psychic ship event.

I hope this helps you both adjust the game more to your liking, feel free to post here or pm me if you have any questions on it.  8)

thank you very much!

mc858

also let me clarify for those saying this is whining and the point is to lose:

The events i mentioned (fallout,mechs,evil ships) usually occur at a time when i have 5-6 colonists and MAYBE one sniper rifle as my best weapon. Its basically game over when most of those things happen for me. I know you all can beat them- but even fighting mechs for example is tedious because all you do is position someone as far from them as possible and watch that person get hungry/pissed while he shoots for 2 days.

The events just dont feel fleshed out to be honest. Its not like disabling them makes the game a cake walk. A couple years into the game i usually have huge raids to deal with and those, i actually enjoy. The enemies are varied (use modern weapons/primitive weapons) - they rush my base (unlike evil ships that just destroy the map) - and i can use a lot of different strategies to fight them (as opposed to just one) 

I understand there is a point in the game when all you do is watch your colony run itself (on the fast speed) but that point takes a lot of gametime for me to reach. Thats when i declare mission accomplished and start a new game tbh.....i wouldnt mind all those events i hate to take place late game but i know everyone has their own tastes and wouldnt agree with me

Also- the mood penalty for me was -19 not -8 for selling prisoners. It still doesnt make sense that it would even make my colonists (who have no traits such as Compassion,etc ) upset. The guy was about to kill you- and now you are getting money for him. Why are you going berserk Mr.Pawn???

Mihsan

Quote from: cronicscream on September 04, 2015, 05:09:08 PMIt makes the game so boring and I get it every game and end up starting over.

Well that is the point of RimWorld, doesnt it? Ruined colonies, starvation, the loss of loved ones, canibalism, pain, much more pain and other stuff like that.

For me toxic fallout is the best and the most fun event in this tame by the way. It is not too dangerous, but keeps the game fresh and a bit on edge.

Also I never lost no colony and not a single colonist to this evend (not directly at least). Do not understand, what is your problem.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

b0rsuk

Selling colonists - maybe it's not just compassion, but fear ? If they sold Bill the Raider, maybe they will sell me to ? Krammer is greedy psychopath, how far can he go ? What happens if I take a shot to the brain, get some kind of crippling injury... will they sell me ?

Rimworld events in general are very formulaic. Each has a definite solution, always the same. I'm not challenged anymore, finally I even learned how to withstand tribal attacks.

cronicscream

What makes the Toxic Fallout event extra annoying is there is little you can do about it, like the Solar Flare event - at least it only lasts a day.

The Toxic Fallout event would be more interesting if you could do something to help negate it, like the Eclipse event - build a more varying power generation system (We need nuclear generator that uses uranium). So for the Toxic Fallout event, why not make it so we can create/buy a radiation suit, or research a fertilizer that makes plants more resistant to it?

RND shouldn't be the major factor in any game and having more options for those killer events helps to negate the RND effect.

mc858

Quote from: cronicscream on September 05, 2015, 03:13:24 PM
What makes the Toxic Fallout event extra annoying is there is little you can do about it, like the Solar Flare event - at least it only lasts a day.

The Toxic Fallout event would be more interesting if you could do something to help negate it, like the Eclipse event - build a more varying power generation system (We need nuclear generator that uses uranium). So for the Toxic Fallout event, why not make it so we can create/buy a radiation suit, or research a fertilizer that makes plants more resistant to it?

RND shouldn't be the major factor in any game and having more options for those killer events helps to negate the RND effect.

wow thats an excellent idea

i think we all need to keep in mind that we have a right to complain but at the same time there is only one dev (a very talented one) and this is an alpha- so our thoughts and opinions shouldnt be considered whining- but input

zandadoum

Quote from: b0rsuk on September 05, 2015, 12:59:23 PM
Selling colonists - maybe it's not just compassion, but fear ? If they sold Bill the Raider, maybe they will sell me to ? Krammer is greedy psychopath, how far can he go ? What happens if I take a shot to the brain, get some kind of crippling injury... will they sell me ?
- If you only take escape pods or bought slaves into your colony, why would they have to fear that just coz i sold a prisoner? maybe one of my old time colonists needs a kidney, why should we get a debuff for harvesting one off a savage that tried to kill us? in any case we should get a positive buff for saving one of our guys?
- if i allowed greedy psycopath into my colony, i would tell him there are rules. like "you go too far, we will harvest and sell you" and everyone would agree as it's for the greater good of the colony. so why get a debuff for it?
- same as above for injuries with no cure. i would never let anyone into my colony without setting some core rules and agreements. if you are damaged in a way we can't cure you and you become useless to the colony, you will be euthanized and maybe, just MAYBE you'll get a nice personal grave

and as we are at it: i offer safety to one guy which i know nothing about. he enter the map far away (i play on a huge map) and turns out he's basically a cripple. raiders catch up on him and kill him, then leave. why do my colonists get a debuff for not inmediatly burying him? we didn't even know him yet.

