Turtles from Hell!

Started by wolfpost, April 01, 2015, 03:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfpost

OMG, I f"ing" love this game! I had seen it before awhile back but the graphics turned me off. About a week ago I saw it on youtube while searching for another game and it looked intriguing despite the graphics. The learning curve is steep but manageable if your into the game. I love how the game somehow will make me die but never seem frustrating. I mean usually it has always been something stupid I did that caused it and not a computer cheat or glitch.

So any way, here I am for the first time with a viable colony with more than 4 people in it. I have fought off wave after wave of space pirates, killer squirrels and power outages that threatened to collapse the entire colony but I had survived it all without one single death. That was until the killer turtles came that is.

I get a message, "solar flare causes turtles to go mad."  No biggie I figured. I had more important things to deal with like putting out the fire that was threatening to destroy my power grid yet again than to deal with a bunch of crazed turtles. Or so I thought. Before I knew it, 6 of my 9 colonist were bitten or laying unconscious from turtle bites. One poor dude even got cornered in a mining tunnel and was killed out rite. One of the ones not bitten was still freaking out from poor moral because I harvested a prisoners lung for another colonist. So I managed to save all but the one that was trapped and put them to bed. Then the infections started. Ironically the one colonist I thought was sure to die lived while I lost 3 others to the infection.

Normally this would be so frustrating and I would start over or put the game to the side for a bit. But just the way the whole thing developed made me want rebuild and come back even better with my remaining colonist. Not sure if that possible because unless I find a major source of steal, I am near depleted and may not have enough to rebuild. Oh, my power grid is in shambles too because the fire wiped out like half of it while I was fighting the turtles off and trying to cure the survivors.

Love this game!

Boboid

Tortoises are literally the most deadly animal in-game, there's no shame in being wiped out by them :P
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

lusername

Nah, turtles are mostly harmless. Like every animal, they're utterly deadly in close combat, and they're nigh indestructible to boot, but...they're turtles. They move like cold molasses. Bunnies, on the other hand...I once saw a single bunny tear through an entire raider siege group. It was a scene directly from Monty Python.

Boboid

Quote from: lusername on April 01, 2015, 09:48:39 PM
Nah, turtles are mostly harmless.

Harmless in the sense that they hit extremely hard, cause bleeds, have like 70% sharp resistance + 20% blunt, have low profiles, and high hitpoint shells which act like torsos ergo they're the most frequently hit bodypart.

Totally harmless! :D

A colonist has a very good chance of killing a squirrel/rabbit/boomrat/boar/deer/monkey/snake with just their fists, Muffalo/Camels/Rhinos can be a bit dicey but they all do blunt damage so at least they don't cause bleeds..

Tortoises though.. They're killing machines! You can seldom kill them before they get to you, they decimate colonists in melee, and they cause bleeding wounds!

I mean sure you can kite half a dozen tortoises but.. hell my larger psychic waves can attract like 50 tortoises on 300x300, there's no killbox capable of handling that kind of tortoise volume!
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Listy

You think turtles are bad?

Megascarabs. Like turtles, but move a hell of a lot faster.

The scary thing is, even Megascarabs are not the worst. Boomrats. Fast, and if you fight back you get nine cells of fire to deal with, and they're as common as squirrels.
I've lost more colonies to a Boomrat charge than any other. Some colonies I see the Boom rat message and say "ahh well, it was fun", and just re-roll the colony.

wolfpost

I was thinking of Monty Python too when you mentioned rabbits. You know, I thought to myself how tough turtles would be if they "went wild," when I first started. I had no idea they actually did. LOL. These dam things were breaking doors down and entering my base to kill me while I was dealing with the fire and not paying attention to them. They also took out half my turrets so if I am attacked before I get them back up it's curtains. The one bit of luck I did have was it's winter time so no power to my freezer didn't spoil the food and I was lucky that I didn't lose the power line to my barracks and workshop or I would be freezing to death pretty soon.

skullywag

Turtles are the only thing surviving my purple ivy mod right now. Everything else gets consumed, they just wander on through not giving a f*ck.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

BetaSpectre

If you melee animals you're doing it wrong.

Boom Rats are situational. If you have enough they're the toughest out there. Esp with lots of wood and grass.

Turtles stay consistently tanky. Hope you have nades. But they're slow

Mega scarabs are annoying and deadly in their spawns in Cryo pods.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

MisterVertigo

Yes, the turtles are a pain. I've had more than a few colonist get messed up by a rabid turtle.

I also had a situation with a deer in one of my first colonies. I wasn't ready with my defenses yet, and I had a deer come in and impale my colonists. I know at least one died, and the rest were all pretty badly injured. That was a bad day in Shooterville.
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

Darth Fool

Time to bunker down...close the front door and just keep putting nails in to repair it until help comes in the form of a pirate raid...

BetaSpectre

If you decon a wall and run in circles for your k box or use nades turtles shouldn't be too annoying.

If you have enough turtles they'll get though use walls instead decon an inner door and make it wall
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

bartekkru100

Yeah, turles are slow, but if you forget to click "go to location" and then it catches you by surprise... And only fast firing guns are good against them, because before you shoot they are few meters away. Oh and snakes are also pretty nasty I had a guy that fell after four bites form cobra and it had 14 SHIV cuts...

Makz

Mad animals are annoying. How on Earth can one crazy squirrel get past security turrets and utterly kill one colonists and heavily damage another colonist?

thetj

Maybe it's because they are space animals, from different planets  ;)

Adamiks

Quote from: thetj on May 13, 2015, 04:13:21 PM
Maybe it's because they are space animals, from different planets  ;)

Actually.... Only Muffalos, Boomrats and AlphaBeavers aren't from Earth, but they have cousins from Earth.

BTW maybe this IS Earth? Who knows?