[A12d] Tools for haul. Animal will help us! V1.5d 22-10-2015

Started by BBream, April 17, 2015, 06:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omnix32

The bug is fixed where your colony won't do other things. GOOD

My first issue now is that they keep dropping the cart, going long distance to get the cart, then dropping it again. A whole lot of time is spent going after carts and dropping them places despite having a zone set to critical close by just for carts.

2nd Issue:
The cart seldom gets used. Once in awhile they will pick up 3 chunks instead of one, but most the time they grab a chunk and the cart is empty. I was hoping with the cart, they always would grab more than 1 item, but that is not the case even if the items are close together.

This coupled with them constantly dropping and picking up carts over a distance does not make the Mod extremely useful. They spend a whole lot of time going after carts which could be half of the map. They don't drop the cart in it's storage spot where it's close by. They very seldom put things in the cart, just once in awhile.

It's a good concept, but overall with my colony traveling long distance to get a cart, then sometimes only picking up one item and not using the cart, this mod does not actually help hauling items faster.

Thank you for the Mod, but for now I have to pass.

notfood

Backpacks are great though. I don't build carts anymore, they cause more trouble than help.

omnix32

I have not looked at the backpack.

3rd issue with carts is creating a drop area just for carts, by colony grabs them to drop off, but they all just started going around in circles with the cart in the drop area doing nothing else.

I guess I might as well see if the backpack does anything useful. I am really trying to like this mod.

have fun.

Edit: It looks like the Backpacks do haul more stuff and no issues yet. To me that is good news, will test more, but the carts need to go.

WHiZ

Its a pitty as i like the concept of the carts and doing hauling with your animals etc better than backpacks... the carts just seem more vanilla to me.. i just wish we could get a couple of the remaining issues worked out..

BBream

WHIZ's report
- Door is not closed if cart is passed.
- Cart is placed on door.
- The popup menu is lagged in it's appearance.
omnix32's report
- Cart is placed too far. Dismount Policy is changed: Home Area => Storage zone for cart or Cell near cart
- The cart seldom gets used.
- Started going around in circles with the cart in the drop area doing nothing else.
Thanks for reporting issues. I'm working on fixing it.

notfood, I agree your thought. I think it is unbalanced between cart and backpack. I need to adjust backpack and cart. Also I will solve cart problem.

BBream

Change Log
  V1.5c
  - Now cart's maximum item become 4.
  - Backpack's maximum stack is 50 per item.
  - Bugs related to door are fixed.
  - Dismount Policy is changed: Home Area => Storage zone for cart or Cell near cart
  - Now cart is not used if Hauling item is less than 50 persent of maximum item capacity(Typically less than 2 items).
  - Cart wheel is rotated if cart is moving.

I'm still finding how to find & fix the bug omnix32 report.
Quote from: BBream on October 14, 2015, 12:24:10 AM
WHIZ's report
- Door is not closed if cart is passed.
- Cart is placed on door.
- The popup menu is lagged in it's appearance.
omnix32's report
- Cart is placed too far. Dismount Policy is changed: Home Area => Storage zone for cart or Cell near cart
- Started going around in circles with the cart in the drop area doing nothing else.
Thanks for reporting issues. I'm working on fixing it.

notfood, I agree your thought. I think it is unbalanced between cart and backpack. I need to adjust backpack and cart. Also I will solve cart problem.

omnix32

Thank you for the hard work. I have kept the mod for the backpack as they don't cause many issues except they need manually emptied from time to time because of Job change or they are stopped from doing what they where doing.

nguadien

Report:
- If there is no zone for containing carts, colonists do not dismount carts at all. Right clicking these carts with items in them will show "No place configured to haul..." although I already had zones to contain these items.

- If there is a zone for carts, the same as omnix32's report: Going around with carts in the drop zone doing nothing else.

- Cart holds too little items. For such a large car, should hold more items (like, 8 items)

Yesterday 200 people raided me (3 factions attacked) and gosh, the work of cleaning their bodies after the battle is so terrible. It took me 4 days to haul all their bodies and all my colonists were haunted with Orbserved a corpse.

MindALot

One complaint was the limited number of items in a cart.

Instead of adjusting this number again and again for balance - why not create two carts (I know, more work, artwork, etc) - and have a "simple cart" that can carry a smaller limit of items and an "industrial cart" that takes more (resources/tech) to make that can carry more.

That way, we have access to something useful early on, but then can upgrade to a more industrial cart once we have the resources/tech to use it (and most likely need to move a lot more stuff).

The reason for the "small" limit for the smaller item could simply be power efficiency - while the colonists could make a cart capable of hauling 20 bodies, no one is strong enough to move that load over uneven terrain without advanced tech/assisted hauling.

From a coding perspective - you'd want a way for the actors to find the highest "quality" cart within range for the task involved.

One thing I thought about for searching for an unused cart - you should see if you can treat the area closest to the user of the cart as well as the area near the first item to be hauled as equal values (if you don't do this already).  Bonus points if you can find any carts "on the way" to the first item hauled.  I imagine the "on the way" search would be too expensive CPU wise unless you were awesome at optimization and pattern graphing.

BBream

Change Log
V1.5d
  - Finding items logic is changed.
  - JobDriver_HaulWithCart is improved.
  - DrawPos is adjusted for big animal.

omnix32 & nguadien's report
- If there is no zone for containing carts, colonists do not dismount carts at all
- If there is a zone for carts, Started going around in circles with the cart in the drop area doing nothing else.
- Backpack need manually emptied from time to time. It is Hard to fix it without losing savefile.
Thanks nguadien. Your detail report was helpful for fixing bug.

MindALot, I agree that it is needed to make "industrial cart". nguadien has undergone 200 people's raid so new tool is necessary. I hope I can add new contents ASAP.

About MindALot's post
- Cart is not applied quality system and item capacity is not related to cart quality. I'll think about applying cart's quality to its item capacity like backpack's.
- I'll check "on the way" search is good enough to apply it.

Edit: Understood. Quality means technology that cart is made by. And it has level from "industrial cart" to "primitive cart".

MindALot

Regarding this :  "Cart is not applied quality system and item capacity is not related to cart quality. I'll think about applying cart's quality to its item capacity like backpack's."

In my post, when I was talking about "quality", I was referring to picking the "industrial cart" over the "primitive cart" when available and within reasonable distance.

midaw

https://github.com/BBream/ToolsForHaul/issues/20
Character ignores the exclusion zone in the presence of objects in the backpack

my patch for v1.5d in attachments.
three checks "is forbidden" in the patch.

[attachment deleted due to age]

xiongyiwen

Quote from: midaw on November 13, 2015, 04:21:20 PM

Excuse me,What position??

BBream

Quote from: xiongyiwen on November 13, 2015, 07:38:57 PM
Quote from: midaw on November 13, 2015, 04:21:20 PM

Excuse me,What position??

- ToolsForHaulUtility.cs:187:Added line
  '&& !ForbidUtility.IsForbidden(item, pawn)'
- ToolsForHaulUtility.cs:207:Added line
  '&& !ForbidUtility.IsForbidden(item, pawn)'
- WorkGiver_HaulWithCart.cs:33:Added 'cart.IsForbidden(pawn)'

midaw

yes, it is all. use http://winmerge.org/downloads/?lang=en for merge text.