Sun lamp Timer

Started by Skryabin, April 25, 2016, 11:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skryabin

Timers option on Sun Lamps would be nice to have. If plants are resting from 7pm to 5am, why waist electricity? And trying to do it manually every day gets a bit annoying ???

Maybe after some research?..

Skryabin

And actually on regular lamps too. Colonists should at least turn the light off in their bedrooms when they go to sleep  >:(   

Vaporisor

I would think maybe a researched power switch.  click it and set it like you set the work schedule.  It would mean ensuring two power feeds to any hydroponics area to ensure you don't shut off all your food
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

hwfanatic

There are some mods that do this (e.g. PowerSwitch) but frankly it would be nice to be included in the game itself. That is the primary purpose of the sun lamp, after all.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2890.0

RemingtonRyder

When A13 Power Switch arrived, this is exactly what I used it for - to turn sun lamps on and off at specific times. But the feature to turn things on when a pawn is in the room is nice too. :)

Vaporisor

Quote from: MarvinKosh on April 26, 2016, 01:46:24 PM
When A13 Power Switch arrived, this is exactly what I used it for - to turn sun lamps on and off at specific times. But the feature to turn things on when a pawn is in the room is nice too. :)

I had originally planned for doing that on a nightly schedule, but it got too micromanage tedious.  I still love switches though, specially for hydroponics.  Make use of a backup battery room that switch connects on it's own power circuits to key power systems.  Flick a couple switches and I don't lose that vital crop.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

thestalkinghead

anybody that uses real hydroponics or grow lamps in real life uses timers to control them so it should logically be in the game, also since the lamps are effectively useless and just a power drain at night having them built in (or maybe an upgraded research) would be good, micro managing that would just be annoying.

skullywag

sunlamps on solars, done.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Mathenaut

That's quite a few solars per lamp

b0rsuk

And actually make it a device which can be connected to any objects, for example give this feature to Switch. Or add a feature - when a pawn goes resting, it turns off all electric objects in his room.

In meantime, you can use solar panels in a separate circuit to power sun lamps. Store excess power in a battery. Uninstall it when it's full.

skullywag

Quote from: Mathenaut on April 28, 2016, 03:26:04 AM
That's quite a few solars per lamp

wat? its 1. A solar panel creates 1700 and sunlamp uses 1600.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

hwfanatic

But not if you are playing near the poles it doesn't. Good luck trying to figure out exactly how many panels you need per sun lamp without being more wasteful than just plugging them directly into your grid. And also, good luck making a separate circuit in a 2D environment. It requires more planning than you may think.