Nightblue's Character Fan Art/Story thread

Started by nightblue, March 10, 2015, 09:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nightblue

Thanks a lot guys :)  Having fun with all the new stuff (whoa animal taming???) and the colony has already gotten out of hand, heheh ^^b

--------------

Twilight of day 10

A group of traders from the Grey Hills tribe visited, with weapons and monkeys for sale.  Charmed by the strange little creatures, Sparkles could not resist spending the majority of the colony's meager stock of silver in exchange for two of them.  The practical-minded India would not have agreed with this investment, and Sparkles could already imagine the cold glint in the clerk's eyes lurking behind her ever-smiling pleasantness.  India had retreated to the battery closet to get a quiet night's sleep alone, however, and Sparkles decided that she wouldn't worry about it until later.

Things took an unexpected turn when a huge, majestic, horned animal was sighted during dinner time.  From the tribesmen's awed whispers, Sparkles gathered that this creature was called a "Thrumbo".  The beast appeared almost god-like to Sparkles, but it inspired only excited discussions over the value of its horn among the Grey Hills people.  The numbers they casually tossed out stunned the girl, and she suddenly had an idea.

If she could take down the creature, she would earn much more silver than what she splurged on the animals.  India would be pleased.  Sparkles didn't truly desire to get on the camp leader's bad side.  There was something intimidating about the diminutive lady.

The thrombo was asleep when Sparkles crept into range.  Even in the dim moonlight, the girl had to pause for a moment in admiration of the creature's natural gracefulness.  Long flowing silvery fur covered the muscular long neck of the beast, while the precious horn glinted a pearly glow atop its slender head.  Sparkles was so nervous that she missed her first shot, but miraculously the huge beast did not wake.  Inhaling deeply, she fired a second time.

A deafening roar stunned the bold girl.  She suddenly realized that there might have been a reason that the silver-loving Gray Hills people did not hunt so valuable a prize.  As she turned to flee, she could hear trees being crushed behind her.  The enraged beast's growl sounded like the thunderclaps from an electric storm, and Sparkles had never run so fast in her life.

Sparkles sought the safety of the turrets she set up earlier in the day, hoping that the bullets would deter the beast.  In horror, she saw that the tribes people had set up bedrolls right around the turrets.  Not expecting trouble from this pathetic small band of castaways, the Grey Hills people did not post guards.  Thus, they were taken by complete surprise as the beast charged into the camp.

The confusion was total, and chaos ensued.  Sparkles fired desperately at the tall animal, while the tribesmen fell over themselves as they scrambled to get away.  The thrumbo roared again and charged, stomping right over one of Sparkle's turrets as well as another tribesman.  Before a horrified scream could escape from Sparkle's mouth, the crushed turret exploded into a giant fireball.  A sharp pain shot across Sparkles' head, and she realized that she could no longer see out of her right eye.  With the remaining eye, the girl looked on, unbelieving, as the beast stumbled to a crushing halt among several motionless bodies.

An arrow flew past Sparkles.  Looking up, she saw an enraged tribeswoman glaring at her.  Sparkles had the presence of mind to dive out of the way.

"You killed them!" the tribeswoman cried as a second arrow sank deeply into the wooden wall Sparkles hid behind.  The woman's voice was coarse with anger and exhaustion, but Sparkles somehow heard it loud and clear above the thrashing of the dying beast, the wailing of the traders, and the crackling from the burning wreckage.

The woman fell.  Sparkles realized then the trader had been badly injured.  She felt confused, guilty, and sick with grief.  However, there were more pressing needs to attend to. 

Sparkles ignored the promise of revenge the few surviving tribesmen hurled at her as they fled, accusing her of shooting down the woman in cold blood.  She pushed aside the questions the awakened and confused India shouted at her.  She shrugged off the searing pain in her face and the distant thought that her right eye might never see again.  She carried the tribeswoman to her own room and scrambled to find bandages. 
Don't mind me, just slacking off and having fun :)

ArtStation
DeviantArt

Mr.Cross

Claims to know most things.

A Friend

The character sketches and story telling is gorgeous. I feel jelly.
Keep up the (legendary 100%) work!
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Chicken Breast

Haha that Thrumbo encounter. I know that feel bro. I'm scheming immediately when I see one come on screen. I never have the gear or manpower to take it on but I did take one down with just three colonists anyway lol. Almost lost two of them but hey, that thrumbo horn is worth money. Not to mention that meat is plentiful :D

I really want to ask you for an art trade but all I have to offer are okay GFX skills. I make forum signatures, wallpapers, that sort of thing. If you're interested, message me, I'd like just one sketch for one scene from my story a few threads below this one. If you're not interested, or don't have time, I understand. Just know that I support your work and I hope you do a lot more with it in the future!

Sig by Me!

nightblue

Quote from: Saint on April 10, 2016, 02:11:52 PM
Haha that Thrumbo encounter. I know that feel bro. I'm scheming immediately when I see one come on screen. I never have the gear or manpower to take it on but I did take one down with just three colonists anyway lol. Almost lost two of them but hey, that thrumbo horn is worth money. Not to mention that meat is plentiful :D

I really want to ask you for an art trade but all I have to offer are okay GFX skills. I make forum signatures, wallpapers, that sort of thing. If you're interested, message me, I'd like just one sketch for one scene from my story a few threads below this one. If you're not interested, or don't have time, I understand. Just know that I support your work and I hope you do a lot more with it in the future!

Thrumbo horn = ~1200 silver
Bionic eye for Sparkles = ~1400?? silver (and operation failed, so time that by 2 or more!)
GrayHills people rep @ -98 = priceless

Not sure if worth, but talk about a cool moment of chaos :)  Playing on "Rough" on Randy storyteller btw, stuff gone really crazy right after that with waves of raiders and man hunters who fortunately killed each other before my horribly injured colonists bled to death.

I'm a bit overwhelmed schedule-wise right now (which is why I'm slacking off playing games rather than doing useful... panic level orange, lol) but maybe we can make something happen once RL stops throwing Randy Random raids at me ;)  Thanks a lot for the kind comments!

ArtStation
DeviantArt

Chicken Breast

Hey no problem man, I try to encourage good artists when I see good artwork. I'll be around the forums, so hopefully we'll see each other around. I'll be looking for more posts in this thread for sure.

Sig by Me!

dartasan

Well i have a new favorite topic. Thanks for the quality story telling and the astounding artwork. Keep it up!
Mal:"I aim to Misbehave"

Newt:"They Mostly come at night....Mostly"

Hawksquill

How glad am I that I opened up this topic! Stunning art and storytelling in one. Looking forward to seeing more of your amazing skills.

nightblue

Can never stay off of Rimworld for too long :)  Especially now that it's on steam and I always have the darn thing open...

New colony.  Did not think this through, at all :P

======================

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

ArtStation
DeviantArt

Shinzy

ohhh my gosh! ;D
..least you don't need lawnmowers anymore
(I'm so glad to see you're alive, still!)

nightblue

Haha yes still kickin'!  Never seem to really stop being busy, but Rimworld = best escape :)

ArtStation
DeviantArt

1 Kiwi

Ever plan on picking up on a new story/colony again to post about?
Dusty keyboard