[1.3.0] Hospitality

Started by Orion, March 13, 2015, 11:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngleWyrm

OK, downloading; I like this mod and enjoy the opportunity to do reviews of incoming personnel for possible hire.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

faltonico

I seriously believed we would end up burning you out with so many bug reports (many even unrelated... like mine -_-') and selfish requests, but i am absolutely amazed even moved that you still expend your time to improve your mod, AND you still want feedback from this selfish community (me among those  ::) ).
I thank you for your work! And all the other modders who get to see this.

I don't think i can give you any feedback regarding this update, because my colony became unplayable very early (a "hege" warning is the suspect this time). But i will allow myself, and i hope that is not too much of a bother, to give you some thoughts regarding this mod of yours:
- Pawn interaction with guests seems to be a bit too frequent.
Pawns take a lot of their work time entertaining guests, i really haven't counted exactly how many times a day, but it seem to be a whole lot. The matter becomes more evident when there are a lot of guests in a big colony, pawns running back and forth leaving stuff unfinished all around. ¿Would you consider reducing the amount of times pawns talk to guest and increase the significance of each one of the interactions?. If the visits are longer with this version, it would be impactful to do the change.
- Visitor event is a tad too frequent.
One time I had departing visitors crossing paths with new visitors at the door!, it can become very very frequent when your colony is running well at later game. I'm not really complaining so much about the frequency but the result of that increased frequency, I think you already explained this somewhere in the thread, but i still believe the visitor event reduces the overall chances of getting other events, i have had very prolonged uneventful periods between raids or other major events even with cassandra extreme. ¿Any chances that these visits are somehow scheduled and do not depend of a drawing lot from the pool of possible events?.
- ?.
I'm a complete noob at modding, my only skills is that i can push buttons to input copy pasted words. But, ¿wouldn't using a mod tool facilitate your work and improve the compatibility with other mods? have you considered using some of those in the future? I personally would be burnt by the past situation with the other modding tool, i wouldn't blame you if you don't want to use them.

As i said somewhere in this thread before, you managed to improve this mod and take away all the stuff that was bothering me with the A15 version. You even managed to include other stuff that i'm simply amazed that you could pull off. I really thankful for that.
Keep up the good work!

Orion

Thanks about your thoughts, you clearly put some time into them!

I haven't had the time to try this mod with a "real" large colony. But usually once my colony gets larger, I have more idle colonists that can attend to guests. I do consider it a full-time job for one or more people that if neglected causes you trouble down the road.
So I'm curious what other people think about this.

Same with visitor events. A lot of people playing with this mod want to run a hotel-like colony and not having visitors then is boring (you want to be able to host multiple groups at once at some point). Depending on how the magic behind Tynan's event queue really works, it could be that queued visitors push away some other events, but it could also just feel that way.

Now there is a chance this escalates if you get very popular, to the point where you will have some people walking out in anger. This is a tricky balance to get right, and testing it on my own does not make up for lots of people with all their mod configurations, etc.
But this might also be a question of preference.

I've had my hands burned with CCL, causing 100s of support questions (when it was added and then again when it was gone), plus I had to undo all dependencies once it wasn't available for the next alpha.
I am tempted to use HugsLib though, since it's a lot more compact than CCL from what I can tell and may actually be updated on time. Having the options menu would help with a few issues where I just can't find a good compromise. Visitor frequency could be one of those.
Also I like the update message feature where I can notify people about gameplay changes when an update happens. Because instead of reading the update notes, a lot of people just ignore everything and write me complains.

I'm glad to hear that the mod has improved for you. Comments like yours are what makes it worth to put all the work into it.

Sirsim

Thank you for this cornerstone mod, i love to have guests and gather the gold they drop when trade :D
I am having a problem though. Is the frequency of the visitors affected by map position or other parameters?
I am having guests once in two seasons aproximately and i wonder if is some faction adding mod or more population storyteller responsible of that.
True self and happiness lies in the space between two thoughts.

Pichu0102

Quote from: Orion on February 18, 2017, 07:57:16 AM
Thanks about your thoughts, you clearly put some time into them!

I haven't had the time to try this mod with a "real" large colony. But usually once my colony gets larger, I have more idle colonists that can attend to guests. I do consider it a full-time job for one or more people that if neglected causes you trouble down the road.
So I'm curious what other people think about this.

Same with visitor events. A lot of people playing with this mod want to run a hotel-like colony and not having visitors then is boring (you want to be able to host multiple groups at once at some point). Depending on how the magic behind Tynan's event queue really works, it could be that queued visitors push away some other events, but it could also just feel that way.

Now there is a chance this escalates if you get very popular, to the point where you will have some people walking out in anger. This is a tricky balance to get right, and testing it on my own does not make up for lots of people with all their mod configurations, etc.
But this might also be a question of preference.

