Alpha Seven

Started by The Outsider, August 26, 2014, 09:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShootyFace

No doubt, muffins, I'd have 'shelved' it by now if it weren't for all the updates. Each one has been significant, too. This next one looks to be the best, and the changelog is making me think 7 is very close.
"Oh boy, I can finally have my colonists paint the outer wall with Raider blood and hang a sign by the main door that says: "Looking for Donations"
I'm sure that'll make the Raiders feel welcome. :3" ~TheXIIILightning

Ruin

A new release date theory:  The last time we had 11 consecutive entries in the change log for "Bugfixes" we got Alpha 6.  We just hit 11 today.  :P

kingtyris

Seems like it will be soon. The changelog is showing less new content and more bugfixes and balancing.

Damien Hart

Alpha seven? No no, the next update will be 1.0, development will cease, and Tynan will release the source code so the community can keep up development...

Too soon?  :P

If you have no idea what I'm talking about: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/09/18/double-fine-early-access-spacebase-df9/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rockpapershotgun%2Fsteam+%28Rock%2C+Paper%2C+Shotgun%3A+Steam+RSS%29

touffe

I'm still butthurt about this one, don't say that !

keylocke

Quote from: Damien Hart on September 19, 2014, 10:05:19 AM
Alpha seven? No no, the next update will be 1.0, development will cease, and Tynan will release the source code so the community can keep up development...

Too soon?  :P

If you have no idea what I'm talking about: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/09/18/double-fine-early-access-spacebase-df9/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rockpapershotgun%2Fsteam+%28Rock%2C+Paper%2C+Shotgun%3A+Steam+RSS%29

i think that went belly-up 'coz they didn't listen much to the community? i dunno..

many people were complaining how derelicts and remnants of docked pirate ships can usually end things up in a clutter. (at least from what i recall, i kinda lost interest in that game quite a while ago)

it no longer felt like a "base-building" game. it's more like a "randomly generated dungeon crawler"
'coz of all the labyrinthian mess that gets accumulated in time that takes too much hassle to disassemble..

which is so much different from what people expect it to be..

Matthiasagreen

back on track to the topic....is it possible that instead of asking for testers this time around, he just used the people from last time and it is secretly already happening?
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Geokinesis

Quote from: Tynan on September 19, 2014, 11:57:09 AM
So far, yes.

Yeah I thought so as it looked like there were a lot of playtesting bugs resolved on the bugtracker!

Mystic

Quote from: Geokinesis on September 19, 2014, 12:08:17 PM
So far, yes.

Yeah I thought so as it looked like there were a lot of playtesting bugs resolved on the bugtracker!

Nice!  So I wonder if this might put next week back into the realm of possibility for an A7 release?  Well, it happens when it happens, but I can still hope!

userfredle

So far, yes.

Tynan you know what the good wholesome sexy thing to do is, tell us the release date estimate

ApexPredator

Quote from: userfredle on September 20, 2014, 09:55:27 PM
So far, yes.

Tynan you know what the good wholesome sexy thing to do is, tell us the release date estimate

I disagree with this, if he gives you the date it will only make it harder for you. Then what if it doesn't make it by the date, now you will be angry and form a small local group with pitchforks and torches and hike to Canada burning down all Canadian looking buildings on the way...

Jaxxa

Quote from: ApexPredator on September 20, 2014, 10:19:20 PM
Quote from: userfredle on September 20, 2014, 09:55:27 PM
So far, yes.
I disagree with this, if he gives you the date it will only make it harder for you. Then what if it doesn't make it by the date, now you will be angry and form a small local group with pitchforks and torches and hike to Canada burning down all Canadian looking buildings on the way...
I have to agree with your disagreement.
Much better to not give a date until it is absolute and in this case by then it is just released.

We know it is coming soon because they have started testing, when it is released will depend on how many bugs are found in testing and how quick they can be fixed, something that cant be known yet.

Tynan

Yes, my general policy is that I don't give out guesses as to when the game might be released (or what it might eventually contain). Because that's all they are - guesses. Why risk the drama and heartbreak? There's just so little upside; I really don't know why so many indies insist on guessing release dates and features.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

keylocke

as long as devs continue to add new features that increases the gameplay's base value, development can remain in alpha almost indefinitely (i don't think people will begrudge them for that)

i think tynan could've stopped development after adding the "escape to space by building a ship" feature.. but instead of calling it quits, he added more and more interesting and enjoyable features, and people lurve him for it..  ;D

honestly, i almost lost interest back in alpha 4 (didn't even play alpha 5).. but alpha 6 brought me back, and after playtesting alpha 7, i'm totally hyped up all over again.. lol.

this game is definitely building up a huge amount of momentum.. can't see the train stopping for anything, anytime soon.