Caravan and base management when being raided

Started by Chim66, September 27, 2017, 04:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chim66

Hello,
I am new to Rimworld and tried my first caravan to gather materials from an event. When I arrived there and started to fight the bandits there, my base was also attacked.

I am unable to handle both situations in parallel. There are to many events to control. I could play at the caravan site or at my home base, but I get defeated when both sites need my full attention.

What are your experiences and tips?

Best regards
Chim

Canute

Whats why i like Rimworld, you have the pause function, unlike other RTS (RTS without pause at solomode i call action not strategy ).

But you shouldn't leave your base that much underpowered. Don't forget most of the stuff at your base count as wealth and this increase the raid strengh.
This mean you should just send so many pawn to an event you can spare.
Most attack you can do with snipers and less pawns.

Vlad0mi3r

+1 For what Canute said. It is one of the trying times in game. One of the things that really adds challenge to the game.
Pause frequently and you have to trust your strategies for defence. Build a killbox at home, build turrets, Sapper traps and dead fall corridors and don't build under a mountain. All of these things will mean you can focus on the more risky fight being your caravan.

On wealth verses raid strength your caravan crew will come off your colony wealth once they leave the map. So don't hesitate to give the caravan crew the best gear and load up those stupid miniguns to sell off for pemmican. As well as anything that is small, light and expensive (Drugs take shit loads of drugs to sell smokeleaf and Yayo) this will reduce your colony wealth. Which in turn will make those incoming raids at home easier to manage.   
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

asanbr

use the comms console and call in friendlies to help you fight off raids