Your colony's sad days

Started by tylers2001, February 11, 2015, 04:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tylers2001

So as I was playing on my "Military Outpost world" I noticed i was running out of food at an amazing rate and I wouldn't make it through the winter with so many colonist and such a small farm/garden. So the first thing I did was expand my indoor garden (which i just used fertilizer pumps to fertilize the stone inside my mountain) and expand and expand almost to where it would collapse. This thing was bigger than my colony but I still couldn't grow them at a fast enough rate. So I had two brawlers that were just taking up space and food. We did not eat them no. But I still regret what I did. I took them out side and put them side to side with there backs against the mountain. Then i brought four colonists out. One with an Uzi and the rest with M16's. It was a firing squad. I counted down in my head and then made them pull their triggers. they went down almost instantly. but they weren't dead. I sent my custom colonist Ajax to finish the job. He walked up to one with his M16 and put it two the brawler's forehead. She died instantly. The next one he did the same but this one was different. He talked to Ajax before he was killed. I imagine he said "I may die for the colony but i wouldn't die for anything else." Ajax shed a tear and pulled the trigger. They all would be remembered.  :'(
There is a difference between me and you. I'm the one still standing.

RickyMartini

I hope you didn't forget to skin them and sell their meat.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Skissor on February 11, 2015, 05:15:14 PM
I hope you didn't forget to skin them and sell their meat.

I love Rimworld quotes.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

muffins

Ykara

I don't understand why you didn't eat them. Were all your colonists near a mental break? 70 meat per human is enough to feed a colony for half a week.

tylers2001

My colonist were living in a hole in a mountain with a campfire keeping them warm i think they would have went insane
There is a difference between me and you. I'm the one still standing.

RickyMartini

Quote from: tylers2001 on February 12, 2015, 04:46:52 PM
My colonist were living in a hole in a mountain with a campfire keeping them warm i think they would have went insane

Not more insane after they realized that they buried fresh meat under the ground. I would have been furious.

muffins

This isn't very sad, but it's the saddest thing that's happened in my colony so far.

My colony currently has 64 colonists, many of which are interesting characters. There is Min, one of our top leaders and the person who does all the colony's negotiations. She was a former pop-idol but now sculpts great masterpieces in our artist studio full-time, and cuts a distinctive figure in her devilstrand duster, shirt and pants. On her head rests a military helmet made of solid gold, which she humorously calls a 'crown'.

There is Sartherian, a former assassin and now leading member of the colony's militia who spends most of her days alone out in the wilderness hunting. The other militia members are like a cross section of the colony, with haulers like Cassowary, great cooks like Bidueiro, talented artists like Caligari, and builders and crafters like Engie and Agerra. Then there is Raisa. Rescued from an ancient sarcophagus this ageing soldier was given two bionic eyes which she uses with great effect as the militia sniper. Hiroki, also rescued from an ancient sarcophagus, lost his one remaining leg to infection. Now with two bionic legs he is our most valuable hauler.

When we recruited Jules the colony was 31 strong and was in desperate need for more haulers. The colony's rapid growth had generated so much rubble, building material and food that Jules was made a hauler despite having modest skills in other areas. She was a dedicated worker and with her friendly demeanour she rapidly became one of the colony's favourite members, and was easily recognised in the colony's great halls and passages by her trademark pink coat and blue hat.

One day danger came in the form of raiders and the militia rushed to the defences. Behind the militia, out of sight but ready to join the battle should it be required, were two reserve groups of civilians. Armoured and well armed civilians in the first group, everyone else in the second group. Jules, with just a pistol, was in the second group and was not expected to fight.

The fighting became messy. Some of the militia became injured and withdrew, their positions taken over by members of the first civilian group. Then it was noticed that some raiders had found the back door and were advancing through our fields! The colony's response was confused and shambolic. The militia and best armed civilians were tied down against the main raider assault and there was precious little cover in the farm area. The two civilian groups moved at once but became mingled and badly deployed in the rush to meet the invaders.

