Combat Extended - Combat Realism Reboot, looking for testers

Started by NoImageAvailable, April 16, 2017, 10:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gariba

Quote from: Umbreon117 on June 04, 2017, 03:42:27 PM
Hi there, I'm not a moderator, but SimpleSidearms does work quite well, if you are willing to customize some of the stuff it lets you edit.

However it is relatively basic, and you are fully capable of having a minigun as a sidearm...No I am not joking. They may not want to have that, or they may have something else planned.

Sorry, I failed to get through what I really wanted to say. I didn't mean to imply that there is already another mod that implements a feature they discussed, so they should drop it, but that it could serve as reference, code-wise and gameplay-wise.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: gariba on June 04, 2017, 03:17:24 PM
@NIA & ProfoundDarkness:
I've seen on github something about setting flags to weapons, like hunting, melee ad ranged for automatic switching. Have you looked at SimpleSidearms?
I still haven't played A17 yet, but it seems to implement most of what you discussed, plus some better control over switching weapons. Back in A16 with CR I used to equip my soldiers with assault rifles for long/mid range and shotguns for close quarters, and sometimes even grenades, but opening each pawn's inventory to change weapons was annoying.

We've already discussed that mod internally, actually. The problem with simply integrating an existing mod is that a lot of the time they're going to have their own systems in place to handle things which may overlap or conflict with our own existing solutions. So you end up having to adapt a lot of the code and by the end you spent more time trying to get an existing mod integrated than it would have taken you to just create your own functionality designed to work with your existing framework.

For that reason we're not very likely to directly incorporate SimpleSidearms into CE. A better sidearms UI is definitely on our list of things to look into post-1.0 but it'll most likely be an in-house solution with possibly some inspiration taken from other mods.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

rambo

After testing this out for my self I found a few alot of gliches and bugs. The one that annoyed me the worst was the stationary weapons they dont work at all

porcupine

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on June 04, 2017, 09:35:40 PM
We've already discussed that mod internally, actually. The problem with simply integrating an existing mod is that a lot of the time they're going to have their own systems in place to handle things which may overlap or conflict with our own existing solutions. So you end up having to adapt a lot of the code and by the end you spent more time trying to get an existing mod integrated than it would have taken you to just create your own functionality designed to work with your existing framework.

Hey NIA, gotta ask:  Have you looked at/discussed the ideas around the Real Fog of War mod?  I'd love to see FOW integrated into CR/CE, though I know it's a stretch...

rambo

Quote from: rambo on June 05, 2017, 12:23:25 PM
After testing this out for my self I found a few alot of gliches and bugs. The one that annoyed me the worst was the stationary weapons they dont work at all

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: porcupine on June 05, 2017, 05:00:18 PM
Hey NIA, gotta ask:  Have you looked at/discussed the ideas around the Real Fog of War mod?  I'd love to see FOW integrated into CR/CE, though I know it's a stretch...

I've seen it but never actually tried it myself. Maybe once it gets a finished release and some of the performance issues are ironed out. Don't really see a particular reason to integrate it if it works just fine as stand-alone though.

NoImageAvailable