Quote from: carbon on June 02, 2016, 02:50:17 PM

<------ FLY MY PRETTIES!! FLY!!!! ---
Quote from: Shinzy on June 02, 2016, 02:13:34 PM
Quote from: Flying Rockbass on June 02, 2016, 12:26:26 PM
Quote from: Skissor on June 02, 2016, 12:06:05 PM
Quote from: carbon on May 26, 2016, 06:45:07 PM
*clears throat*

[ rant ]
I'll never understand why there are so many forum users who feel compelled to overuse the quote function.

The worst offenders are those who quote page-long posts only to say the equivalent of "+1".
A close second are those who quote the post directly above their own, as though we needed to read it twice in a row.

There's probably a special place in forum hell for those who do both simultaneously.

Quoting should be used to clarify the specific person, post and statement to which you're replying.
Using it in cases where this is already obvious is redundant.
Likewise, the quote should only include the most relevant portion of the post.

Please think before you quote.
[ /rant ]

Disclaimer: The above is not aimed at any particular person or even a particular forum/website. I really just wanted to vent about forum etiquette (or lack thereof) as a whole. Feel free to ignore me.

Damn finally someone said it! Yeah I agree and honestly it sometimes fills up the entire screen.

Quote from: Shinzy on May 30, 2016, 01:38:08 PM
Quote from: Flying Rockbass on May 30, 2016, 10:21:36 AM
Quote from: Shinzy on May 30, 2016, 08:53:28 AM
Quote from: milon on May 27, 2016, 11:25:47 AM
Quote from: RazorHed on May 26, 2016, 10:03:07 PM
I agree Carbon.

I agree too.  And my personal pet peeve is when someone puts their reply inside a quote box.  That doesn't happen by accident, does it?  And why on earth would you do that intentionally? [ /rant ]

^ And that's my pet peeve.

It does happen accidentally, Millie
Sometimes when you quote someone the text starts to write inside the quote box
and after you post the thing you're kicked on the subforum the thread was in so you don't even see your post if you don't go back in the thread again to proof read it

it's happened to me a dozen of times but I've almost always fixed it =P

This is for you guyses pets

My peeve is that even when you quote a gigantic post, you don't have the "Spoilers" button to hide what's being quoted.
+1

Please guys, stop doing this.

Yeah, it is not funny anymore

You're not wrong Rockbass

Indeed, this shouldn't continue.

I couldn't agree more.

Being serious, I lack the knowladge of how the forum works, but the features listed here as well as a better search engine, would be a needed improvment for the forum. Are this things too time consuming or expensive?

milon

Search engine is an easy fix.
1. Go to Google
2. Type site:ludeon.com search terms
3. ???
4. Profit!

carbon

So I messed around a bit and came up with a string that will ruin the fun anyone trying to quote while lazy. I'm not sure If I'd actively use it, but it's an intriguing idea. 

You can put this text at the beginning of any of your normal posts:
[size=1pt][/quote][color=red][b]I'm lazy at quoting![/b][/color]
[/size]

In it's original form looks like looks like:

[/quote]I'm lazy at quoting!

Hello World!
Example main text.

But when quoted looks like:

I'm lazy at quoting!
[/size]
Hello World!
Example main text.[/quote]

Coenmcj

Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Shinzy

Quote from: carbon on June 23, 2016, 11:18:02 PM
So I messed around a bit and came up with a string that will ruin the fun anyone trying to quote while lazy. I'm not sure If I'd actively use it, but it's an intriguing idea. 

[/size]

I'm lazy at quoting!
[/size]
Hello World!
Example main text.

I'm lazy at quoting!
[/size]
Hello World!
Example main text.[/quote]
[/quote]
Quote from: Coenmcj on June 23, 2016, 11:38:24 PM
That is beautifully evil.

OH my! it is!

Listen1

Quote from: Shinzy on June 24, 2016, 05:05:57 AM
Quote from: carbon on June 23, 2016, 11:18:02 PM

[/size]

I'm lazy at quoting!
[/size]
Hello World!
Example main text.

I'm lazy at quoting!
[/size]
Hello World!
Example main text.
[/quote]
Quote from: Coenmcj on June 23, 2016, 11:38:24 PM
That is beautifully evil.

OH my! it is!
[/quote]

I didn't understand

milon

I'll explain and assume you're not just trollling me.  ;)

[/quote]I'm a lazy quoter!!

Carbon found you can stick a really tiny piece of text in your post that most people won't notice.  If anyone does a lazy quote, it will show up full-size (the /quote tag breaks the quote block) and alert everyone to the fact of their lazy quoting.  But you have to put it in every (likely to be quoted) post.  Try quoting this post to see another working example.

Shinzy

Quote from: milon on June 24, 2016, 10:38:43 AM

I'm a lazy quoter!![/size]

Carbon found you can stick a really tiny piece of text in your post that most people won't notice.  If anyone does a lazy quote, it will show up full-size (the /quote tag breaks the quote block) and alert everyone to the fact of their lazy quoting.  But you have to put it in every (likely to be quoted) post.  Try quoting this post to see another working example.
[/quote]

No don't quote Millie! he's just trying to lure you into making a redundant quote

milon

Quote from: Shinzy on June 24, 2016, 01:50:50 PM

No don't quote Millie! he's just trying to lure you into making a redundant quote
[/quote]

What?? Oh no!

Listen1

Quote from: milon on June 24, 2016, 04:19:37 PM

What?? Oh no!
[/quote]
[/quote]I love backstreet boys... Alright!

Aaah, I see.

Really, thanks, I didn't undertood the effect of this prank.

billycop32

Quote from: Flying Rockbass on June 25, 2016, 07:34:08 AM
Quote from: milon on June 24, 2016, 04:19:37 PM

What?? Oh no!
[/quote]I love backstreet boys... Alright!

Aaah, I see.

Really, thanks, I didn't undertood the effect of this prank.
[/quote]
oh no! we would't want anyone falling for that old trick now huh!

Miner_239

I think you can add more [/quote] to break more nested quotes.

Alenerel

Cant the forum automatically limit the number of child quotes to 1? So if you quote a quote inside a quote, the last one wont be shown.

There are other forums where this is implemented.

Another solution is to show a small summary of the quote, or nothing at all, but an hyperlink where if you hover the mouse or click on it, it will pop up a small window with the quoted text.

Coenmcj

They already do hyperlink, the gold "Quote from: blah on blah-blah-blah, blah:blah:blah" links directly to the quote.
All the Quoter has to do is delete everything inbetween the two tags to make everyone's day easier, sure not ideal, but it does the job.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

RJ

I didn't read the whole topic so I'm not sure if it was mentioned already:

SMF (the forum software this website uses) has a setting to remove all of those quotes inside of quotes called "Remove nested quotes when quoting" under Admin > Features & Options > Forum > Posts and Topics > Post Settings.

edit: This setting can only be changed by an Administrator.