Why won't my doctors heal any without me stepping in?

Started by Moxi, November 25, 2016, 07:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alenerel

Quote from: Spdskatr on November 26, 2016, 01:44:39 AM
When I don't have people doing what I want them to do(in this case, treat patients) I would create a new area (under orders -> expand allowed area -> manage areas) and then select the hospital room. Then restrict your doctors to that area under the Assign tab. Just remember to make a tiny food stockpile in the hospital so the doctor doesn't starve :P (Alternatively select the freezer room as well so the doctors can feed themselves and also feed the patients)

That works when you can spare people to do that, like having 20 pawns. If you have 3-8 pawns you cant just do that. If you have more than 8 pawns you can start freeing the doctor from other duties and focusing on simple things.

Spdskatr

Quote from: Alenerel on November 26, 2016, 02:10:59 AM
Quote from: Spdskatr on November 26, 2016, 01:44:39 AM
When I don't have people doing what I want them to do(in this case, treat patients) I would create a new area (under orders -> expand allowed area -> manage areas) and then select the hospital room. Then restrict your doctors to that area under the Assign tab. Just remember to make a tiny food stockpile in the hospital so the doctor doesn't starve :P (Alternatively select the freezer room as well so the doctors can feed themselves and also feed the patients)

That works when you can spare people to do that, like having 20 pawns. If you have 3-8 pawns you cant just do that. If you have more than 8 pawns you can start freeing the doctor from other duties and focusing on simple things.
I think you misunderstood, my bad :P

The area is only TEMPORARY. Only assign a doctor to the area if there are a ton of pawns waiting to be treated, or if your colony is filthy rich. In normal circumstances don't restrict your doctor like that for no reason, that would be a waste.
My mods

If 666 is evil, does that make 25.8069758011 the root of all evil?

Canute

A waste, not nessesary and dangerous.
It can happen that your doctor get exhaused/hunger and collapse when you restrict him to the hospital and forget him.

Like other allready said, Doctoring is very high at the priority work.
When the doc's didn't start to treat patience soon, then there is something wrong.
If you want that a doc treat a patience immediately after it got put to a hospital bed, then you await to much. Even with a mod that adjust the work priorities, a doc will finish the current workcycle.

Alenerel

Well I thought you meant what I said cause the youtuber skyestorme had a ton of pawns and he had a couple of doctors dedicated only to the area of the hospital, with their own food and bedrooms and everything.

About what you said, well, it makes sense. I do something similar to micromanage my builder... The thing is that I dont like this kind of micromanaging. Its very complex to do simple things..

Why cant I just tell my builder to priorize a zone without having to create that zone.... Or at least having to go to architect > areas > expand area then maybe > remove area then > restrict > area 1, then unrestrict... so much micro...I would like to be able to click on my builder, right click on priorize area, then I drag the area that I want done. Thats it, no more.
About the doctor, it just should priorize healing above all. If an injured guy is going to the bed, the doctor should either go there and wait for him, or if the guy is slower than 100%, the doctor should go and help him to go to the bed. Idc if he has to wake up, stop eating or stop wanking.

Canute

Yeah that would be a nice add. for the builders, but currently you only can priority to 1 building object.
It would be nice if the builder would take the whole wall project instread just one wall brick but it don't be currently.

You should take a look at mod's
There is one which change the work priorities, let doctors treat patients faster, build roof before walls and such things.
Another mod "hand me the brick" let hauler deliver resources to your construction, at this way the builder mosttimes just need to build.

Spdskatr

Quote from: Canute on November 26, 2016, 06:53:48 AM
A waste, not nessesary and dangerous.
It can happen that your doctor get exhaused/hunger and collapse when you restrict him to the hospital and forget him.

Like other allready said, Doctoring is very high at the priority work.
When the doc's didn't start to treat patience soon, then there is something wrong.
If you want that a doc treat a patience immediately after it got put to a hospital bed, then you await to much. Even with a mod that adjust the work priorities, a doc will finish the current workcycle.
There's a solution to that.

Select the doctor's bed as well!
For food: select the freezer, like I said before.
Also if you don't want to do that then draft/undraft the doctor and make other priorities lower, but the doctor will still go to sleep over tasks like that.

alsowhatswrongwithdoctorscollapsingallmypawnsaretreatedlikethat
My mods

Moxi

Just wanted to let you know, I haven't found a solution. It's been a tiny tiny tiny better by just letting them only do doctoring and have a night owl, that way they overlap and with abit luck, they actually do their job.

Spdskatr

I have a question: How many doctors do you have in relation to the number of colonists you have in total? To set the bottom line, there must be at least 1 doctor for every 4 colonists for them to do their job, but I normally assign 1 for every 3. Also one rule: only let your best doctor do surgeries(requires micromamagement ;)).
My mods

Alenerel

Ideally you should have 2 doctors in the day shift and 2 in the night shift so they can attend asap. Less ideally, 2 doctors, one in each shift, if you work with shifts.

If you dont, then the minimum is 2 doctors, its always 2, so they can save each other's butt.