The fighting took place from behind trees and rocks and quickly overwhelmed the single turret in the fields. As the raiders advanced into Jules' range she began firing her pistol at them. Being a civilian the fire from her pistol was inaccurate and ineffective, but added to the volume of fire being hurled at the raiders, it helped stall their advance as they sought cover from the storm of bullets. Firing from behind sandbags, she kept up a steady stream of bullets *bang ... bang ... bang ...*

The reply was a single, and much louder, *crack*

Blood spattered Jules' coat and face and she staggered backwards with the force of impact. She tried to wipe the blood from her face but found that no hand appeared in her vision.

"Wha - what?"

Looking down she discovered that her arm had been blown off and was lying in the crimson snow.

"Get back, Jules. Get to the hospital,"
an ashen faced fellow civilian shouted from close by, his face pressed against the rock he was sheltering behind. "Go! Go! Go!" She fled, and her passage could be re-traced, if one would wish to, by following the trail of blood that was left splattered on walls, floors and doors.

The medics were wonderful that day and no-one died, the worst injury being the severance of Jules' arm. Jules was back on the job incredibly rapidly and even helped clean up the mess caused by the fighting, hauling weapons to the armoury, steel to the stockpiles and raider corpses to the 'special' freezer next to the 'special' butchers.

However, hauling with just one arm was difficult (you try and pick up a box of potatoes from off the ground with just one hand - it's nearly impossible) and this was noticed by the colony's leaders. As the days and weeks passed Jules increasingly felt the weight of their eyes upon her, saw the small shakes of their heads or heard her name whispered between leaders whenever they spotted Jules struggling to drag a log, a rock or a corpse behind her.

Then one day Jules was unexpectedly ordered to the hospital by the announcer on the tannoy system. Doctor Nag told her to lay on one of the beds and prepared a syringe.

"Wha - what's going on?" Jules asked. At that moment Min stepped out of a side room, dressed as ever in her red devilstrands and golden helmet, and patted Jules reassuringly on the arm.

"It's all right," she said soothingly, "don't worry."

"You seem very upset about something," Jules observed after a short pause. "Is something wrong?"

Min took a ragged inhale of breath and covered her eyes with a hand. Her lip quivered.

"We ... we have to make sacrifices sometimes ... for the good of the colony ... you ... you've been struggling recently ... and ... and we can't bare to see you suffer ... it's ... it's for the best ..."

Doctor Nag filled the syringe that he was holding with a clear liquid from a nondescript bottle.

"DON'T EUTHANISE ME! I'LL WORK TWICE AS HARD I PROMISE! PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!!!" Jules cried loudly. "I DON'T WANT TO BE A HAT!"

Both Min and Doctor Nag were taken aback by Jules' outburst. "No, no, no! You have it all wrong!" the Doc exclaimed while rummaging under the hospital bed. "We were going to install this on you," he explained and revealed a top-of-the-line BioWareZ™ brand bionic arm featuring an enamelled surface decorated with mythical creatures.

Jules frowned in puzzlement. "But ... but why is Min crying then?"

"I ... I had to ... s-sell a masterpiece to a ... t-trader," Min blubbered, her lower lip starting to quiver. "The sacrifice ... is ... worth it ... I ... must be ... strong ..." and with that Min valiantly attempted to strike a stoic pose.

The facade crumbled in seconds and Min fled the hospital in tears. "My sculpture! My sculpture! Sold to philistines! Philistines!"

That's about how sad it can get in my colony I'm afraid.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Tudor

Hehe thanks for sharing the stories =)

I'm pretty new to the game and never had a colony of more than 6 pawns.

snipes

Just a Animation Student Nothing to see here...move along

GamerGuy

PLEASE DON'T make me into a hat!

That made laugh so hard, unfortunatly its the truth of what happens.