Mushrooms, Mycoprotein and Vegetarianism

Started by Geokinesis, September 17, 2014, 05:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geokinesis

Three ideas that tie into each other.

Firstly Mushrooms as a crop. It only grows at night and in dark areas, so you'd be able to find it in natural caves around the map or grow it in hydroponics tables. It acts like potatoes though may be slower growing.

Secondly Mycoprotein which is just protein derived from fungus and what all the quorn/vegetarian meat is made from. For mycoprotein to be made a you'd need mushrooms and a fermentation vat (which you would have to research). Add mushrooms to the the vat and after a while it'd produce through a nozzle some shaped mycoprotein chunks. These chunks would act as meat for the purposes of cooking.

Thirdly Vegetarianism as a trait. The trait means colonists won't eat meals containing meat but get a mood boost from eating prepared meals without meat. To start this means that Vegetarians wouldn't be able to eat anything above a simple meal although they wouldn't be as unhappy due to it being meat-free.

So to tie it all together Vegetarian colonist would require the colony keeps making a few simple meals rather than just cook the highest meal forever. Then after a bit of research you build a fermentation vat and grow some mushrooms and you can start producing fine/lavish meals that vegetarians eat and get even more of a mood boost.

The Mycoprotein would also help in colonies to supplement normal meat production during times of siege or in biomes with little wildlife.

BetaSpectre

Full Support.

There's a mod that adds shrooms, but not mycoprotein.

Also some players have expressed a want for the Vegan Trait.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Angie

Support! Veggie IRL, and the more crops- wild & cultivatible, the better.

Johnny Masters

I Support, except there shouldn't be a bonus for being veggie. Instead, meal types should require  2-3 ingredients for fine and 3-4 for lavish instead of requiring meat.

I can have a lavish meal without meat and being veggie doesn't give you powers.

keylocke

Quote from: Anarak on September 17, 2014, 07:00:21 PM

BetaSpectre

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Zsword

Interesting Idea, I"d think it'd be great for those Desert fortresses where Scarabs and Iguana's don't really provide a lot of meat leverage for a colony to really make higher quality meals.

Involved

I've been hoping for a vegetarian trait because it would add depth from a character/story-driven viewpoint. How this should affect the character though I'm not sure. I think with the current system of cooking and growing being so basic and without technological progression, even a negative mood penalty for eating meat makes little sense at this time, after all why would a vegetarian colonist ever eat meat? There are potatoes, strawberries etc instantly available to grow, despite no seeds or whatever needing to be found, bought or researched. The genetically engineered potatoes, for instance, should only be available to grow after having been researched. If having crashed landed there are only animals on the terrain, like in the desert or future ice regions, and hunting is the only available source of food early game, then vegetarianism makes more sense from a gameplay perspective.

Incidentally, from having different aspects of food production researchable/acquired, more immersive gameplay choices would open up based on colonists traits and environment, which of course is variable, leading to every new game proving new challenges and opportunities. To go for food production research because there is little meat on this map, no farmable land, all my starting colonists are veggie or to go for defense tech because I feel an attack incoming and my colonists this time are psychically sensitive assassin cannibals?

Just some thoughts for us to ponder. Oh, and I am a veggie!
Thank you Tynan for creating a game of my dreams. Let's all help make Rimworld the best it can be!

Angie

And, trees that produce nuts/fruit would add to the bounty, for all.

Geokinesis

Quote from: Involved on September 18, 2014, 07:16:41 AM
I've been hoping for a vegetarian trait because it would add depth from a character/story-driven viewpoint. How this should affect the character though I'm not sure. I think with the current system of cooking and growing being so basic and without technological progression, even a negative mood penalty for eating meat makes little sense at this time, after all why would a vegetarian colonist ever eat meat? There are potatoes, strawberries etc instantly available to grow, despite no seeds or whatever needing to be found, bought or researched. The genetically engineered potatoes, for instance, should only be available to grow after having been researched. If having crashed landed there are only animals on the terrain, like in the desert or future ice regions, and hunting is the only available source of food early game, then vegetarianism makes more sense from a gameplay perspective.

Incidentally, from having different aspects of food production researchable/acquired, more immersive gameplay choices would open up based on colonists traits and environment, which of course is variable, leading to every new game proving new challenges and opportunities. To go for food production research because there is little meat on this map, no farmable land, all my starting colonists are veggie or to go for defense tech because I feel an attack incoming and my colonists this time are psychically sensitive assassin cannibals?

Just some thoughts for us to ponder. Oh, and I am a veggie!

I guess for a vegetarian trait you could have it so they got a malus for seeing corpses of animals or killing/butchering them. ("My only hunter is a vegetarian, so they have to hunt!")

JimmyAgnt007

I on the other hand edit my save games to give everyone the cannibal trait...

Johnny Masters

Quote from: keylocke on September 17, 2014, 11:04:05 PM
Quote from: Anarak on September 17, 2014, 07:00:21 PM

Quote from: BetaSpectre on September 17, 2014, 11:26:49 PM
Way of the Fruit

As i typed i was thinking of exactly those two examples  ;D ;D

Granted, you'd need vegan academy endorsement to draw psychic powers and radioactive fruits + perk to benefit from fruits, and thats only fruits.

Geokinesis

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on September 18, 2014, 11:25:56 AM
I on the other hand edit my save games to give everyone the cannibal trait...

Have a cannibal vegetarian, they won't eat muffalo but human is fair game!  :D

ToXeye

The animals in this game become crazy, instead of just being ordinary beasts that have different behaviour they become influenced and flip out. It's a bit weird. But I think that animals that graze should become meat eaters when they become crazy, so that settlers become all like "saw animal eat colonist"
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\

Wex

It would be a nuisance.
"Oh, I have to micromanage a trait so that colonist won't eat what others have no problem eating!", i guess the 3 operations are in order.
Then free meat and hats for everyone.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison