[A13] A2B: conveyor belts & co. [v0.13.2]

Started by A2Bcorp, February 21, 2015, 01:23:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nmid

awesome. A11!

Quick question, is there any way to limit the loading radius for the loaders?
I had to do a lot of mm with priorities to ensure my colonists didn't try loading the loader from the other extreme side of the map... or even from the end point to the starting point.

I don't want to do a horseshoe conveyor build as it turns out to be expensive in materials + space + power.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. StorymasterQ

That was asked for before and it can't be done.

It's a core haul job driver, it's no different than any stockpile or storage building.

There are plenty of mods to help with the materials and power issue.

As to space well, they are mobile storage delivering directly to work tables, they are as space efficient as it gets in that respect.  The difference is that instead of having huge stockpiles, you have conveyors which are stockpiles with their own haul jobs.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Powered By

nmid

I had asked before as well, but as I'm not a coder I guess the earlier response went over my head :p

I was hoping that A2BCorp could come up with some way of making it more .. usable (for me) :)

(also, I had a mental block in trying to understand what a core haul job driver was the 1st time around... now I'm just reading it as a non-coding term and it sorta makes sense :p)

Anyway, thanks for replying.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. StorymasterQ

Quote from: nmid on July 03, 2015, 01:44:36 AM
I had asked before as well, but as I'm not a coder I guess the earlier response went over my head :p

I was hoping that A2BCorp could come up with some way of making it more .. usable (for me) :)

(also, I had a mental block in trying to understand what a core haul job driver was the 1st time around... now I'm just reading it as a non-coding term and it sorta makes sense :p)

Anyway, thanks for replying.

No worries, "the squeaky wheel get's the grease."  Unfortunately, these aren't the people that can grease that wheel.  :)

For that, you need to put a request into the suggestion forums to Tynan about how the WorkGiver_Haul works.  Specifically, a request for a range limit, possibly attached to the storage settings like item filters and quality.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Powered By

Ninefinger

I am not 100% sure but it seems that everything is working for A11b except for the Belt texture.

Thorbane

How do the underground belts work?

Shouldn't this be working?

Mj64

I think the undertakers need to be right up to the wall, and you don't need the two coolers. One's usually enough.

@Thorbane:

Oops,  your setup is correct.  It's a power detection bug in the undertakers when in slide mode.  I've got this fixed at my end and will upload a fix soon.

Thanks for reporting it!

@Mj64:

Undertakes can be anywhere in a room (or outside) like any surface belt.  You require undercovers to go under tables, walls, etc.

Powered By

Goldsmyths

UndertakerMode image not loading and red texted the debug log.
Some red text from teleporter and selector.

And the thing that killed it for me. It froze in cold temperature (-50C outside).
Great idea though, much like bringing Rimworld and Factorio together.

A2Bcorp

v0.11.2:  Alpha 11b Update

This optimizes and addresses issues with the underground components, including fixing the slide power issue.

Also adds French translation by kaptain-kavern.

Vas

I believe that there should be underground belts that turn, or that it should just detect the entire underground network as one single network.  I wanted to place an underground conveyor from my out of base trade beacon where traders drop off goods outside my shields and the underground belts take the supplies to my base and spit them out for my logistic droids to sort and stash way.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Quote from: rsof69can you make an under ground curve and selector too
Quote from: VasI believe that there should be underground belts that turn, or that it should just detect the entire underground network as one single network.  I wanted to place an underground conveyor from my out of base trade beacon where traders drop off goods outside my shields and the underground belts take the supplies to my base and spit them out for my logistic droids to sort and stash way.
Quote from: noone
No.

Okay, that's a bit harsh :) It is a fair suggestion, but my answer is no, not in the main mod (unless the other A2Bcorp members manage to convince me otherwise). If someone wants to code this as an add-on, then sure, why not. This is what add-ons are for.

But I personally still aim at keeping the main mod as small as possible. Underground belts are useful as they are and already fully serve their purpose: to allow your colonists to cross the belts, etc ... adding underground curves and selectors only expands the amount of choice (and clutter), but doesn't add any new functionality. And so far, I have always been very reluctant top add anything redundant ...

Long story short, the A2B corporation will welcome with open arms any code suggestions for implementing underground curves and selectors as an add-on. But I won't code this myself ... ;) I can't speak for the other A2Bcorp member of course ...

Corning in underground belts could be possible with some small changes to the code.  The code which detects which lift powers an undercover belt would become more complex and potentially introduce lag though.

If it was implemented, I see it as this:

No new components are added, undercovers would redirect to either "left" or "right" (relative to flow of items on the belt) depending on the connection.  The problem and therefore limit is that you would only be able to have simple corners (no "T" junctions AKA merging or splitting) as the belt wouldn't know which direction to send it.

The reason for this is how the cross-over aspect works.  The undercovers do not have predetermined direction input and output directions ("flow"), it's dependant on the belt which transfers the item to it to also encode the flow.  This allows the cross-over connections to properly send items straight across.  Introducing cornering is simple enough as there would only be one "alternate" and when outputting it would update the encoded item flow.  A "T" junction would cause problems as it wouldn't know which way to send it since the, as stated above, undercover belts are inherently directionless.

As to adding new components such as mergers, selectors, etc, this would clutter the architects tab and as noone pointed out, the idea is to maintain a simple core mod and use add-ons to add additional functionality.  The other problem is, it becomes that much harder to maintain your conveyor network when you can't see what orientation your belts are when they are under everything.

That being said, I have given thought as to being able to remove the cover from underground components to allow colonists to retrieve items from them when they go offline.  This would be a gizmo button on the undercover components to "Remove" and "Replace" the "access panel."  Removing the access panel would impose a heavy pathing cost for pawns (like the surface belts 1000) and would only be available if nothing was on it (ie, can't remove the panel under a wall or work table).

So, tl;dr, cornering is a possibility, anything beyond is not really practical.