Outdoors deterioration VS trade beacons

Started by webkilla, February 18, 2015, 03:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webkilla

Ok, so... now stuff left outside will degrade. Bummer.

I used to have a lot of trade storage in the form of outdoors storage zones with beacons in the middle of them.

IIRC you can't trade stuff that a beacon covers, if its under a roof.

How should I make my trade setups now?

Matthiasagreen

with a trade beacon under a roof. That has been fixed now.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

tommytom

One trade beacon under a roof (mountain or constructed).

Optionally, second trade beacon outside to designate a "drop zone" to prevent weird shipment locations. I usually put one right outside the door so colonists can go pick them up quickly and take them inside.

You can leave silver outside and other items that don't deteriorate so they stay where they land and can be traded later if you setup the stockpile for the outside beacon correctly.

Boboid

Note that purchased items and enemy drop pods will prioritize outside beacons so you can very carefully control where they drop now.

I found during testing that the best course of action was to have dedicated selling beacons under cover at all times, and a purchase beacon located some distance away that was essentially a building with a 1 tile roof removal above the beacon itself.

Most purchases will land undercover (very rarely one will land directly on the beacon and will be exposed to outside) which is nice but more importantly drop pod attacks will only land around this area which makes them much easier to manage.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

skullywag

Has anyone had a raid on a beacon yet, do they still target your first beacon with droppods even if its indoors?
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Boboid

I just said that they prioritize outdoor beacons :P

if your first beacon is undercover and your second is outdoors, they'll land on the second
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

Silvador

So I don't need to repeatedly haul my goods to my "trading area" every time I want to trade, now? I can just leave everything inside and just dump a whack of beacons indoors and go about my day with a smile?!

O.O

Would've been nice to have had this listed in the changelog. I didn't see it and if I hadn't come to the forum to find out more about the new temperature mechanics I never would've known!

Boboid

JimmyAgnt007

Drop Pod raids land at the primary beacon, (the oldest one), so i place that in my first killbox.  Everything else gets put into storage under a roof in my mountain base. 

Boboid

That's not quite true anymore, your primary beacon will be assigned to external beacons in preference to undercover beacons. So there's no need to place your first beacon outside, if you only have one external beacon that will be targeted by drop pods ( and purchased items )
You can quite easily test this in dev mode yourself.

tommytom

Oooooooh. I didn't even realize the drop pod raider party got to your outside beacon. Makes sense. This is why my valley between my mountain entrance and killbox entrance got hit and I had no defense. Good thing to know.