[1.3.0] Hospitality

Started by Orion, March 13, 2015, 11:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vas

Quote from: Tynan on July 10, 2015, 05:17:57 PM
This mod looks really great, actually. Very nice vanilla-style addition to the core game.

I wonder if you'll ever add the inverse: visitors coming to recruit away your colonists. Now ally relations become a sort of social conflict over human resources! (Just an idea, in truth this could be infuriating and I probably wouldn't do it myself).
If one of you did do this part, I'd make it a population based event, and only happen if their reputation with you is below something like 20, and only happen if your colonists aren't that content with their home.  AKA if you give them a large room with plants and lavish meals, why would you leave that to go join some hobo organization or live in a cave with a group of cavemen in a large pile of flesh, sleeping side by side with someone's boil blister smelly foot in your face?

Also, with this, the game should allow you to set your rep with others.  This could really open up a whole lot of new stuff to the game such as allowing them to contact you via coms and ask for assistance, or being able to bribe you with silver for reputation points, etc etc.  I can make a larger post in suggestions later for this.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Orion

Quote from: Vas on July 10, 2015, 08:10:49 PM
I'd make it a population based event, and only happen if their reputation with you is below something like 20, and only happen if your colonists aren't that content with their home.
Agreed!

Quote from: Vas on July 10, 2015, 08:10:49 PM
Also, with this, the game should allow you to set your rep with others.  This could really open up a whole lot of new stuff to the game such as allowing them to contact you via coms and ask for assistance, or being able to bribe you with silver for reputation points, etc etc.
Yes, I've been pondering about these as well. Maybe even the possibility to send a few guys away "on a mission". But technically it might be a huge headache to program (albeit awesome).

This mod looks really great, actually. Very nice vanilla-style addition to the core game.
Thanks! That means a lot to me.

I wonder if you'll ever add the inverse: visitors coming to recruit away your colonists. Now ally relations become a sort of social conflict over human resources! (Just an idea, in truth this could be infuriating and I probably wouldn't do it myself).
It could indeed be a negative event triggered by an unhappy citizen who just joins the enemy faction on visit. Or some sort of influencing minigame that makes every visit a risk to lose colonists. But both might indeed feel rather punishing / random.

Quote from: Leucetius on July 10, 2015, 02:58:12 PM
Also possible (and quite easy) : let the storyteller difficulty influence the relationship impact. Orion: you know where to put THAT ;)

And: thank you for crediting me so heavily :D
Indeed, that would make the most sense. An extra dialog is maybe overkill. And you're welcome. I can use any help with the mods, so I'm very grateful for your contribution.

BoxOfDoom

Great Idea! I've been waiting for something like this to be implemented in vanilla.

However, when running this mod, something weird happens.

The first visitor event has roughly 100 visitors going in and out of the map repeatedly, slowing the game to a crawl. They never stop and coming and going.
This happened only when your running Hospitality and Core. It didn't happen when I ran Core on it's own.

But still, Kudos for this idea!

Othobrithol

I just had the same bug occur. I'm sorry I should have paid more attention to the debug log, but from what I recall it was failing to call a method called something 'selector' coupled with a second error saying something to the effect of you can't call an instance of a pawn with a null ID or something like that.

Sorry if that is vague enough for you, recovering from minor surgery so no sleep + pain meds. Lucky I can spell.

running 11b with your 1.06 along with SCA11 and a mess of minor mods. Until I read the above post I assumed it was some weird interaction, since I've spent most of the morning trying to get a bunch to play nice together.

Edit: I reverted to 1.05b and reloaded the prior autosave. Works perfectly now.

MrBeTrayed

I also experienced the same issues as Othobrithol and BoxOfDoom, using 1.06.  Game came to a crawl with the same debug messages.  Also spawning a bunch of visitors who were then going off and then back on the screen.

Vas

Quote from: Orion on July 11, 2015, 04:40:21 AM
It could indeed be a negative event triggered by an unhappy citizen who just joins the enemy faction on visit. Or some sort of influencing minigame that makes every visit a risk to lose colonists. But both might indeed feel rather punishing / random.

I'd rather this part be optional though, considering I play with Prepare Carefully and my colonists are actually people I know RL, or friends I know online.  I even set up all my stats to mimic my real life skills.  That's kinda why I wish Prepare Carefully was part of the game by default so players could make a character that best represents themselves and play that way.

