Roofing

Started by killer117, May 29, 2015, 12:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

killer117

Id like multiple types of roofs. One normal and the other armoured. Because curremtly when i build a moutain base and i get sieged its fine, they cant do anything, but when i build an open base they blast my base to bits and kill tons of my guys in thier sleep. Id like a roof that could take 2-3 hits, just to balence out the risks, and you make this roof cost metal while the other dosent
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

Play2Jens

I don't know, isn't it realistic that roofs collapse when they take a hit from a mortar? Whenever you get a messages saying that there is a siege, you have to react immediately. Man your own mortars. Assemble a sniper squad. Call allies in to help. You have to react fast because these sieges are meant to be hard.

Although, in my opinion, the game should give the player a slight advantage. Certainly when the siege takes place in the first year of the settlement. I don't know, something like longer reload times for the enemy, less powerful shots or a longer setup time. It would be cool if siegers first had to set up personal tents to sleep in during the night.

Or maybe keep the artillery powerful, maybe even a bit more accurate, but let them aim at the outer walls of the colony in stead of randomly.

Adamiks

Hmmm.... You're right. I think the better idea for this is to make mountain roofs less durable.

Elixiar

The whole point of sieges, is you have to leave the safety of your settlement and destroy the threat. They are supposed To destroy your base and YOU are supposed to take a combat force and eliminate the hostiles or destroy their siege weapons.
Nothing in the game is overpowered right now that term is thrown around far too often.

Although about the overhead mountain I had a suggestion a little while ago with that there should be a low chance to cause rubble collapse of the mountain is hit. Seems realistic to me. Also, pretty much everything on tv ever has the base dropping soil or rubble when they get shelled so that could be the counterbalance.
Massive damage if you build outside, chance of a colonist getting crushed in the mountain,
Not 'OP'. Solution is all the same, kill the raiders don't flame for a mechanic doing its job.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

DustBust

I think the whole roof idea being more durable out of the materials you use for the walls is a good one, everyone builds in mountains and depending on when you get sieged, more of a pain early on but later its easy to react to. I still would like to have the option of building in the open but then you also have to factor in enemies coming from multiple angles and so on... would be nice to balance this though...

Elixiar

Quote from: DustBust on May 29, 2015, 02:41:56 PM
I think the whole roof idea being more durable out of the materials you use for the walls is a good one, everyone builds in mountains and depending on when you get sieged, more of a pain early on but later its easy to react to. I still would like to have the option of building in the open but then you also have to factor in enemies coming from multiple angles and so on... would be nice to balance this though...

Dude. There's a combat system for a reason, a very detailed colonist damage system for a reason. There's a multitude of weapons for a reason. And would you believe it it is NOT to sit behind a billion auto turrets so deep the game can't get you.
Challenge yourself. Build out in the open. You CAN lose the game that's the point, make it brutal for yourself.
Most of my colonies end in fire and blood and it's awesome! Stop complaining. Is it so hard to allow the game to exercise its power against you?
And NO kill box. Too many people literally box themselves into such a limited play style.
Multiple angles? Cover them. It's a great feeling to micromanage your last trooper against 3 mechanics while the rest of your people lay dead or dying and your base in flames and sitting in the mountain isn't the way to do that.

The game is supposed to kill your people. It's called rimworld not base simulator 5500 for a reason. Sadly too many people think it's the latter.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

Adamiks

Sorry, but this what you're saying is just bullshit. There is no "perfect" play style and Rimworld isn't created only for killboxes/bases in the open etc.

And Rimworld isn't called "Fight in the open Simulator 5500" for a reason ;)

killer117

I dont want to make an indestructable roof or anything, just an expensive roof i can put over one room and during a seige i can sit my guys in there and use it as a bomb shelter from thier mortars. This is mostly for early game seiges cause i find it almost imposible to take out a seige with a weak force of 4-5 guys at the start. This is more of a defensive mesure, an alternative to building under a moutain
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

Elixiar

Quote from: Adamiks on May 29, 2015, 05:43:20 PM
Sorry, but this what you're saying is just bullshit. There is no "perfect" play style and Rimworld isn't created only for killboxes/bases in the open etc.

And Rimworld isn't called "Fight in the open Simulator 5500" for a reason ;)

Well there's no need to swear at me. Please quote me where I said there was a 'perfect' way to play as I don't remember using that word.
I suggested that you try playing the game more like a rogue like than a basebuilder game. Too many people are scared to face danger and destruction and is why building in a mountain just makes more sense if you want to survive.

But if everything I said is a load of rubbish as you so elegantly put it, then you must be playing the wrong alpha because all those things I mentioned ARE in the game and are not cosmetic.

But hey if you want to defend your kill box to the death and get toxic about it... Well I guess you've part of the problem Tynan is hopefully on his way to fixing. :)

Also, poor comeback.

