Rimworld issues and thoughts.

Started by thefinn, May 04, 2015, 10:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thefinn

One issue I ran into recently, was the ending.

Having played a lot of dwarf fortress and having so many different styles of endings there, the one thing missing seems to be varied endings.

The game almost always ends up with a drop pod group that get some kills
Then someone maybe dies from wounds because they logistically kill my guys before they can med up after the fight.
That's followed by another group that just comes in too soon afterwards or... Mechanoids.

That's pretty much every ending ever in rimworld right there.

DF by comparison just has a lot of other things that can go wrong - a lack of socks or a particular forgotten beast or even wildlife/indigenous weirdo's and it's all over.

On the idea of forgotten beasts, one of the things I really did like about that game was the random ability of the engine to create a creature completely from scratch. Whether it was a flying ape creature that spewed fire or a spider with the head of a goat - it was always original.

The maps does tend also to fill up with things dropping in from space randomly. I'd love to see those deteriorate faster when they aren't in some kind of storage space or zone.

I had these experiences on "the way rimworld was meant to be played" difficulty (can't remember the exact setting right now).

Tynan

The game just doesn't have the development time on it that DF does. So there will be less content and less variation (for now) not for any fundamental reason, but just because of time and dev scope.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

userfredle

LOL comparing dwarf fortress a game with over a decade of coding and one of the most massive open source communitys, to rimworld a game thats been openly worked on in the public for 2 years

Your expecting too much my good sir.

PS, i love dwarf fortress but rimworld wins my favorite game everytime.

Tynan

I love DF but we have to recognize *why* it is the way it is (14 years of continuous development, no graphics, barely any interface, lots of bugs) and take that into account while making comparisons.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

rexx1888

honestly, i cant compare them because i cant be buggered learning a whole new visual language just to play DF. Which is a serious flaw in the design regardless of how much extra development it may allow. Doesnt matter how clever your mechanics are if people dont see them.

Id argue though that im not the only one that says "bugger that" on seeing  DF, an that just that there alone means RW is a more well thought out game :P

so chalk that up as a win over the 14 year old juggernaut if thats your thing

Kegereneku

We are still going to get differents ending, right Tynan, right ?
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Turps

That is an awesome list Kegereneku and your events list rocks as well, nice one dood.
Its not a battle unless some limbs are getting shot off!

amul

Yeah, when I discovered DF, it was very exciting. But once you get familiar with it (and I personally went *deep* into the fanboy-love for DF for a while), you start to realize that a LOT of stuff has sat around unfixed for years. The game pre-dates multi-core processing, and the engine has never been updated. There's been HUGE changes in the way games are made and the way community can interact with games in the last decade and a half. Toady hasn't integrated any of it.

Mind you, Rimworld as it exists today couldn't have happened back then. The advent of "pro-sumer" multi-platform engines, multi-core processor chips....I'm sure the list goes on.

RickyMartini

thefinn

Quote from: Tynan on May 04, 2015, 11:28:50 PM
The game just doesn't have the development time on it that DF does. So there will be less content and less variation (for now) not for any fundamental reason, but just because of time and dev scope.

I guess we have to put "we understand this is alpha, but..." at the start of every post ? This was an "issues and thoughts" thread, not a "rimworld sux" thread.

I know DF has been around for many many years and I understand their lack of graphics.

However, given the way the graphics in Rimworld work - like the different heads can go on all the different bodies etc.. - then surely  some kind of dynamic "alien making" system is at least possible ?

userfredle

Quote from: thefinn on May 05, 2015, 11:37:17 AM

I guess we have to put "we understand this is alpha, but..." at the start of every post ? This was an "issues and thoughts" thread, not a "rimworld sux" thread.

If your read the very first post you would see that the OP was comparing DF to rimworld constantly in his post thats why tynan felt it necessary to clarify

LumiCrow

As a huge Dwarf Fortress fan myself, I enjoy Rimworld because it's more streamlined and makes more sense, ie. you can't lose your fortress because you don't produce enough socks, but you can have your colonists freeze to death if you don't have enough materials to make parkas (unlikely, but technically possible, one of my prisoners died because I forgot to put heating in their room).

That being said, I need more resources to not have, I'm having a tundra game and after the initial setup of getting parkas for everyone and quickly researching hydroponics, it doesn't really feel that challenging. Lack of wood is an issue before stonecutting, because you need all that precious steel for defences and other things. I'm from Finland and what I always expect in the winter is less daylight, and everything freezes. Maybe in the future colonists would need a campfire or cooker to unfreeze their food? Also extreme temperatures tend to lead to mechanical malfunctions or stuff just not functioning at all (security guns might need special oil and/or regular maintenance to work).

thefinn

Quote from: userfredle on May 05, 2015, 12:07:09 PM
Quote from: thefinn on May 05, 2015, 11:37:17 AM

If your read the very first post you would see that the OP was comparing DF to rimworld constantly in his post thats why tynan felt it necessary to clarify

well considering I am the OP, pretty sure I know what my intentions were.

And yes, I compare it to DF as that is exactly how Tynan himself has compared it in the past too!

RickyMartini

Your whole point, OP, was, that an issue of RimWorld is its lack of content.
The response from the dev was that it obviously lacks it, since it is in Alpha. I don't quite understand the point of this post anyway, it was kind of predictable that most responses would be a kind of "it's an early game" copy-pasta.

Rahjital

Well, it's just feedback. I think thefinn just wants to see more varied challenges in the game, so that your colony can fall to shortage of critical materials or products, or wildlife attacking (which actually does happen in Rimworld and is more devastating than raids), or a massively powerful monster/forgotten beast coming and singlehandedly destroying an unprepared colony. It's more of a suggestion than a critique.