Learning skills

Started by Headshotkill, April 19, 2015, 04:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StorymasterQ

"I am a Noble. Hauling bricks is beneath me. But if I had just helped him with the turret construction, he may still be alive right now."

Shell-shocked      No longer incapable of Hauling

Something like that?
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Lonely Rogue

Rimworld: A game where you're kept as entertainment for thousand year old robots, and you just don't know it yet.
Any mod requests?

SSS

Quote from: StorymasterQ on June 30, 2015, 08:36:47 PM
"I am a Noble. Hauling bricks is beneath me. But if I had just helped him with the turret construction, he may still be alive right now."

Something like that?

That sounds really cool. :D

Branching off of that, it would be awesome if colonists had an events tab where noteworthy events that affected them individually in a significant way would be recorded. It could really expand the storytelling aspect of the game, I think.

Headshotkill

Quote from: StorymasterQ on June 30, 2015, 08:36:47 PM

Something like that?

That sounds very good but I'm not sure how you can make the AI realise it was the noble man's fault, who knows the turret wouldn't have saved the person that died?

I was thinking of a 'force enable' action which would give the noble man a strong debuf to his mood. Over time, and I'm talking about like half a rim year this debuf would dissapear. In stages like:
1. I can't believe I have to do such insulting tasks! (Mood -10)
2. I hate the jobs I have to do but I guess I have no choice. (Mood -5)
3. Although I prefer my old life, I should make the best of what I have now. (No more mood debuf)

Along with that I think there should be a new soft mental break down, melancholy. It wouldn't result in the person leaving the colony but it would make him a lot less productive, he will eat less, be more prone to illnes, make longer walks outside the colony and want more private time. It could go both ways from here on out, or he gets happier again or he goes into full depression with suicidal thoughts and more.

Segrog

This is a good idea, but I also think that most colonists should be permantly disabled with those skills and can't learn how to do them and only some colonists could enable these skills again.

JesterHell

Quote from: Headshotkill on July 01, 2015, 02:46:30 AM

That sounds very good but I'm not sure how you can make the AI realise it was the noble man's fault, who knows the turret wouldn't have saved the person that died?

I was thinking of a 'force enable' action which would give the noble man a strong debuf to his mood. Over time, and I'm talking about like half a rim year this debuf would dissapear. In stages like:
1. I can't believe I have to do such insulting tasks! (Mood -10)
2. I hate the jobs I have to do but I guess I have no choice. (Mood -5)
3. Although I prefer my old life, I should make the best of what I have now. (No more mood debuf)

Along with that I think there should be a new soft mental break down, melancholy. It wouldn't result in the person leaving the colony but it would make him a lot less productive, he will eat less, be more prone to illnes, make longer walks outside the colony and want more private time. It could go both ways from here on out, or he gets happier again or he goes into full depression with suicidal thoughts and more.

I think that incapable jobs should be treated like you suggested where you can enable them for a mood penalty but that the value of the mood penalty is dependent on the situation of your colony, What I mean by this is that the number of colonist should effect how they feel about doing the job, an example being.

1. with 7 or less colonists - "I guess if I want to survive I'll have to do everything I can" no penalty
2. with 14 or less colonists - "I know its about survival but surly someone else could do this?" -5 penalty
3. with 21 or less colonists  - "I can't believe I have to do such a demeaning task!" -10 penalty
4. with 22 or more colonists - "NO! get someone else to do it!" becomes incapable and refuses to do it anymore.

I think this way if you get a incapable colonist early in the game they can still be useful to the colony but they remain "incapable" in that they never stop disliking those job, even if they do the job for 10 years they still hate it they just accept that it has to be done... at least until theirs someone else to do it.

Headshotkill

*Bumb*

Been a while since I've visited these forums...

Adamiks

If they're incapable of something this mean that hey CAN'T do it or they don't WANT, learning is actually in the game. From "0" you can become a master. But i would like to see some mechanics that makes someone do it even if they don't want it, but in cost of humor. I think that there is a simple way to do it. In page when you can choose who do what, you could select skills even when colonists are incapable to do it, but these colonists would have this skill on 0 and learning would be really slow + they would be unhappy. For example if medieval lord would need to harvest a potato or he would starve i think he would do it, but i don't think he really would like to learn something about farming and he would really unhappy about it. Learning mechanic would be too hard to make.

P.S.
I lost internet connection... I though i will need to post it again. Hopefully this time my post saved.

b0rsuk

Before someone says: "neurotrainer", neurotrainers work by pouring experience into a skill. That means a person with no passion gets very little benefit. A person with a burning passion who is Too Smart will become a genius. Neurotrainers don't help people who need it the most.

Boston

Quote from: Demoulius on April 21, 2015, 02:51:04 AM
I think people not beeing able to do something, like cleaning or hauling; is more because they WONT do that work then that they cant do it. AS in, they believe them beyond that work and simply wont do it.

I think noble is one of those classes that simply wont do manual labour. People are to stuck up to adjust to their new lives as colonists.

Pretty much.

Hell, look at Jamestown, a GREAT real-world equivalent to Rimworld. The original settlers were all noble/"gentlemen", who essentially refused to do physical labor, believing it beneath them. They all were starving and dying from diseases until an authority figure (John Smith) refused to give them food until they got to work. Then, he got injured and sent back to England, the work stopped, and they all died.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamestown,_Virginia

NephilimNexus

Quote from: Demoulius on April 21, 2015, 02:51:04 AM
I think people not beeing able to do something, like cleaning or hauling; is more because they WONT do that work then that they cant do it. AS in, they believe them beyond that work and simply wont do it.

I think noble is one of those classes that simply wont do manual labour. People are to stuck up to adjust to their new lives as colonists.

"These sad saps. They come to Rapture thinking they're gonna be captains of industry, but they all forget that somebody's gotta scrub the toilets."