Wierd heat problem

Started by BigG, October 23, 2016, 07:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigG

So this is my first winter map and I decided to expand the sleeping quarters and build an extension, exactly the same as the first. I noticed that the new quarters were a lot easier to heat than the first and started paying attention to the room temperatures. Originally the wall between the two quarters was a double wall and I read somewhere that the game could read read an external double wall as an outside wall so I demolished one side, to see if it would equalise the differences ..... it didn't!

So, I'm scanning the rooms, trying to see some difference and I noticed one room is always warmer than the others and even warmer than the 'heating corridor'. I just don't understand what's happening here, so atm I'm thinking it's a bug. Maybe I'll just remove the bed and install some stools and call it the sauna!

Has anyone any ideas what's going on here?

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Marvin the Martian

Wow. Call Mr. Maxwell. His demon finally showed up. ;)

On a more serious note: maybe the heat flow through walls adds up and doesn't obey thermodynamics, when the amount of heat is calculated that moves through the wall. *shrugs*

carbon

Demolishing walls/doors between rooms can lead to weird temperature fluctuations, but that should only last an hour or two (gametime). So if it is persistent, it can't be that.

There's a known bug where tiles in a ring around a door display 'indoors' and the same temperature as the door no matter what. It could be that is misleading some of your temperature readings. Make sure all of those readings are from tiles not directly adjacent to a door.

I could be wrong, but it looks like you have at least one mod active, that can always cause weird issues, but I don't know anything specific.

Does the problem persist after a save and reload? If so, you might post something over in the bug thread and provide a save file of it.

Serenity

One square with a heater going into a vent is also bugged I think. Though some of the heat will probably leak through the door.

Canute

Yep, the 26 degrees at the one room is realy curious. Maybe the owner got a hot dream.
1. Try to open all the doors. Open doors act like a vent. Closed doors just like walls.
2. Why you dont remove the vent and door from the heater. At this way the heater heat the hallway and not a little room.
3. Yes double and/or tripple walls you just need for your outside walls, maybe for your walkable freezer.

Mosttimes i do similar sleeping rooms and don't got such temp. difference.

Zhentar

The reason why it behaves that way is that in the code, vents don't constantly transfer small amounts of heat; they occasionally transfer large amounts of heat, one at a time (in a consistent order). The hottest room has a vent that always takes heat out of the hallway immediately after the heater vent heated up the hallway, heating up that room the most; then the hallway is colder for the next vent, which then takes a bit more heat out of the hallway, and so on, until the very last room is left with a cold hallway. Then the hallway gets heated back up, and it goes through the whole round again.

Shurp

And that behavior probably has something to do with the one-square heater/cooler/vent bug, which the OP is taking advantage of all over.  Note his food freezer in the lower left corner with one tile and a vent in front of the cooler.  His rec room has the same thing going on.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

BigG

Yep, it seems to do with the one square heating room. I deconstructed the vents off that one square room and everything seems to have stabilised.

I did try running the game without any changes for a season, to see if it would clear itself but it didn't, that room stayed constantly warmer than it's surrounding rooms.

I hope that using the one celled rooms isn't considered cheating - my colonists are in for a cold winter next year, unless I can uncover a nuclear reactor somewhere! :) I'm pretty new to the game and saw someone else using that tactic and thought it was a cool trick. However, on reflection, it doesn't seem right and probably an abuse of game mechanics. Poor colonists, time to wrap up!

Thanks everyone for their input.

Shurp

I see you have plenty of steel and components.  You could just build a pile of windmills and solar panels.  (You can put solar panels in front of and behind windmills without causing any problems.  Only tall things like trees and walls block wind)

Also, don't forget to knit tuques for your colonists' heads.  That's a bonus 10'C on top of the parkas.  With shirt and pants you should be able to handle -40'.  Unless you're on a really cold ice sheet that should do it.

(BTW, I find it simpler to park a heater in every bedroom than try to keep the whole sleeping quarters area warm.  But then I tend to waste steel and components :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.