Question about future content

Started by soth, January 11, 2015, 04:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soth

Hello - I have really enjoyed this game so far, but wondering if there is a developer roadmap somewhere? Is there a list of new events or content that is upcoming?

For me I have set up a pretty deadly killbox and saferoom now and once complete find very little challenge and start to lose interest in the game.

I have set the difficulty to max on cassandra but now that I know what I'm doing get little challenge out of it all.

Edited to add: Also have tried randy but actually find it easier than cassandra... he kept just generating mad squirrels and animals which were easy to deal with

Suggestions:

Event with something that burrows through walls to attack you in your underground safebase kind of like umberhulks

More one off events like the ship with the AI driving colonists mad

Setting for frequency of attacks that can be scaled to give more and maybe even multiple attacks at once

milon

Hi soth, welcome to the forums!

Regarding the roadmap (stolen from another thread):
Quote from: Matthiasagreen on October 14, 2014, 05:33:15 PM
Quote from: milon on October 14, 2014, 05:31:18 PM
IIRC, Tynan doesn't keep much of a roadmap.  He doesn't want to spoil surprises, and he doesn't want to "commit" to something that doesn't work out or turns out to be a bad idea.  He also doesn't want to limit his creativity or the community feedback.  Again, this is IIRC, and I think his goal is to let the game grow/evolve naturally and become what it "should" be rather than what he _used_ to think it "should" be.

Definitely this. I would only add that a roadmap and list of future features does in fact exist, but hasn't left the comfort of Tynan's personal computer for the above mentioned reasons.

poulsen78

Im kinda in the same boat. Mods made me get many extra hours out of the game, but with my current game, with around 50 colonist after 200 days and more silver than i know what to use for i dont feel the game have much more to offer currently.

But remember its only in the alpha stage. There is plenty to be implemented still and the core game is really really solid.

I know this is about rimworld, but if you like builder games you should really check out factorio. That is also a really awesome indie builder game with the same kind of development approach as rimworld.

TheSilencedScream

The framework for RimWorld is absolutely fantastic (the cover and shooting mechanics, the consequences of injuries, and the new weather system, to name a few), and I can't wait to see what other kind of content Tynan brings to the game.

With that being said, at this point in time, I doubt I would've purchased as early as I did without the sheer amount of mods that available and being added every day.

As a final note - try playing without killboxes and underground building. Play in the open, with multiple approaches, and see how well it does; try playing EdB's Scenarios in the mods. This is a sandbox game of sorts, and the fun - and challenge - will often come from your own experimenting and creativity. If you keep repeating the same formula - tunneling and making killboxes - then, of course it will become repetitive.

EDIT:
I do want to comment about my middle section, since Milon quoted me elsewhere and I reconsidered what I wrote. I stand by what I said - that the game without mods wouldn't be worth the price in it's current state - but what ensures the game's value IS that it's so mod-friendly, adding all the more to it's replayability. I don't regret my purchase in the slightest and I truly am excited to see what Tynan throws our way next. :)
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

soth

Thanks for the responses guys.

Which mods are the most fun?

christhekiller

My favorite mods are EdBs, in fact they're really the only mods I use at the moment, mostly because if I find a bug I want to minimize the chances of it being a mod-related bug.

Also, you can check out Tynan's change log which he updates with the stuff that'll be in the next Alpha
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rCdGYp3nbSUXFG4Ky96RZW1cJGt9g_6ANZZPOHyNsg/pub

milon

Mods that I've played with
EdB Prepare Carefully - Let's you customize your starting colonists, number of colonists, equipment, etc
EdB Interface - An interface-only mod that improves layout, visuals, etc
IceSheet - Enables the Ice Sheet biome (haven't tried the updated version with wolves yet)

Others that look good
EdB Scenarios - Another EdB mod, gives you some scenarios to play through
The Metal Age - You have to go through stone, bronze, iron (etc) ages to progress to the higher technologies