Adamiks

Yep. You do not said "perfect" but you said much more. Turrets are in game for a reason too. And there is no "better" play style, some people like the basebuilder game, others like rogue bases in the open. Everyone can play how he want and you can't change it, even by removing turrets from the game (heaters killboxes etc.).

You think that harder=better but no, Rimworld can be also a peaceful game. If Rimworld would be designed ONLY for fighting then pawns even wouldn't have backstories. In Rimworld little things like backstories, buidling system are pleasant, not only blood, murders and butchering.

Elixiar

Quote from: Adamiks on May 30, 2015, 12:44:54 AM
Yep. You do not said "perfect" but you said much more. Turrets are in game for a reason too. And there is no "better" play style, some people like the basebuilder game, others like rogue bases in the open. Everyone can play how he want and you can't change it, even by removing turrets from the game (heaters killboxes etc.).

You think that harder=better but no, Rimworld can be also a peaceful game. If Rimworld would be designed ONLY for fighting then pawns even wouldn't have backstories. In Rimworld little things like backstories, buidling system are pleasant, not only blood, murders and butchering.

Which rounds us off nicely at my main point, if you want to play peaceful go ahead, but don't get upset when the enemies attack you if you have threats on.

Adamiks

Quote from: Elixiar on May 30, 2015, 07:49:57 AM
Quote from: Adamiks on May 30, 2015, 12:44:54 AM

Which rounds us off nicely at my main point, if you want to play peaceful go ahead, but don't get upset when the enemies attack you if you have threats on.

Actually i'm playing on Rimsenal Storyteller (week=raid i edited it so now i have 5 days=raid), so like you see i'm not playing peaceful game ;)

DustBust

Quote from: Elixiar on May 29, 2015, 04:50:19 PM

Dude. There's a combat system for a reason, a very detailed colonist damage system for a reason. There's a multitude of weapons for a reason. And would you believe it it is NOT to sit behind a billion auto turrets so deep the game can't get you.
Challenge yourself. Build out in the open. You CAN lose the game that's the point, make it brutal for yourself.
Most of my colonies end in fire and blood and it's awesome! Stop complaining. Is it so hard to allow the game to exercise its power against you?
And NO kill box. Too many people literally box themselves into such a limited play style.
Multiple angles? Cover them. It's a great feeling to micromanage your last trooper against 3 mechanics while the rest of your people lay dead or dying and your base in flames and sitting in the mountain isn't the way to do that.

The game is supposed to kill your people. It's called rimworld not base simulator 5500 for a reason. Sadly too many people think it's the latter.

See your missing the whole point, this is a suggestion thread and the game is played however the user wants to play it, you're suggesting we play to your view point which is pointless, stop trolling through these forums and cutting up other players suggestions on a simple roof option. I actually enjoy setting up a kill box and playing a tower defense scenario with this game every now and then and if any developer is smart, they will design a game that can be manipulated to the largest gamer viewpoint and playing styles, not just a single way or don't play the game.

akiceabear

QuoteSee your missing the whole point, this is a suggestion thread and the game is played however the user wants to play it, you're suggesting we play to your view point which is pointless, stop trolling through these forums and cutting up other players suggestions on a simple roof option. I actually enjoy setting up a kill box and playing a tower defense scenario with this game every now and then and if any developer is smart, they will design a game that can be manipulated to the largest gamer viewpoint and playing styles, not just a single way or don't play the game.

While this game is played "however the user wants to play it", that is only within the framework provided. The game can't be everything to everyone - there are design choices which inherently limit some types of gameplay while bolstering others. I can't play it as a first-person shooter if I want. I can't play it as a 4X game if I want.

Tynan's development focus for A11 points to more variety in combat/defense, at the expense of (or new challenge to) tower-defense gameplay. I personally welcome this, as I share Elixiar's views. While some amount of tower defense is compatible with colonist combat as one of the main focal points of gameplay, if tower defense is buffed to much many players gameplay will inevitably drift towards that degenerate strategy. Tynan has posted before on the general point that players will tend to use strategies that optimize, even if they themselves know it is exploitative or not as "fun", and that he will try to reduce that with design. I for one welcome this.

Also, I think base builders are currently relatively well supported - play on the appropriate storyteller and difficulty. Having those options available, yet suggesting a rebalance at all levels to accommodate turtling, is punishing a type of gameplay unnecessarily. Note that the game is clear in its description that it is balanced for play on Cassandra Classic: Challenge, with other options provide for those alternative play styles. Perhaps just make a roof strength mod which that subset of players can use, without altering vanilla gameplay at all levels...

tonyalbott

Install metal or asphalt roofs by an experienced Roofing Contractor, this can lessen the risk of roof damage.They are experts in installing or repairing roofs.