Perhaps Children should be a toggle-able feature?

Started by Third_Of_Five, January 18, 2018, 08:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Third_Of_Five

Yes, mods, I know that this topic has been discussed to death several times over. I am not making this thread to discuss the subject of adding children itself, but rather an idea that is related to it.

So I know that the idea of adding children to Rimworld is a pretty controversial topic, and this controversy seems to revolve around subjective preferences in play style. Some people seem to think children is simply too time-consuming and long term of an investment to be a meaningful part of the game, while others seem to either disagree with this statement or think that children need to be added in for realism.

I am definitely in the pro-children camp of this debate, but regardless of your position on it I have an idea for something of a compromise:

If children were to be added into the game, should there be a setting you can toggle when creating a new world that enables/disables the ability for your colonists to procreate?

People who don't want kids in their game could simply toggle it off. No more arguing and screeching on the forums about "muh gameplay" or "muh realism", just change the world setting to play how you want. No need to force people to conform to a play style that they don't like.

Thoughts?

Harry_Dicks

No. I don't want Ludeon to waste their time or resources on something that I highly doubt would be of a net benefit to the game or community as a whole. Why would they waste time trying to implement and entire new system that people could just toggle off. And you know they would not half ass it either, it will have lots of other stuff to go along with everything from conception, pregnancy, birthing, and raising the children. The whole family dynamic. Familial social webs. How old before children can procreate? Can they procreate at 15 with a 60 year old pawn? It's just too much, for too little, for something too insignificant in my eyes.

O Negative

I love the idea of children. I just don't see it in this game's future. Not even as a toggled option.

harpo99999

and for those that WANT to have pregnacy and children in game there is a mod by thirite called children and pregnacy (here in the forums and has been beta'd to 18)

Granitecosmos

Honestly, implementing this isn't a hard thing. It's a conscious decision by the devs to not include it. Has been suggested a thousand times, still not part of the base game and for a good reason. It adds nothing meaningful regarding gameplay. Children would be unable to do 90% of the tasks if it was implemented in a realistic way. They would eat, sleep and either do nothing or do something at a much slower speed than the adults, for many in-game years. At that point it's simply not worth it to keep them in the colony, especially since the devs have stated several times that they balance the game for around 10 (max 15) colonist per colony. Per current code, a child would be worth just as much as an adult for the various counters and softcaps used by the game.

It's not worth the time to implement and wouldn't bring anything truly new and engaging mechanic for the gameplay either.

Third_Of_Five

Quote from: Granitecosmos on January 19, 2018, 05:05:49 AM
Honestly, implementing this isn't a hard thing. It's a conscious decision by the devs to not include it. Has been suggested a thousand times, still not part of the base game and for a good reason. It adds nothing meaningful regarding gameplay. Children would be unable to do 90% of the tasks if it was implemented in a realistic way. They would eat, sleep and either do nothing or do something at a much slower speed than the adults, for many in-game years. At that point it's simply not worth it to keep them in the colony, especially since the devs have stated several times that they balance the game for around 10 (max 15) colonist per colony. Per current code, a child would be worth just as much as an adult for the various counters and softcaps used by the game.

It's not worth the time to implement and wouldn't bring anything truly new and engaging mechanic for the gameplay either.

See, this is exactly what this thread isn't about. If you want to give your opinion on children, do it in another thread.

tmo97

granitecosmos has a hard time being constructive, even if you tell him he's not being relevant

If there be children, let there be a toggle.
The default setting should be off, for obvious reasons.

My opinion on children in Rimworld:
You know that suggestion thread where some guy says, "you should remake rimworld in 3D and port it to unity" and you just know that this guy has no consideration for anything whatsoever and literally is just here to tell people what he wants?

Y'know, the 13yo kid who makes hugely complicated suggestions based on what he drools over in his mind, even though you know that he'll play with it for a while and then get bored (because these kinds of people dont deserve gifts like that anyway)?

Honestly, that's what the idea of children in rimworld feels like to me.
It wouldn't fit, it would be obnoxious in that everything would revolve around it, by suggesting it people remind me of the kid who says "PLS MOD GARRYS MOD INTO SKYRIM PLSSSSS"

You know how much I hate pawns with no legs, brain injuries and work incapabilities?
I arrest them and I make someone beat them to death with their fists, or I sell them, or I burn them with a furnace.
You want me to do this to children?
You wanna wait for an ingame 15 years before your liability can do anything, while you get rimworlded, meaning you get raided, bombed and thrown all kinds of shit at you?
It makes NO SENSE!

BlackSmokeDMax

There is already a toggle. Either enable the mod, or don't!

Calahan

Quote from: Third_Of_Five on January 18, 2018, 08:14:33 PM
Yes, mods, I know that this topic has been discussed to death several times over. I am not making this thread to discuss the subject of adding children itself, but rather an idea that is related to it.
So let me see if I understand you here. You want this to be a separate branching thread to discuss a suggestion that is entirely dependent on a feature that is NOT going to be added to the game. Z-levels are not going to be added to the game either, so do you want a separate branching thread to discuss a suggestion or toggle entirely dependent on Z-levels as well?

I can't even wrap my head around the logic behind why anyone would want to discuss whether or not a toggle should be added for a non-existent game feature. Children and Pregnancy do not exist as a feature in the vanilla game. It will never feature in the vanilla game. Isn't this clear to everyone yet? Apparently not as you want to discuss whether this never to exist feature should have an on/off toggle. No. Just no.

I can't stop people wasting their time discussing this on Steam, Reddit or wherever, but I can save them their time here, and I can close suggestion threads for ideas that are entirely invalid as a suggestion for the vanilla game.

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on January 19, 2018, 03:32:52 PM
There is already a toggle. Either enable the mod, or don't!
Quite literally /thread.