Change date

Started by eddd_w, April 01, 2014, 03:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddd_w

Hi. Does anyone know how to change the day number on a savegame file? Or other?

Baron

It's called playing the game =)

eddd_w

Quote from: Baron on April 01, 2014, 06:14:54 PM
It's called playing the game =)

Oh, so you found a way to play the game in reverse? Care to share?

Monkfish

With a save file. The game doesn't save every event that happened so that it can be rewound video style (or skipped to a specific point) after the fact, the memory and processing requirements would be silly. Instead, the save games are just a snapshot of what was going on at the point of the save and they don't store any more information than that. The only way to save progress that you can 'reverse' to is regularly save and create a history of snapshots as time progressed.
<insert witty signature here>

eddd_w

Quote from: Monkfish on April 01, 2014, 07:38:24 PM
With a save file. The game doesn't save every event that happened so that it can be rewound video style (or skipped to a specific point) after the fact, the memory and processing requirements would be silly. Instead, the save games are just a snapshot of what was going on at the point of the save and they don't store any more information than that. The only way to save progress that you can 'reverse' to is regularly save and create a history of snapshots as time progressed.

Ok, lets see if I can make myself clear(er): I've been changing the game storyteller from Phoebe to Callie (easy) so that I can build a base (Phoebe), study some defense strategies and then back to Callie and wait for those raiders. So far so good. Escept that last time they showed up (maybe 50 or more) it was more than 200 game days ago, so my game planning went to the drain, and I was trying to change the game time since it may be linked to "raider waves" or the amount of raiders that show up (don't know if there's a limit here). So that's why I want to change back time.
And by the way, I know how savegames work. 30 years ago I started saving games in cassette players. :)

Thunder Rahja

Theoretically, you can go back in time by opening your .rim save file with notepad/wordpad and changing the <TickCount> value to something lower. There are 20000 ticks in a day, I believe.

Also the reason you might not be seeing any more raiders is if your entity count is too high. Too many animals, filled graves, poverty grass, etc. Just things I've heard around here.

ItchyFlea

You need to change <tickCount> in <tickManager> as well as <lastWeatherStartTick>, <lastThreatQueueTime> and <lastPopGainTime> in <storyteller>.
Also don't forget to change the <incidentMaker Class= when changing the storyteller AI. Changing the <def> tag alone does not change what storyteller AI the game is using.

This thread I wrote goes into detail about extensively modifying saved games. It's out of date, but may still be of help: TUTORIAL - Creating Custom Scenarios
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

eddd_w

Quote from: ItchyFlea on April 02, 2014, 09:49:29 AM
You need to change <tickCount> in <tickManager> as well as <lastWeatherStartTick>, <lastThreatQueueTime> and <lastPopGainTime> in <storyteller>.
Also don't forget to change the <incidentMaker Class= when changing the storyteller AI. Changing the <def> tag alone does not change what storyteller AI the game is using.

This thread I wrote goes into detail about extensively modifying saved games. It's out of date, but may still be of help: TUTORIAL - Creating Custom Scenarios

Thanks for your help, but it seems that although I managed to change the date, the issue still continues: raiders do not appear anymore. So now I have a fortress ready for high raider numbers... For nothing. :(

Darker

This might be tricky, but I suggest trying to copy all things and terrain into a new game.
Please... Throw human readable errors on savefile parsing failure!!!
Rim world editor Editor on GIT