I've had my hands burned with CCL, causing 100s of support questions (when it was added and then again when it was gone), plus I had to undo all dependencies once it wasn't available for the next alpha.
I am tempted to use HugsLib though, since it's a lot more compact than CCL from what I can tell and may actually be updated on time. Having the options menu would help with a few issues where I just can't find a good compromise. Visitor frequency could be one of those.
Also I like the update message feature where I can notify people about gameplay changes when an update happens. Because instead of reading the update notes, a lot of people just ignore everything and write me complains.

I'm glad to hear that the mod has improved for you. Comments like yours are what makes it worth to put all the work into it.
Have you considered maybe having HugsLib as an optional dependency for non-essential things like options and changelogs? If it doesn't find HugsLib, it could fall back to good old editable text files for options and a CHANGELOG.txt. Hmm, but that's double the work. Might not be worth it.

Napple

faltonico

@Orion,
I'm glad you even consider my thoughts, there is no real rush to implement those changes though, none of them are critical, consider them ideas xD
Huglibs is rather new, but as you said, being more compact and the scope more limited would make it easier to update ... as i have read... unless Tynan changes everything Dx ...and i kind i hope he does... this memory restriction is bollocks.
I do have to play the new version, but a "shaky" bug is making my colony almost unplayable. =/

Quote from: Sirsim on February 18, 2017, 08:30:09 AM
-...- Is the frequency of the visitors affected by map position or other parameters?
I am having guests once in two seasons aproximately and i wonder if is some faction adding mod or more population storyteller responsible of that.
I have a lot of faction mods and it doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them. Also my colony in on the lefts side of the map. I think that if your guests have a bad stay they will take longer to come back. When you are popular as Orion said, you will end up having a lot of guests, and rather frequently.

Sirsim

-...- Is the frequency of the visitors affected by map position or other parameters?
I have a lot of faction mods and it doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them. Also my colony in on the lefts side of the map. I think that if your guests have a bad stay they will take longer to come back. When you are popular as Orion said, you will end up having a lot of guests, and rather frequently.
[/quote]

I maxed the relation rates and nothing changed.
True self and happiness lies in the space between two thoughts.

AngleWyrm

My experience has been that guests have been arriving at a comfortable pace. Recruiting some of them plus the occasional escape pod, wanderers and prisoners and I've got plenty of colonists.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

faltonico

Quote from: Sirsim on February 18, 2017, 05:40:25 PM
I maxed the relation rates and nothing changed.
It is not about relations, it is about how good their stay was.
When they leave there is a message in the upper left corner, it says they'll come back in a few days when successful, and when they hated it, they will not come back anytime soon or something in those lines.

Ruisuki

Can i try to recruit someone thats part of a caravan passing through my colony? I havent activated the mod yet wondering if itll work

faltonico

Quote from: Ruisuki on February 19, 2017, 04:24:04 AM
Can i try to recruit someone thats part of a caravan passing through my colony? I havent activated the mod yet wondering if itll work
Only for visitors.

Orion

Thank you for this cornerstone mod, i love to have guests and gather the gold they drop when trade :D
I am having a problem though. Is the frequency of the visitors affected by map position or other parameters?
There are multiple factors. The storyteller mod will affect if "new" visitors randomly show up. Visitors who leave will schedule their next visit based on the proximity of their closest base and how much they liked it. So if you choose to place your base on ice sheets, you're asking for peace and quiet.

Quote from: Pichu0102 on February 18, 2017, 08:36:41 AM
Have you considered maybe having HugsLib as an optional dependency for non-essential things like options and changelogs? If it doesn't find HugsLib, it could fall back to good old editable text files for options and a CHANGELOG.txt. Hmm, but that's double the work. Might not be worth it.
Yeah that's not a nice solution for me. While possible, I'll then have two scenarios (with and without) to error proof.

Quote from: Napple on February 18, 2017, 01:16:57 PM
Can you incorporate Marvin's "No Doomed Newbies" Mod to Hospitality. Here's the link

http://marvinkosh.omniloth.net/my-rimworld-alpha-16-mods/no-doomed-newbies/
I'll look into it when I have more time and motivation.

Quote from: AlexDeluxe on February 18, 2017, 01:02:48 PM
Hello, Russian translation updated :) --> http://www.mediafire.com/file/5ne7o6la29z0iov/Russian_hospitality.rar
Thanks, I'll add it to the next update.

faltonico

Quote from: Orion on February 20, 2017, 03:34:05 AM
There are multiple factors. The storyteller mod will affect if "new" visitors randomly show up. Visitors who leave will schedule their next visit based on the proximity of their closest base and how much they liked it. So if you choose to place your base on ice sheets, you're asking for peace and quiet.
Cool that you included that proximity check. Maybe that is why i have them so frequently then, my neighbors are rather close.