Maybe if there was an added option, a trait or a button that lets you set the starting colonists before the game begins to all be "loyal", so they never leave just up and leave for any reason, including "given up and leaving colony" events.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Orion

Quote from: MrBeTrayed on July 11, 2015, 04:51:59 PM
I also experienced the same issues as Othobrithol and BoxOfDoom, using 1.06.  Game came to a crawl with the same debug messages.  Also spawning a bunch of visitors who were then going off and then back on the screen.
Sorry about that. I didn't have that problem myself, I'll investigate as soon as possible.

Quote from: Vas on July 11, 2015, 05:52:33 PM
Maybe if there was [..] a trait [..] that lets you set the starting colonists before the game begins to all be "loyal", so they never leave just up and leave for any reason, including "given up and leaving colony" events.
I quite like that. I think I'll add a "Loyalist" trait. It will also make it impossible to recruit pawns from other factions who have that trait.

mimib14

I'm experiencing the same problem with 1.06 as Othobrithol, BoxOfDoom, and MrBeTrayed. Debug log reads:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at Hospitality.IncidentWorker VisitorGroup.TryFindRandomVisitSpot (Verse.Pawn searcher. Verse.IntVec3& result) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Exception filling tab Hospitality.ITab_Pawn_Guest: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at Hospitality.ITab_Pawn_Guest.Filltab () [0x00000] <filename unknown>:0

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at Hospitality.IncidentWorker VisitorGroup.TryFindRandomVisitSpot (Verse.Pawn searcher. Verse.IntVec3& result) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

rdz1122

I reverted back to 1.5b, as 1.6 seemed to default to "improve relations", and I had to manually select each individual visitor and change the behavior to "leave alone".

Any thoughts?

Vas

Quote from: Orion on July 11, 2015, 06:00:41 PM
Quote from: Vas on July 11, 2015, 05:52:33 PM
Maybe if there was [..] a trait [..] that lets you set the starting colonists before the game begins to all be "loyal", so they never leave just up and leave for any reason, including "given up and leaving colony" events.
I quite like that. I think I'll add a "Loyalist" trait. It will also make it impossible to recruit pawns from other factions who have that trait.
What about allowing your default colonists to spawn with a 4th trait "loyalist"? :P  Prepare Carefully only lets you have 3 but I know the game supports unlimited (only can display 4 at a time though).  So, maybe an option that lets you have your first colonists spawn with that trait added on?

Orion

Quote from: mimib14 on July 11, 2015, 06:02:13 PM
I'm experiencing the same problem with 1.06 as Othobrithol, BoxOfDoom, and MrBeTrayed. Debug log reads:
Thanks! I can already see what the problem is.

Quote from: Vas on July 11, 2015, 10:59:21 PM
What about allowing your default colonists to spawn with a 4th trait "loyalist"?
I guess that could be possible. I'll have to see how much control I have over the initial colonists. Maybe not enough.

Quote from: rdz1122 on July 11, 2015, 08:59:09 PM
I reverted back to 1.5b, as 1.6 seemed to default to "improve relations", and I had to manually select each individual visitor and change the behavior to "leave alone".

Any thoughts?
This is by design. Since visitors now quickly tire of talking, you'd generally want to talk to all of them. I found myself turning it on for them all the time. And for me, a game like RimWorld should not bother me with repetitive uninteresting tasks.

Do you have a better idea?

Dammster

I can confirm the bug with hundreds of visitors going in and out of the map.

Orion

Okay, I fixed the discovered bugs:

Changelog
1.06b - 12.07.2015
- fixed error with new colonies
- fixed error when visitors gets attacked

Vas

Quote from: Orion on July 12, 2015, 04:08:32 AM
This is by design. Since visitors now quickly tire of talking, you'd generally want to talk to all of them. I found myself turning it on for them all the time. And for me, a game like RimWorld should not bother me with repetitive uninteresting tasks.

Do you have a better idea?
A button somewhere that lets you check all current visitors as "talk to", that way if a group of visitors shows up, you can click it and it select all visitors on the map.  So a new UI button somewhere, perhaps even under one of the build menus like the one that has "plans" in it.  Just a random thought.

Orion

Quote from: Othobrithol on July 12, 2015, 11:53:16 PM
Please look at this post I made elsewhere:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3612.msg150439#msg150439

I do not know which mod (if either) is the source, but logically either could be a possibility.
I would guess it's an unlucky combination. It's very strange that the trader would fire the hospitality message, since it should only show through the visitor incident.