Rimworld is a harsh game, yes. but it's not realistic in some aspects (will never be, it's a game after all) and the thing i don't like is that it punishes for everything, but rarely rewards you with anything. if there are so many stuff that can negatively affect your guys, there should be at least the same amount of stuff that can affect you positively. and that's just not the case.
there are like 30+ things that put negative debuffs on your colonists and maybe around 15 positive debuffs, counting joy, green thumb, beer, nice surroundings, etc.

actually, maybe someone has a precise list for both buffs and debuffs :D

Quote from: mc858 on September 05, 2015, 04:10:23 PM
Quote from: cronicscream on September 05, 2015, 03:13:24 PM

wow thats an excellent idea

i think we all need to keep in mind that we have a right to complain but at the same time there is only one dev (a very talented one) and this is an alpha- so our thoughts and opinions shouldnt be considered whining- but input
well, you CAN do something about it... build a inside base.

my current base it an outside base, but i have roofed soil areas that just need a sun lamp and heater to grow 24/7 all year long. takes only a small trip from kitchen to harvest and back. the guys that get above "initial" on the toxic level will stay in the main room. i build some corridors to have bedrooms, dining room and kitchen accesible without going outside. not hard to do with a few walls.

TLHeart

Quote from: MarvinKosh on September 05, 2015, 10:42:18 AM
Mood penalties are now scaled according to difficulty now, as well.

It's possible to mod the toxic fallout event so that it doesn't happen as soon as the first year. I think that should be default. I also think that yes, the eventuality of the storyteller cycling through all the possible events gets tiresome.

where is the related code for that, as when I tested selling of slaves, it is a -8 for the first slave regardless of story teller or difficulty. Still stacks just like it did before also, where selling three slaves is a -19.

Mihsan

Quote from: cronicscream on September 05, 2015, 03:13:24 PMThe Toxic Fallout event would be more interesting if you could do something to help negate it, like the Eclipse event - build a more varying power generation system (We need nuclear generator that uses uranium). So for the Toxic Fallout event, why not make it so we can create/buy a radiation suit, or research a fertilizer that makes plants more resistant to it?

I'm not agree with your point of view. The only limitation is that you can not go outside for a long time, but other than that there is a tones of options. You can grow food (just a few walls around your regular field and solar lamp will do the work). You can buy food. You can defend yourself with turrets. Mentioned solar flare will leave you much less options.

And that idea with growing outside during fallout is just illogical. Sounds like something that you never will be doing IRL because then toxines will be in the food, that you grow. Much logical is to build isolated greenhouse and grow plants there. Which is what you should do in the game too.

But I like the radiation suit idea (but more like hazmat suit though). Also power armor + helmet IMO should give such protection too.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

cronicscream

Quote from: zandadoum on September 05, 2015, 04:11:17 PM
well, you CAN do something about it... build a inside base.

my current base it an outside base, but i have roofed soil areas that just need a sun lamp and heater to grow 24/7 all year long. takes only a small trip from kitchen to harvest and back. the guys that get above "initial" on the toxic level will stay in the main room. i build some corridors to have bedrooms, dining room and kitchen accesible without going outside. not hard to do with a few walls.

Yes and I have done that but only having one solution to a problem makes the game one dimensional. Building the same type of base, game after game, makes the game dull, boring, and repetitive. Having other options reverses those effects.

Quote from: Mihsan on September 05, 2015, 05:34:36 PM
I'm not agree with your point of view. The only limitation is that you can not go outside for a long time, but other than that there is a tones of options. You can grow food (just a few walls around your regular field and solar lamp will do the work). You can buy food. You can defend yourself with turrets. Mentioned solar flare will leave you much less options.

And that idea with growing outside during fallout is just illogical. Sounds like something that you never will be doing IRL because then toxines will be in the food, that you grow. Much logical is to build isolated greenhouse and grow plants there. Which is what you should do in the game too.

But I like the radiation suit idea (but more like hazmat suit though). Also power armor + helmet IMO should give such protection too.

I see your point, but this is a sci-fi setting. Why can't there be a compound you can research that makes plants more resistant to toxins (or blights for that matter) and also not carry it after harvest.

If you carry your thought further, then after a toxic fallout the soil should be contaminated for years after and not support any life (animals included), but what fun would that be?