Ability to craft armor

Started by JRocket12, March 25, 2015, 11:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRocket12

I would like to see an option on this game where you have the ability to craft armor and energy shields like you would with shirts and jackets. The only real change is that you could craft chest plates with steel or something along those lines, and energy shields with another thing.

b0rsuk

So what's wrong with Devilstrand apparel ?

I think Rimworld is more on the low-tech side of things. Just because it's a sci-fi game doesn't mean these things are easy to obtain. Tynan has stated current ships flying by and trading stuff is a placeholder, and in future trade will mostly involve people on the same planet. And not every planet is a Glitterworld. So it's likely the availability of personal shields and other gizmos will decrease, if anything. Also, the game is in part inspired by Firefly.

JimmyAgnt007

if we can make ship parts, solar panels, power plants, beer, and light bulbs then im sure we can flatten a piece of metal and put straps on it.  if we can make armor out of 'stuff' then that would be nice.  power armor and guns i can see being more complex but even they shouldnt be out of reach compared to the other things we can make like an anti-matter reactor.

Keychan

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on March 26, 2015, 08:43:12 AM
...if we can make armor out of 'stuff' then that would be nice.  power armor and guns i can see being more complex but even they shouldnt be out of reach compared to the other things we can make like an anti-matter reactor.

All I could imagine was someone walking around with large granite plates strapped onto their chest and legs. ;D I believe that guns and armor should be researchable mechanics in the game, but the process of making them shouldn't be easy.  Like there could be tiered armor, ranging from chainmail to plate armor.  The crafting time on them could also be high and quality would be heavily reliant on a high crafting skill.

ja7833

...if we can make armor out of 'stuff' then that would be nice...they shouldnt be out of reach compared to the other things we can make like an anti-matter reactor.

I agree the ability to make basic armor makes sense (leather, chain mail, etc.) perhaps even somewhat modern armor (Devilstrand+Plasteel=kevlar?) but the ability to make or not make things is a delicate balance in RimWorld in general to keep game play balanced (regardless of the practical logic of it). 
"Someone who is making anywhere from $300,000 to $750,000, that's middle class."  - Frederick Heineman

Argon

Quote from: Keychan on March 26, 2015, 10:30:14 AM
...if we can make armor out of 'stuff' then that would be nice.  power armor and guns i can see being more complex but even they shouldnt be out of reach compared to the other things we can make like an anti-matter reactor.

All I could imagine was someone walking around with large granite plates strapped onto their chest and legs. ;D I believe that guns and armor should be researchable mechanics in the game, but the process of making them shouldn't be easy.  Like there could be tiered armor, ranging from chainmail to plate armor.  The crafting time on them could also be high and quality would be heavily reliant on a high crafting skill.

Agreed.  The truth is that wooden armor would be quite effective against shoddy shivs and bows, at least improving your colonist's odds of survival a bit.

-Argon

BetaSpectre

Basic armor makes sense. Even Kevlar with metal plates inside makes sense.  Power armor? Not so much. Maybe there should be the potential if you have the resouces and a crafter with high enough skill.

But IMO most of it should be stuck to its decent enough.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO