Call for Linux testers (closed)

Started by Tynan, October 04, 2013, 03:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winsaucerer

Hi,

I bought this game because it was said that it will eventually be released on Linux as well, so looking forward to that.  Answers to your questions:

* Experience testing: I do programming as a hobby, including having had a few stabs at game development, so I should be able to handle a bugtracker
* OSes: Linux (Ubuntu 13.04), OS X, Win 8, Win 7 (in a virtual machine).  I use Linux as my main OS at home, OS X on my laptop.
* Time available to help: Very little, but more than none
* Recording: Yes

wearedevo

Sign me up.

* Experience testing: I work for a large Linux and Open Source Software company. Though I'm relatively non-technical myself (compared to a developer or engineer), I've often done user acceptance testing and I use bug trackers on a daily basis
* OSes: Fedora Core 18
* Time available to help: Evenings and weekends - probably a few hours a week
* Recording: Yes, I've used Fraps and uploaded movies.

Soron

Hey, found a link to the Rim World Kickstarter recently, and it looks pretty cool. Base building game with logistics at a human-manageable scale, taking some inspiration from Dwarf Fortress and FTL? Yes please :). I'll dig into stuff a bit more, and probably donate later in the month.

* Testing experience is mostly from the dev side (I helped maintain a C++ project on Github for a bit, including vetting code submissions, and am currently employed doing dev work in JS/PHP/what-have-you). I'm comfortable with gdb (command line C++ debugger), and I know the value of having reproduction steps and/or stack traces. I'm familiar with bug trackers, although I've not seen the particular one you're using before.
* OSes: Ubuntu 12.10 w/Unity desktop, Windows 7. May upgrade to Ubuntu 13.04 w/Gnome desktop.
* Availability: let's say ~1hr some/most weeknights, and I could probably spend a moderate chunk of time over the weekend (several hours, at least). NZ timezone, btw.
* Video recording: nope, but I'd be willing to learn.

thekillergreece

I will try the game on Linux...I have Ubuntu(Linux) 13.4 so it should be fine.

• What's your experience with testing systems? Ever used a bug tracker before? Does the Ludeon bugtracker look foreign to you or familiar?

I have tested World of Warplanes BETA and found some bugs.Nope, Ludeon bugtracker doesnt seem me familiar, I should learn how to use it
• What OSes do you have?

Windows and Linux ;)
• How much time do you have to test?

I will have enough time to test it.
• Ever recorded and uploaded video before? E.g. with FRAPS.

Yep, but most on Bandicam.

Pug Majere

• What's your experience with testing systems? Ever used a bug tracker before? Does the Ludeon bugtracker look foreign to you or familiar?

I've been a software developer for 14 years, most of that time on Linux. Your bug tracker looks like a bug tracker, so it'll be possible to figure it out.

• What OSes do you have?

Windows, Linux, if I'm forced to: Mac.

My primary Linux box is Ubuntu 12.04 (and the one I'd probably test on), but I can magic up others in a pinch when I'm at home.

I'm going on a trip with 2 10-hour flights in the near future, so ... that makes for a bunch of dedicated time. :) I do have a day job, but this will probably pass the time in evenings, etc.

Haven't had a reason, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

bering

Hi,

I would love to help! I started programming some 18+ years ago. I attempted to write my own game engine in C++ back when DirectDraw was all the rage but got sidetracked by "real life"... I tried Unity 2 years ago and had a blast fiddling around with it but got sidetracked again. I came back to trying to make games this summer, and made something that is starting to resemble a game engine in HTML5 + JS. Then the Unite 2013 videos got my attention and I have been watching videos and tutorials for weeks and dusted-of my Windows laptop and re-installed Unity on it this very weekend. Your timing couldn't be better :-)

I know enough about testing systems to know that debugging your own stuff doesn't count. I did very little UAT at work since I am usually at the other end, asking users to test my stuff so I have to admit that I don't have much experience. About the bug report system, I discovered FlySpray about two months ago and I meant to give it a try so I'm looking forward to try it in production :-)

• What OSes do you have?
I have Windows 7 and Unity 4.2.1 on my laptop. I have been using Linux servers at work and at home for years. Linux desktops are another story... I used them for years at work but barely at home, sadly. The landscape is shifting though, thanks to Unity, Steam and Windows 8. I cannot wait to see what will happen to GPU drivers in the next few months, especially with Steam OS, Boxes and Controllers. I currently use Linux Mint 15 on my desktop and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on my server. I would probably setup a virtual machine to debug other distros but installing on physical systems to chase down really elusive bugs would not scare me.

I have a day job so evenings and weekends ...

Nope. Never tried. But... I work in Ottawa so, depending on your reasons for asking about that, it might not be necessary :-)

Congrats on the KickStarter, I still can't wait to try Eclipse Colony Ring World :-)

loki

hi there
been testing Rimworld now for a couple of days using the 254b Linux version for 64bit.
works perfectly for me.
###Setup###
i5 @2.7GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
GTX660 Ti Grafics
Ubuntu 13.10
##########
System ressource monitoring looks always good, too.

One thing that came to my attention is that when marking larger areas for mining, plant cutting etc. I have a short lag.

Other than that: nothing. pure fun!
stay alive - or die trying