[1.3.0] Hospitality

Started by Orion, March 13, 2015, 11:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuCentre

TLHeart

Visitors now drop silver or items if they enjoyed their stay....

This gets interesting, as this causes the visitors to carry additional items in their inventory. Then when rival factions get in battles, the additional weapon items are dropped when downed and all items are dropped when killed.

An unintended result. Not a big deal in vanilla, since their are only 6 factions... It is resulting in interesting events with LOTS and LOTS of loot in the MVP pack. Tribals carrying 4 clubs in inventory, or carrying syther blades, and silver. They get in a fight with a rival faction, and all that loot is on the ground.

Is there a way to limit what the visitors carry in their inventory to pay for their stay?

DuCentre

I've noticed that guests all seem to get the "Shared Bedroom" mood penalty even when given separate rooms.

Orion

Quote from: TLHeart on January 06, 2016, 11:08:02 AM
Visitors now drop silver or items if they enjoyed their stay....

This gets interesting, as this causes the visitors to carry additional items in their inventory. Then when rival factions get in battles, the additional weapon items are dropped when downed and all items are dropped when killed.

An unintended result. Not a big deal in vanilla, since their are only 6 factions... It is resulting in interesting events with LOTS and LOTS of loot in the MVP pack. Tribals carrying 4 clubs in inventory, or carrying syther blades, and silver. They get in a fight with a rival faction, and all that loot is on the ground.

Is there a way to limit what the visitors carry in their inventory to pay for their stay?
I thought I'd just try it out and see what you guys think about it. Obviously it's possible to exploit it. But if someone wants to exploit the game, there are easier ways to do that. But I see your point, it shouldn't be overpowered.

I can limit it. For now I went with "some silver" and "a couple" of random items of varying quality. And yeah, technically it can be a uranium power armor with 50000$ market value. Maybe I can add a cap to the total value of each item. It's a bit tricky, since apparently the actual value is only determined after the item is already created, so in the worst case I have to create and destroy items over and over until the value is acceptable.

What could be interesting is some sort of "Scavenger" event, where a random faction shows up and picks your battlefield clean. So you either have to defend your loot (bad luck if they're allies you want to keep) or you have to see all the stuff go again. The most tricky part here is determining what's part of the battlefield and what's part of the player's base. I can't use the homezone, because else players will just homezone all the loot.

I'm curious if anyone has a better idea.

Quote from: DuCentre on January 07, 2016, 01:52:47 AM
I've noticed that guests all seem to get the "Shared Bedroom" mood penalty even when given separate rooms.
That's true. Unfortunately I can't fix that one. Or at least I wouldn't know how.

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: Orion on January 07, 2016, 09:24:33 AM
What could be interesting is some sort of "Scavenger" event, where a random faction shows up and picks your battlefield clean. So you either have to defend your loot (bad luck if they're allies you want to keep) or you have to see all the stuff go again. The most tricky part here is determining what's part of the battlefield and what's part of the player's base. I can't use the homezone, because else players will just homezone all the loot.

I'm curious if anyone has a better idea.

You could've done it with the home zone without telling us, but you blew it...  :P

Well, if possible, you could make it so a given number of tiles around buildings owned by the colony is what counts as the "player's base", but I'm not sure if it is.
Or make indoor items off-limits. I think most people keep their stuff inside.

harpo99999

there is the NEEDED(for trading with the traders/ships) outdoor trade beacon area, so there is another zone that can not be allowed to 'cleaned of loot' ie the trade beacon zone, which is usually in the home zone

Orion

I usually enclose my trading area with a wall, so animals won't eat traded food :P

I could check for items not being in a room. This would exclude enclosed spaces, even when unroofed. Smart scavengers would also avoid the firing lines of the player's sentry guns. So to secure the loot on a battlefield, the player would have to place a sentry gun there. Of course, if they're allied, they'd go there anyway.

I do think this would add a very interesting dynamic that fits RimWorld well. Sounds like a lot of work, too, though. Maybe it's best to make it a separate mod, that is recommended to be used with Hosptitality.

Now... I just need lots of free time ::)

Grimandevil

Hey Orion,
  now that we have guest beds, is it possible to have an option like "offer medical treatment" in guest tabs? I think its a fairly self-explanatory idea.
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

Orion

Quote from: Grimandevil on January 12, 2016, 02:22:15 PM
Hey Orion,
  now that we have guest beds, is it possible to have an option like "offer medical treatment" in guest tabs? I think its a fairly self-explanatory idea.
In theory, yes. But the whole medical treatment code is very complex. For guests to sleep over, I had to adapt, copy and rewrite the sleeping code. I'd have to do the same for medical, which might prove difficult, given that some of the source code in question can't be decompiled.

Grimandevil

today I had a visit from 2 rival factions, both staying in my guest house, stabbing each other from time to time. it was really hilarious to observe.
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

TLHeart

I have been enjoy the whole guest bed, them paying for their stay, and sometimes very high amounts of silver... all good.

One of the quirks I have found is colonist will sleep in guest beds that are empty, if the guest bed is closer to them than an unowned colonist bed. Works great when I am short on colonist beds. Easy to correct by assigning a colonist bed to the guest bed using colonist.

Orion

I'm glad to hear you guys are enjoying it. I don't think I can easily prevent colonists from using the guest beds, but I'll add it to the list of stuff to do. Never noticed it, thanks!

Grimandevil

was it because the guest room is more impressive than the other? in my case it was.

TLHeart

It is a distance factor, not impressiveness... and the guest beds, 3 crammed into a small room.

Honestly I do not expect it be be fixed Orion, just one of those little quirks colonist will do.

Tekuromoto

Quote from: harpo99999 on January 07, 2016, 06:20:53 PM
there is the NEEDED(for trading with the traders/ships) outdoor trade beacon area

You don't need any outdoor trading beacons unless you care where stuff lands when you buy it; without an outdoor beacon I find stuff always lands near the door(s) to my colony. Stuff will teleport away from indoor beacons just fine.