[B18][WIP] Parallel Power Grid (Parallel Conduits) 1.0f (updated: 16/12/2017)

Started by Supes, November 30, 2017, 12:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supes

Parallel Power Grid (Parallel Conduits) (work in progress)

Description:
This allows you to use multiple layer of conduits on the same tile.

Additional Info
This mod adds Parallel Conduits in Red and Blue.  I had planned a green conduit but I was kind of lacking space on the tile to make it reasonably visible.

these conduits don't allow devices to directly connect to them (consider them underground and out of reach), but link up to a Parallel Conduit Sockets instead.

A Parallel Conduit Socket is your bridge linking all conduit layers together (including normal conduits or power grid).

Power can go both ways, so it can draw from or charge up batteries if there is a lack/surplus of power.

Power will go directly to the sockets on the grid that power is required to go to, and will split between the sockets on the grid there.

Development Information
Since this is a work in progress, I've made it available for testing so I can get feedback.

What feedback I'm looking for:
since this creates my own secondary multi layered power grid, this mod also adds stuff to the existing power grid (the existing power grid being one of the layers).  I'd like to know if you suffer from noticeable performance impact on larger power grid setups.

I'd also like to know if there's any problems with other mods, and if the conduits (visually) link up with other mods items.

Let me know if any errors (especially red errors) pop up at any time

Let me know if it doesn't register changes in the grid from switches, deconstruction or damage

Development List
Grid create/destroy - Done
Xml Defs - Done
Patches - Done
Translations - Created English, updating
Textures - Done
Batteries - Testing

I'm mostly happy with the textures, I'm not sure about the Socket Textures.  I've created both keyed and DefInjected in english to make it easier to translate, I'm mostly testing and refining the mod at the moment.

Credit
TheWireLord for Power Conduit Deconstruction Mod

Uninstalling
it should be safe to remove even though it adds stuff to existing power items.

Known Issues
while the mod is WIP, sockets will show a Debug tab, it will be removed on release
rare issue after grid update that socket still has previous power output/input (trying to replicate)

Parallel Power Grid (Parallel Conduits) by Supes is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

SpaceDorf

F**K YEAH !

MY PERSONAL HERO !!

Just like I imagened it myself. I will test the shit out of it.

===== EDIT =====

I am most curious about what the Energy Tab of Fluffies Colony Manager will do with this  ;D
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Supes

there are some issues I found with adding some switches to the grid, I'm investigating, so be sure to save your game before placing a switch

Edit: I've uploaded version 1.0b to the nexus link, it should fix the issue

Edit2: uploaded 1.0c, made changes to overlay, more checks on if an object/conduit has despawned.  So explosions shouldn't break it anymore.

frenchiveruti

Wow, I didn't know I needed this until I saw your post, it would be great to have a nice battery pack in a total different circuit.
Are they affected by the "zzzt..." event?
Also, will you consider adding ModSync Ninja to your mod?
greets! great concept!

Supes

batteries should still charge and be consumed even when connected by the parallel grid to other main grids, so existing batteries should still work, you would still need a socket connecting the batteries of course.

because the original powergrid is still there, zzzt events remain restricted to their own main power grids, I had thought about making changes to the zzzt event to travel through the parallel grid but decided against it so it wouldn't conflict with mods like RT Fuses.

I'll look into modsync ninja, and see what's involved

Supes

updated nexus link to 1.0d.
Fix for grid not updating on conduit deconstruction
switches with rare tickers should now affect the grid

I probably wont add ModSync while Parallel Conduits is WIP, but most likely I will once released.

frenchiveruti

Cool! Good to know.
What are you aiming to add for calling it a "release" state instead of "WIP"

Supes

not much else beyond testing and polishing up any quirks that arise.

Hoping to gather a little more feedback first, since it's only been two weeks since I announced it in unreleased.  If I don't discover or hear about any horrid bugs in another week or two, I'll make the transition along with a steam version.

SpaceDorf

I hope you could add some major QoL Mod, that has not been updated for B18 yet.

Deconstruct Coinduits. Order to just deconstruct Conduits instead of everything.

frenchiveruti

Quote from: SpaceDorf on December 12, 2017, 04:24:56 PM
I hope you could add some major QoL Mod, that has not been updated for B18 yet.

Deconstruct Coinduits. Order to just deconstruct Conduits instead of everything.
Well, to be fair, the "allow tool" mod just suffices this issue with his "select similar" tool, yeah, it's not that direct but it accomplishes the same objective. Select a conduit--> Select similar--> mouse over conduits-->X(Deconstruct)

Supes

Well, WireLord was kind enough to let me use his conduit deconstruction code, so you can deconstruct each layer of conduits separately now (except for normal conduits of course, which you can do which the Power Conduit Deconstruct mod itself).

1.0e
Added deconstruct tools for parallel conduits

SpaceDorf

Supes

I've created some batteries that only work on the parallel grid, but they don't cause zzzts, at least not yet.  they also don't appear to visually link up, but it is linked on the overlay.

I'm still using the default battery texture, but that will change at some point.

1.0f
Sockets can now be placed over exist conduits
improvements to the conduit Overlay
added parallel batteries

Canute

Quote from: Supes on December 11, 2017, 12:08:25 PM
I probably wont add ModSync while Parallel Conduits is WIP, but most likely I will once released.
Don't you think it would be more nessesary to add modsync now then once it is released and maybe don't get changed alot anymore ?
So tester can check it out faster if they use the latest version, and don't report some bug from an older version.

Supes

Quote from: Canute on December 24, 2017, 06:15:12 AM
Don't you think it would be more nessesary to add modsync now then once it is released and maybe don't get changed alot anymore ?
So tester can check it out faster if they use the latest version, and don't report some bug from an older version.

not really, considering you're looking at only one more version (if any) before release.