Alpha 13 - New events are gonna be hilarious

Started by RickyMartini, January 28, 2016, 12:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toggle

See, but now your opinion will probably be discussed, which just derails it more. If you put in your personal opinion on something off-topic you're displaying a big 'Discuss this' sign.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Nanao-kun

I stopped reading the thread past halfway through the second page because it was mostly nonsense.

If gay, bi, etc. are traits, that means they'll take up space for other traits. Will they be part of a separate column of traits or will they share space with the old traits? Will we get to have colonists with more than a max of three traits? (Three was the current max right? I haven't played in a while.)

porcupine

Quote from: Wayfaerer on February 17, 2016, 06:40:51 PM
On Gender in rimworld.

I think having more fluid genders is a great idea. Especially when we're talking about the far flung future of who knows when were I've been replacing perfectly good limbs on colonists because I have spare robot legs and I need them to be faster. That's stark utilitarianism by contrast to this.
[...]

Honestly, I think this is a bad idea, let me explain why:

I was under the impression that gender was a non-point in rimworld (up to this point, all colonists are asexual, so it is really a non-issue).

Rimworld doesn't need to track gender, it needs to track sex (sure, there can be a spectrum here if we're going to worry about the delicious parts as opposed to the genetic parts [male, female, alien, hermaphrodite, mayonnaise, etc.]).

At the end of the day, we shouldn't be giving a damn about a colonists gender, as Tynan had previously said, its basically lazy coding, let the events play out without specific restriction.  If that makes everybody permanently fluid, so be it, but that's the entire point, lazy coding.  Tracking in detail a colonists sexual preferences/traits in a level of depth that is not devoted to the rest of the game is a poor investment of time IMHO.

KillTyrant

I took the first post as a joke. Even if he is being serious, as long as the game mechanics dont break. Ill be okay with whatever. My own personal views on gender and topics related, hold zero water when it comes to the implementation of this update. If you are really that pissed about it then make a level headed argument. Virtually throwing up your arms and screaming wildly will not get you the desired outcome you want. For some people, this is a very touchy subject and this isnt a place that your freedom of expression is guaranteed. So if you cant abide by the rules set forth than I would suggest not posting.

Veneke

Quote from: Nanao-kun on February 17, 2016, 08:53:17 PMIf gay, bi, etc. are traits, that means they'll take up space for other traits.

Presumably it would either have to be a separate category of trait which everyone was assigned or mechanics would have to exist that give the trait weight (perhaps something like negative mood if there are no potential partners in the colony?). If it exists as a normal trait and has no mechanic-related impact then that's a real balance problem.

Alternatively I suppose if colonists have offspring then gay as a trait could impact on that, but that's definitely not in the next alpha.

Listen1

Since, as Tynan said, it is lazy codding, it's probably just a subgender defined by the backstory, Heterosexual man, homosexual woman.

Being a Trait would be a bad ideia, since it your sexual preferences dosen't impact in the efficiency you chop wood or cook meals.

StorymasterQ

Certainly, being a homosexual man would impact on your beauty perception. "Red shirt with green pants? Ugh."

j/k
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

A Friend

Quote from: StorymasterQ on February 18, 2016, 07:27:54 PM
Certainly, being a homosexual man would impact on your beauty perception. "Red shirt with green pants? Ugh."

Somewhere out there...

A Christmas elf cries himself to sleep...
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

praguepride

Lol @ this thread.

As a part time programmer I laugh at how much easier it would be to say 'ANYBODY CAN BE ANYTHING' and it has nothing to do with SJW and more like not having to put a billion if/then/where clauses into your code.

You say SJW, I say KISS KISS!! (keep it simple stupid!)

Listen1

Quote from: A Friend on February 18, 2016, 09:06:26 PM
Quote from: StorymasterQ on February 18, 2016, 07:27:54 PM

Somewhere out there...

A Christmas elf cries himself to sleep...

Random event. Santa's coming to town!

If you are a good boy, you get beer, chocolate, maybe a puppy or a colonist!
Well, use your imagination if you are not.

Shurp

So in the interest of derailing an already seriously derailed thread, when is the vegetarian trait going to be implemented?

"Ewww, animal meat, yuk!"
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Panzer

Quote from: Listen1 on February 19, 2016, 05:26:26 AM
Random event. Santa's coming to town!

If you are a good boy, you get beer, chocolate, maybe a puppy or a colonist!
Well, use your imagination if you are not.

Terrarias mecha santa? ;D

Listen1

Quote from: Shurp on February 19, 2016, 06:12:28 AM
So in the interest of derailing an already seriously derailed thread, when is the vegetarian trait going to be implemented?

"Ewww, animal meat, yuk!"

On the same note, a cannibal "Ewww, vegetarian meat"

Quote from: Panzer on February 19, 2016, 06:13:39 AM
Terrarias mecha santa? ;D

http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/terraria.gamepedia.com/d/dc/Santa-NK1_phase_2.png?version=3f323fa6407ba4534b35647eaf47ac68

Yeah XD forgot about those

jzero

Guys. 11 pages is enough. We have discussed the CRAP out of gay/bi/trans sexuals. It has seriously gotten to the point where we are talking about mecha-santa. This thread needs to finish up and end. If we cant do this i will personally post a thread in off topic called "gay/bi/transgender discussion" and we can move it over there.
Actual cannibal shia labeouf.

Listen1

Quote from: jzero on February 20, 2016, 11:09:59 PM
Guys. 11 pages is enough. We have discussed the CRAP out of gay/bi/trans sexuals. It has seriously gotten to the point where we are talking about mecha-santa. This thread needs to finish up and end. If we cant do this i will personally post a thread in off topic called "gay/bi/transgender discussion" and we can move it over there.

And gay/bi/transgender/mecha-santa, don't forget about him.

And yeah, topic should be closed. If not, someone will revive it and this discussion will restart