Any advice about travel try Tundra, ice sheets and sea ice?

Started by Mutineer, November 10, 2017, 12:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mutineer

I just finished play try by sending all my 33 tribals into space and started a new one with the idea to travel to ship. Problem is, game in all it's wisdom put ships in sea ice on the north pole.

After year one I was forced to migrate from the original base because toxic fallout kills all trees and grass in autumn so I was forced to move at spring using last food. Got myself to the border of temperature forest. So, how to get to the north pole, the boreal forest is very small and then a huge tundra to travel then big ice sheets and the same amount of sea ice. Any advice how to handle that?

As I can see it I can travel try tundra with my animals in summer because they can graze and I probably will need to settle on the edge of the tundra. What technological level I need to do that and what resources I need when I settle? I do not believe the tribal level of technology can survive tundra with no growing period? In addition, i probably will not be able to feed on land as animals can graze only in summer and probably eat all remaining grass very fast. In addition, I do not know how many animals are in Tundra, to feed my currently 8 strong colonies.

So, I am looking for opinion and advice from some one who donme that?

Canute

As tribe you should plan at last a long break before you enter the Ice sheet and try to do it at the spring when the movement costs are lower.
You can see how long the remaining trip will be and you should have stocked up enough food for that.

As spacer, you better set at transport pod and hydroponics. You allways can grow food with hydroponics even at winter or icesheets.
And at last you can jump over the Sea ice without any resources with the pods straight to the Ship AI.

Wanderer_joins

I did it with tribal tech. I think you're playing A17 because in A18 i couldn't find a landed ship on sea ice.

I considered taking a break on tundra but you've a very short window of opportunity during the grazing period, so you can end up being stuck in fall in tundra which is a disaster.

I finally went for the direct route, in most world (30%) you can go to the North Pole within 60 days from almost any place. You just have to be carefull with the grazing period. Depending on your starting position the best time to leave can be mid winter (arid shrublands) to mid spring (boreal forest).

You basically need pemmican: 1.6*20 per day per colonist

Muffalos for sea ice, they'll graze until tundra, then 1.36*20 hay per day (hay is light, easy to produce, and can be transformed into kibble if need be with muffalo meat)

Add some kibble for a margin of safety

For defense take psychic lances, rocket launchers

For the cold temperature on sea ice don't forget warm cloths, some wood

Here is my A17 tribal journey with 18 colonists: https://imgur.com/a/3ZnO4