[A9 mod request] Nerf tattered clothing neg

Started by akiceabear, February 23, 2015, 05:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akiceabear

Basically, I think the current deterioration system is a good idea in theory, but the current implementation is cumbersome. Tynan noted on Reddit (see below) that he will automate clothing changing in a future version, but for now I think the following may be passable fix (hopefully easy for one of our great modders).

* Remove the mood debuff from worn out clothing.
* Add a mood buff for new clothing - e.g. above x%.

That way there is still an incentive to wear new clothing, but there is less pressure on the player to micromanage clothing choice whenever a piece of clothing becomes worn out. Essentially this would double the time between decisions...

http://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/2wlavo/clothing_degradation_do_you_like_it_or_no/
QuoteTynanSylvesterLead Developer 14 points 2 days ago*
Yeah, I'm not comfortable with the micromanagement this tends to introduce. That why I'm aiming for A10 to have a system whereby the colonists will make their own clothing decisions. The player's only job will be to set them a 'category' or an 'outfit' to give them a general intent; then they'll determine themselves what exactly to wear and when to change it out.
So the micromanagement problem is known and temporary to Alpha 9.

RawCode

1) Navigate to folder used to store rimworld.
2) mods
3) core

4) you already know type of object, in other case, you can install notepad++ and run filesystem search for know keywords

5) defs
6) ThoughtDefs

7) Thoughts_ConditionsGeneral

8) ApparelDamaged (line 207)

9) set to any value you like, including positive

In case of portable modding:

1) Just "shadow" same def with your own, core defs by default have "lowest" priority and allow overrides from mods.
Mods that try to override same def will result in unspecified behavior.
Mod that try to override same def multiple times will result in error.

2) Def database is just database, you can set any key to any value, DLL based mods may feature things like "random stats for everything" and other funny things that not possible with static files, also you can control priority on your own.

TimTumm

Sorry, some of use did not understand what the above poster said.  On behalf of those mundane folks like me, I second the request for this mod!

Wastelander

I like this. I'm imagining a jobgiver that executes after the other needs are fulfilled, detects tattered clothing, and gets the colonist to path to a same-kind-of clothing sitting in a stockpile somewhere and swaps it out.

I'll bang this out in a few days. Maybe tonight.

RawCode

there is "race condition" related to presence of both quality and "damage value", there is no effective and fair way to solve it.

legendary hat with 25% durability will have stats like brand new "normal" hat, above 25% will have better stats, what hat should colonist use in such case?

akiceabear

Quote from: RawCode on February 23, 2015, 07:59:49 PM
there is "race condition" related to presence of both quality and "damage value", there is no effective and fair way to solve it.

legendary hat with 25% durability will have stats like brand new "normal" hat, above 25% will have better stats, what hat should colonist use in such case?

I don't know the answer to your question, but hopefully Tynan implements this in the colonists dressing AI in A10 - "colonist prefers function over form", so you can prioritize better stats over better style buffs with a colonists generic outfit, or the opposite, as you see fit for each colonist.

Wastelander

Quotelegendary hat with 25% durability will have stats like brand new "normal" hat, above 25% will have better stats, what hat should colonist use in such case?

But only the tattered legendary hat will give the mood debuff, so I'd prefer an undamaged poor quality one over a damaged legendary one at that point.

RawCode

Wastelander

Well, I think it should look for another same-type item with better quality. That would at least get rid of the debuff.